stuff to do in maui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuff to do in maui

i'm going to maui for the weekend with the family and was wondering what are some of the "must do's, see or eats". mahalo!

Re: stuff to do in maui

You could go to Paia and watch sugar getting burned.

Or you could take a nice leisurely drive around the island!

Comment

Depends on what you like to do and where you're staying. If you like night life, sorry Charlie. Most sidewalks roll up at 6 p.m. (unless you're in the resort areas).

You could go hang out at the beach or drive to Hana (but that's an all day trip). If you get kala to burn, you can go to the Maui Ocean Center. Get plenty pretty fishes and honu there. You could go to Wailea and hang out with the rich and beautiful people.

When you go home, no forget to stop at Krispy Kreme and take some doughnuts home with you. Or go to Tasaka Guri Guri and get some quarts to go (they pack it in dry ice for travel).

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

much mahalos miulang... i figured i'd take the ohana to the maui ocean center. i forget the name of the shop that sells the cream puffs. also the store that sells good kine manju. any help on those? mostly we going just cruise and go beach. take some nice time off. got a good deal on flights $39 and hotel. mahalo again.

Comment

honestly, I would spend my time driving around the island (one day in Hana, the next in Lahaina, maybe do the early morning thing up Haleakala), taking pics, eating at different places along the way.

The beauty about the island isn't the stuff, its the scenery. Take it in whole.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by eatpoi
            much mahalos miulang... i figured i'd take the ohana to the maui ocean center. i forget the name of the shop that sells the cream puffs. also the store that sells good kine manju. any help on those? mostly we going just cruise and go beach. take some nice time off. got a good deal on flights $39 and hotel. mahalo again.
            The cream puffs are from Komoda Bakery, up in Makawao (on the main road through town). Gotta get there in the morning, though, because those babies sell out fast. Sometimes they have frozen ones that they thaw and sell like it was fresh. They also have malasadas that's filled with guava and lilikoi). Get two good manju stores: one is called Home Maid Bakery (their main store is on the Beach Road between Wailuku and Kahului). But you can get their stuff in places like Long's at the Maui Mall or some of the supermarkets. The other place is called Sam Sato Store. It's in the Wailuku Millyard area (by the post office). They have dry mein (famous on Maui), saimin and really onolicious turnovers (coconut, peach, peach pineapple, apple, blueberry).

Miulang

P.S. the sunrise thing at Haleakala is way overrated now because too many people go up there (and you have to deal with those idjit downhill bikeriders too). If you like quiet and just being with nature, better to watch the sun set from Haleakala. Not too many people go up there in the afternoon (and more importantly, neither do the bike riders!). And you probably won't have to fight for a parking space. And for sure you won't have to get up at some gawd awful hour of the morning (depending on where you're staying, it could be as early as 3 a.m.) to get there, either!
            Last edited by Miulang; July 13, 2006, 09:12 AM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

another thing: the beauty of Maui is that it is, in many respects, offers the closest thing to a "south seas" experience that you can get in Hawai'i. Take a boat ride to Lana'i or around Molokini. Indulge in that opportunity to island-hop. Just about all of our isles are "right there" off of Maui, and it is good to take advantage of that.

pax

Comment

Working...
              X