Advice anyone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice anyone???

Okay, I'm considering moving to Oahu in approximately 2yrs 2 months and have some questions and need some advice. I'm 24 and currently living in Atlanta, GA(which I'm getting sick of!!) and need to get out of here. I was on Oahu two months ago and fell in love with the place and people. I came to the realization that if I'm so sick of this place and am constantly vacationing(I mostly go to the Caribbean, been to South America, and most recently Hawaii) why not move. But since I'm an accountant and there are few opportunities for accountant's in the Caribbean, I thought Hawaii would best suit me because they do have a decent business industry. So anyone, is there a demand for accountant's in Hawaii? I've researched a couple of firms there, but wasn't sure if there was an actual demand for them. I've also thought of opening my own practice. Not quite sure.

Next, I would be moving with my girlfriend of six years(maybe my fiance by then?). I'm African-American and she's Korean so I was wondering how people feel about interracial couples in Hawaii? Over here in GA we get some stares here and there, but since we're so used to it, we don't really care anymore. I read another thread about how African-American are received so that gave me some insight.

Lastly, since I wouldn't be moving for two years, what advice can you offer about how I should start planning? In terms of money, cars, housing, etc? Where should I start planning and do you think I could live/afford to live on Oahu? I mean, I can't complaing about my salary and I'm just hoping the salary in Hawaii is comparable, especially considering the cost of living. Any comments would help.

Re: Advice anyone???

At the risk of repetition...repetition...repetition, please look at all the various threads running recently that already address many of your questions; I think you'll get a wide range of answers, but some should help you out (especially regarding the questions in your last paragraph.)

Interracial couples in Hawai`i - the racial makeup there is like nowhere else in the entire US; you'll find mixing of all imaginable kinds (often resulting in some of the most gorgeous keiki you'll ever find.)

Comment

Welcome to HT, Apocalypse. Being an interracial couple will probably not be too big a deal in Hawai'i, although most African Americans are associated with the military, so that might be a question locals might ask you when they first meet you.

Are you a CPA? If you're not a CPA, it might be difficult to find decent paying professional jobs as an accountant (there are plenty of jobs for bookkeepers, though). If you've read other threads here at Hawaiithreads, you will discover that despite the high cost of living, Hawai'i professional salaries are generally about $15-20k LESS than for comparable positions on the Mainland. It would also help if you specialized in something like international finance, because Hawai'i does a lot of business with Asia. I have a cousin who is a CPA who ended up being the comptroller for the Burger King franchises in Hawai'i awhile back.

One other way to go about this is to work for an employer in Atlanta that has a branch office in Hawai'i. If there's an open position in Hawai'i, it would be easier for you as an insider to get that position, and the company might help with moving expenses and a cost of living allowance, too. Besides Coca Cola and CNN, are there any other large companies that might have Hawai'i branches or subsidiaries?

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

One thing you need to consider is the risk of island fever setting in. Some people deal with living on an island very well, others feel very constricted. If you're sure you can do it, congradulations

Also, you might want to prepare for a professional career in Hawai'i by learning an Asian language. That, coupled with international accounting, would probably prepare you for the competition. This stuff is not my speciality (not a professional in any of this stuff), but in my opinion this would be good prep

As for interracial couples, like others have said, Hawai'i is probably the interracial couple capital of the world :P

Comment

Originally posted by apocalypse36
          I was on Oahu two months ago and fell in love with the place and people.
          This is what I posted to another n00b like you:

What exactly did you fall in love with? Most people fall in love with Waikiki, which I must say is not Hawai'i. And when they move here, they realize it's not exactly what they thought, and end up moving back to the mainland. Although Hawai'i does have many beautiful aspects, living here is not vacationing here. Since the state loves spending money in Waikiki and ignoring the rest of the state, again, Waikiki is far from Hawai'i. Just be aware.
          -Arturo

Comment

Perhaps I havent been here even close to long enough to offer advice on this but here is what Im thinking. The post above me was right on. I just moved from another tourist town, Las Vegas, and its the same thing there. People love "Vegas." They love what they see on TV, they love the atmosphere, and the non stop party. When people decide to move there, and they ARE moving there, its usually a shock. The city is crowded, traffic is horrible, and the people are just plain rude. People forget that anywhere can seem like paradise when you are on vacation. On vacation you arent worrying about jobs, or bills, or your loud neighbor. You are just plain enjoying yourself. That, combined with a place like Hawaii, or the strip in Las Vegas can be great.

With that said, if you trully feel you belong here than you need to do it. Plain and simple. It doesnt really matter what anyone else thinks does it? I packed up and moved here with almost no planning or notice, just the desire to follow my heart. I was born here and I knew I had to return, and the pieces just happened to fall into place to jump on it. And Im so glad that I did. I got the same advice you are getting, and I had coworkers and friends tell me Im nuts to leave so quickly, and to go somewhere so expensive. You need to be carefull of that because you start to pick up that kind of negativity. When I made this decision I told myself you know what, you only live once, and I'm not gonna sit around my whole life wondering what would of happened if I made the move. If you feel its right for you, get your ducks in a row and make the move. Whats the worst that can happen? You end up going back to the mainland. (Ok maybe not, you could end up pitching a tent here I guess.) Anyways, always do what you feel is best and right. I tend to talk myself out of things and Im glad I didnt let that happen this time. Just make sure you do your homework, and understand fully what it is your getting into. Either way good luck to you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rhscare
              If you feel its right for you, get your ducks in a row and make the move. Whats the worst that can happen? You end up going back to the mainland. (Ok maybe not, you could end up pitching a tent here I guess.) Anyways, always do what you feel is best and right.
              The "get your ducks in a row" is the key point. I think we're all glad you're so happy with your move, rhscare, but it's also a bit early to declare it an outright success. And even if you make it, as we all hope you do, it's no guarantee everyone else in the same position will.

