Oahu Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oahu Weather

Planning an Oahu trip this fall/winter...probably just after Thanxgiving.

I've only been to the Island in the summer time. In the winter months, where is the best place to stay as far as weather goes ?...I want to either stay in Kailua or the North Shore (Hale'ewa)

I know different parts of the island have different rainy seasons, so obviously I'd like to avoid the rainy side at that time.

Also, if that time frame is when the North Shore is overrun with surfers from around the globe, I'd lke to avoid that too...not because I don't like surfers, but because everything will be booked and I won't have many options for places to stay...I'd rather drive up and see all the great surfing events, than stay in the middle of the madness.

I could stay in Makaha again, but I think I want to do one of the other 2 this time....that traffic on Farrington Hwy can be murder if I don't time things right. And I definitely don't want to stay in Waikiki.

thanx
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Re: Oahu Weather

recommended by a friend...

http://hawaiibestrentals.com/Lanikai...ahu,Hawaii.htm

Comment

Here is an option if you want to try something different. Stayed here a few times, very chill, very simple. Good price.

http://schradercountryinn.com

Address says Kaneohe but it is really in Kahalu'u. It is in a neighborhood area. They used to have free luau with slack key on Wednesdays. They used to have a free boat cruise on Saturdays.

Not much to do around there comparatively but it is a nice place to come back to at the end of the day.
      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Hey all...

Thanx for the tips on places to stay, I'm definietly going to check those places out.

What about that weather ? What part of the island is rainy season during that time ?

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
          Hey all...

Thanx for the tips on places to stay, I'm definietly going to check those places out.

What about that weather ? What part of the island is rainy season during that time ?
          Do you have a brother named Terry?

The windward side is the rainy side and for the time of the year you are going, it most likely will rain. Rain does not bug me, but if it bugs you, you might want to look at the leeward side for that time of year.

Locals feel free to bash me if this is incorrect...............

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
            The windward side is the rainy side and for the time of the year you are going, it most likely will rain. Rain does not bug me, but if it bugs you, you might want to look at the leeward side for that time of year.
            Every time I am with family in Kane`ohe, the radio says (on a daily basis) "Windward, chance of mauka showers." Can't avoid 'em. Sometimes, gully washers; other days, just a five-minute downpour (followed by a few hours of really steamy air, until the trades blow it all away.) Small price, I say.

Comment

[...]The windward side is the rainy side and for the time of the year you are going, it most likely will rain. Rain does not bug me, but if it bugs you, you might want to look at the leeward side for that time of year.

Locals feel free to bash me if this is incorrect...............
              Nope...no bash! The windward side is green and lush for a reason. The leeward side is more arid for a reason!

Comment

My old room mate (long ago) used to be the maintenance supervisor at Schrader's in Kahalu'u. Really neat hidden gem! Right on the water in Kaneohe bay, so you have immediate access to ocean activities. Get to know da' braddahs that work the boats and they might give you extra time or special rates.

It rains more often in that area (Kahalu'u), but that can be a GOOD thing for romance! The rooms may not be as upscale as say, Turtle Bay, but they're clean and comfortable and CHEAPER. As for dining, there's lots of options in Kaneohe, which is just a 15 minutes drive.

I highly recommend Schraders... especially for you since you're already familiar with Oahu.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Sorry Tiki'.. I missed the part where you said you wanted to AVOID the rains.

Basically the windward side, starting from Kaneohe, all the way to Kualoa and leeward valley areas such as Kalihi, Nuuanu, Manoa, etc. will be rainy for the most part, regardless of season.

Kailua town also gets its fair share of cloud cover, if not rain also, from build-up on the Koolau's and remnants over Kaneohe.

Hawaii Kai is mostly sunny (and beautiful) all year long. I haven't done research on vacation rentals out here, but if there are, they'll certainly be pricey.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

OK Then, Kailua may not be where I want to be.

How about the North Shore ? Hale'ewa, Turtle Bay etc ?

If all else fails, I can stay at the Hawaiian Princess again in Makaha. The beach it's on is surely beautiful, and it's great to wake up to the sound of the waves everyday. Just that drive to get to other parts of the island is a buzzkill sometimes.

Comment

[...] If all else fails, I can stay at the Hawaiian Princess again in Makaha. The beach it's on is surely beautiful, and it's great to wake up to the sound of the waves everyday. Just that drive to get to other parts of the island is a buzzkill sometimes.
                      The Princess is a great place to stay. And, you're right...that beach is gorgeous. The thing I love about the extra drive distance is that it's a beautiful drive. The down side? The price of gas and the extra miles! Every area has it's pros and cons but I've live in Makaha for 14 years and, for me, the cons are worth it. Fortunately I don't have to commute during peak traffic hours so unless there's an accident it's mostly smooth sailing both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                        The Princess is a great place to stay. And, you're right...that beach is gorgeous. The thing I love about the extra drive distance is that it's a beautiful drive. The down side? The price of gas and the extra miles! Every area has it's pros and cons but I've live in Makaha for 14 years and, for me, the cons are worth it. Fortunately I don't have to commute during peak traffic hours so unless there's an accident it's mostly smooth sailing both ways.
                        The Princess is great. Definitely a great place to stay, and that beach is just amazing. I ran into traffic at all hours when we were there last time...10,11:00 at night...it was crazy. That being said, I would definitely stay there again, cos it IS beautiful there on the Waianae Coast, but I wanna try something different this time.

Someone from one of the rentals told me that in Kailua, Nov/Dec is really nice with temps in the high 60s-low 70s at night and mid 80s during the day. The showers are normally at night and then it's sunny during the day.

If the days are sunny and we can enjoy the beach at Kailua Beach Park, I'd be fine with some night time rain.

You guys tell me ...

Comment

How about the North Shore ? Hale'ewa, Turtle Bay etc ?
                          Remember your concern about being overrun.......... Most of the professional events occur between November and February.

Not too bad if you are doing it alone, you can always find a place to crash if you have a good vibe about ya but if you are travelling with family, well, it is going to cost you a lot of Bette Midler movies.

Comment

Remember your concern about being overrun.......... Most of the professional events occur between November and February.

Not too bad if you are doing it alone, you can always find a place to crash if you have a good vibe about ya but if you are travelling with family, well, it is going to cost you a lot of Bette Midler movies.
                            Right...the surfing season...so I'm concerned about that too...It's me, my fiancee and 15 yr old daughter. We're ok with some excitement, but surf ragers until 4 am in the condo next door will be a bummer.

I don't understand the Bette Midler part {:-/

Comment

I don't understand the Bette Midler part {:-/
                              It is a 'married' thing.

For example, "remember when we went to Hawaii and we had to sleep on that porch for a week, could you pop in 'Mermaids' for the 687th time, only 24,582 more to go, honey" ***spoken by your significant other with a tight lip smile and an evil gleam***

Comment

Working...
                              X