Ewa Beach Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ewa Beach Area

My husband has accepted a new job and we are moving to Oahu. Although it's not something that we had ever planned for we're excited and looking forward to our new adventure. Our boys are grown so it's just the two of us.

I've been looking for places to live and am interested in the Ewa Beach area, specifically Ocean Pointe or possibly Ko Olina. We plan to rent for at least six months before we buy. (Gosh - housing prices are pretty amazing!)

Can anyone tell me if this is a nice area? I understand it can be quite warm but we're from South Texas so we're used to warm. My husband will be working on a project at Camp Smith. Will his commute be terrible?

I did a search on Ewa Beach and didn't find much. Any help you can provide will be very helpful.

Thanks.

Re: Ewa Beach Area

Camp Smith is in Halawa Heights, up a mountain ridge above Pearl Harbor. Actually, the base of that ridge is where Moanalua Freeway/H-1 and H-3 meet, so the commute would be relatively direct from many areas. Direct, but not neccessarily fast. From the Ewa plains to Halawa Heights, you'll hit the ghastly morning rush-hour... unless he starts work at 6 a.m., in which case, it won't be that bad.

"Ewa Beach" can span a wide range of neighborhoods, from old, lower-income communities to obnoxious, glistening new subdivisions. By citing Ko Olina and Ocean Pointe, I imagine you're thinking more in terms of the latter. Here's a website for Ocean Pointe, and a couple of Koolina developments include Ko Olina Hillside Villas and Ko Olina Kai Golf Estates. If you can afford those places, hey, more power to ya!

More generally, you'd be looking for places in Makakilo or Kapolei. Lots of development out here, so availability will probably vary quite a bit month to month!

Comment

We are expecting to pay between $2000 - $2500 per month in rent. I've looked at the Ocean Pointe website previously and like the idea of newer construction. We have quite a bit of equity in our current home and will put that in the bank and try to add to it until we decide to buy again, probably in the $400-$500K price range. I can't believe I just said that!!! If you would have told me five years ago that we would EVER be thinking of spending that kind of money on a home I would have told you that you were CRAZY!!! Of course that was before my husband changed careers. He is receiving a generous housing allowance because of the high cost of living in Hawaii. Thank goodness! Nonetheless, we will be buying half the size home for twice as much money as we spent in NC.

Comment

All my three children and their families live out in the Ewa Plains...they LOVE it. My youngest daughter and her husband recently purchased their first home in Ewa Beach.

Although I live in Honolulu, the church I attend is Anuenue Christian Church in Ewa Beach! The World's Little LEAGUE Champions are from Ewa Beach! There's all kinds of great resturants, entertainments, and stuffs for the children in the Leeward area ~ no need come into Honolulu.

Ewa Beach, Kapolei and the Leeward Area is a beautiful growing community. The only thing I would worry about is the traffic.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If you want to avoid traffic, where do you go? We've been spoiled the last year living in rural North Carolina where the only traffic jams usually involve a piece of farm equipment.

My husband usually goes into work pretty early - arriving by 7:00 a.m. Would that help him avoid the rush? Fortunately, I work from home so traffic isn't an issue for me.

We will be looking for a Lutheran church and my research shows there is a small one on Fort Weaver Road in Ewa Beach. We're looking forward to meeting new people and, hopefully, making some new friends.

We're coming over in a couple of weeks to look around although we won't be moving until the end of August after our beloved cat, Miranda, fulfills the 120 day waiting period required for direct release at the airport. There's no way I would put her in quarantine!

Thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
          X