Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new doc to hawaii

hi all,
    i m going to do a temporary (locum tenens) job as a physician in hawaii, kaiser moanalua medical center. My accommodation will be provided but they will ask for my preferences, and i want something close to the med. center, like walking distance. Does anyone know if apartments/rental housing available in that area?

also, i have a question about security. How is it in that area?

Also, is there public transport available, like cab?

Re: new doc to hawaii

others will be able to give you more detailed info but the area closest to the hospital is, i believe, salt lake. do a search for a map of the area and you'll see what i mean.

the hospital isn't located in a residential area (it's near a freeway) so an easy walk isn't likely, though not impossible. i mean, there might be something just across the bridge... i don't know.

safe? yeah, it isn't crazy violent. it probably has its share of property theft. nothing to worry about.

cab service? absolutely.
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

mrizavi -

Welcome to HT... sorry if this is off topic... just a medical question?

How does a doctor verify that a patient has Severe Nausea.

Thanks for any answer you may be able to provide!

P.S. to stay on topic... yes we have Cab's.

Comment

Originally posted by mrizavi
        hi all,
        i m going to do a temporary (locum tenens) job as a physician in hawaii, kaiser moanalua medical center. My accommodation will be provided but they will ask for my preferences, and i want something close to the med. center, like walking distance. Does anyone know if apartments/rental housing available in that area?

You could live in Moanalua Valley, but I would imagine those would be some tough rentals to get. They are all houses in there. Then there's Salt Lake across the freeway and you could walk under the overpass. If you're working MOanalua, you better get a car.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

There's several apartment complexes and condos up the hill above Kaiser Moanaloa. Take a right after First Assembly of God Church. Walking distance 15 to 20 mintues.

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            There's several apartment complexes and condos up the hill above Kaiser Moanaloa. Take a right after First Assembly of God Church. Walking distance 15 to 20 mintues.

Auntie Lynn

I guess it's been a long time since I worked at Kaiser Moanalua...they used to be subsidized housing units.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Well, I'd say Kaiser Moanalua is sort of located in a residential area... a friend of mine lives on on Ala Aolani across from the golf course, which is definitely walking distance. But yeah, those are single family homes, and I doubt there's much rental activity or turnover.

I know there's a lot of military housing around there... and I guess 1stwahine is talking about Moanalua Hillside Apartments. Beyond those, Salt Lake is most definitely your best bet for rental inventory. It ain't Hawaii Kai, but it's home to tens of thousands of locals. It might be a bit of a hike on foot, though. The good news? Public transit ain't bad in Honolulu. Looks like you'd take one of these routes (PDF) from Salt Lake to Moanalua Rd. (though it's an uphill climb from Moanalua Rd. and Ala Aolani).

And of course the Kaiser Moanalua clinic is large enough to always have taxi cabs cycling through (that'll get you home easier than it'll get you to work, though).

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                I guess it's been a long time since I worked at Kaiser Moanalua...they used to be subsidized housing units.
                I too lazy to find out the names. Maybe laterz. I'll call the church for information.heheheh

One of my friends lived there.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

if you like or don't mind cycling, you can get to and from work very easily if you score an apartment in the salt lake area... (and when it rains, you could always catch a cab. it's very close.)
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by mrizavi
                    hi all,

Yeah I guess Kaiser Moanalua should be a secure enough of a place to wander it's halls at night

When you could monitor police communications with a Radio Shack scanner I'd hear a lot of car break in's on Ala Ilima Street which is close enough to Kaiser Moanalua. High density areas tend to attract high crime rates so just be aware of that.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      mrizavi -

Welcome to HT... sorry if this is off topic... just a medical question?

How does a doctor verify that a patient has Severe Nausea.

Thanks for any answer you may be able to provide!

P.S. to stay on topic... yes we have Cab's.

When the patient starts throwing up all over the Doc's brand new Porche after receiving his bill from him. Yep when the vomit makes the paint bubble, that's pretty severe nausea
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        When the patient starts throwing up all over the Doc's brand new Porche after receiving his bill from him. Yep when the vomit makes the paint bubble, that's pretty severe nausea

Manoa's still trying to figure out how to qualify for medical pakalolo

and my apologies to all, especially the person who started this thread - we have probably just totally confused him/her and they will leave, just shaking their heads.......................
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

doh anapuni... I know how to qualify (my mom did recently) I want to know how a doctor is able to determine true Nausea...

Comment

sorry, I just assumed you were joking as you do quite often. No offense was intended.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                            X