Frankly, if you don't have an escape plan, you shouldn't make the leap. "You only live once," "what have you got to lose," "to hell with all the naysayers," all look good on a glossy motivational poster, but are pretty inadequate when it comes to a major life decision.

Ending up "pitching a tent" is a horrible end, especially given the growing scale of the homeless problem, the inadequate infrastructure that exists to address it, and the overall burden it places on everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h
                This is what I posted to another n00b like you:

What exactly did you fall in love with? Most people fall in love with Waikiki, which I must say is not Hawai'i. And when they move here, they realize it's not exactly what they thought, and end up moving back to the mainland. Although Hawai'i does have many beautiful aspects, living here is not vacationing here. Since the state loves spending money in Waikiki and ignoring the rest of the state, again, Waikiki is far from Hawai'i. Just be aware.
                -Arturo
                Funny, but when I visited, Waikiki was the worst part of Hawaii for me. What did it for me was the North shore and Kailua. Especially places like Hale'ewa and that whole area. The fruit stands along the side of the road, the little restaurants, and the pure beauty of it was just awesome. Waikiki was just a crowded city with nothing but tourists(me included) and though it had a nice energy with all the people, I don't think I'd want to live there.

It's funny, I see alot of posts from people who just want to drop everything and move there. For me, I'd love to have a part time residence in Hawaii, like 2-4 months a year. No one seems to consider that, it seems that all the people who want to move here want to just drop everything and just bail on where they are now. With the internet, and so many people working at home, it's more possible to do these days.
                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Miulang, I am currently in the process of getting my CPA. There are four sections to the test and I've taken 2. I've also considered learning an Asian language, probably Japanese or Chinese because those would be the most beneficial. Besides CNN and Coca-Cola, there's Home Depot, UPS, Delta and some other companies, but most likely I'd be working for an accounting firm like Grant Thornton, Ernst & Young, etc.

Arturo, let me rephrase myself. Because I dislike my environment and a lot of the people that go along with it, my enjoyment of Oahu is mainly because it seems that the environment is more conducive to my wants and needs. I know Waikiki is only a fraction of Hawaii and wouldn't base my decision just on that. I actually had the chance to do some exploring with my g/f away from the touristy areas, so that gave me a chance to get more of a feel. I would have to spend a LOT more time because I know vacation and reality are COMPLETELY different.

Because it wouldn't be for at least two years, I'll be getting my "ducks in a row." As much as I want to get out of here, I'm big on planning. I don't question people when they just get up and move to another place even as far as Hawaii. For some reason I somewhat admire it. As another person said, you only live once. I just know I couldn't do that. Thanks for everybody's insight though. Peace

Comment

Just gotta warn you about going to work for any of the big accounting firms, though. They have a tendency to bring in lots of new people right before tax season, and then after tax season, they get rid of the majority of people they just hired. One other thing you should probably become really familiar with is Sarbanes-Oxley (the federal laws that were enacted after WorldCom, Enron and all those other big companies were caught with their hands in the cookie jar). Used to be the "big 5" accounting firms...dunno what it's boiled down to now, with all the scandals. Arthur Andersen went belly up, Ernst and Young merged with somebody else, Deloitte is now a French company (I think). You'd be a whole lot safer working for a corporation that doesn't do accounting as its primary line of business.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      The "get your ducks in a row" is the key point. I think we're all glad you're so happy with your move, rhscare, but it's also a bit early to declare it an outright success. And even if you make it, as we all hope you do, it's no guarantee everyone else in the same position will.

Frankly, if you don't have an escape plan, you shouldn't make the leap. "You only live once," "what have you got to lose," "to hell with all the naysayers," all look good on a glossy motivational poster, but are pretty inadequate when it comes to a major life decision.

Ending up "pitching a tent" is a horrible end, especially given the growing scale of the homeless problem, the inadequate infrastructure that exists to address it, and the overall burden it places on everyone else.
                      I never once said it was a success. What I said was that I was happy, and thats something I havent been for quite awhile. And as far as me "making it not being a guarantee everyone else will." Your right. There are no guarnatees in life. Especially a move. Its a big deal, and you are taking big risks. There is one gurantee however: If you do what you have always done, you wil get what you have always got. Its easy to sit in the same place, with the same job, and the same people, doing the same thing every day. Its comfortable. There is no risk. This is how alot of people live there lives. Alot of people however, when they get older, look back and regret not doing things that maybe could of made them happy. I stand by what I said. You live once. Do what you feel is right. This doesnt mean be stupid about it. I said get your ducks in a row, meaning ensure you have enough money saved that if doesnt work out, you can go back to the mainland. I never insinuated anyone should just up and leave, without a care in the world and 20 bucks in their pocket. Everyone looks at life differerent. I see it as its too short to be somewhere you dont enjoy and are miserable. You should enjoy your life. If you feel Hawaii or anywhere else for that matter may help that, then do it. Like anything else in life, just be prepared for what you are going to do.

As far as "pitching a tent", I think we both know I was being sarcastic and wasnt offering that up as a ligitimate solution. I feel horrible for what those people have to deal with daily and wish there were more options for them.

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more rhscare. You only live once and that time that you do have is very limited. Take those risks that you want, enjoy your life to the fullest, and do whatever makes YOU happy. Congrats!!!

Comment

I figure we live every day till we die. So following dreams and enjoying the ride is all that makes life worth the hard times.

Living scared to try is not living.

You may not get what you want, but if you try sometime, you'll find you get what you need.
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X