What's it like living in Kaneohe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it like living in Kaneohe?

Does anyone live or has anyone lived in the Kaneohe area? My wife and I are looking at a couple of places over there and were wondering what's it like?

Re: What's it like living in Kaneohe?

Originally posted by luv2dive
    Does anyone live or has anyone lived in the Kaneohe area? My wife and I are looking at a couple of places over there and were wondering what's it like?
    I've neva been to the Big House. Been close. Castle Hospital. Wuz nice. Cool, quiet and serene. My resting place going be at Hawaiian Memorial. Das dat count?

Auntie pUpule
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I like Kane`ohe, but that's because it's where I spend most of my time when I am in Hawai`i; my Alpha Female's family has lived there for generations. No "center of town" to speak of, but all the basic amenities are there. Easy to get around O`ahu or into town, either by slower roads or busier highways. Accurately defined as a "bedroom community" of Honolulu, as is Kailua. Many decent eateries between Kane`ohe & Kailua, too. Plus --- Windward Side! Get a little rain from time to time = beautiful growth of flowers and greenery.

Oh - AF's a Castle '82 grad.

Comment

I'm from Kailua, which is next to Kaneohe. kaneohe is beautiful, it rains a lot, becuz its nestled against the Ko'olau Ridge. When the clouds roll in, they get caught by the mountains and it blesses Kaneohe with refreshing showers of rain. The hillside area is lush and green. Check out the botanical garden, its gorgeous!
        Tristin-Mataiva . . . . . Zoom, Zoom, Zoom! ! !
        I sell cars...TTFN, have a nice day and Drive Safe!!!
        email: zoomhawaii@hotmail.com

Comment

Kaneohe is nice. It's more laid back than town side. People actually do the weave automatically (like when two lanes merge to one). It has more of semi rural feel to it. Still no parking meters or pay for park garages. Traffic is really not bad considering how far it is from town. Food places are more of the fast food or plate lunch takeout type although there are a few nice sitdown restaurants...or you can just take a 10 minute drive to Kailua and get more variety of sitdown and bar restaurant types. There is one big mall and scattered strip malls. Kinda on the wet side (if you're the type to run for cover when it's drizzling rain).

I like it. I actually was born and raised and currently live in Kahalu'u which is on the outskirts of the main Kaneohe town.

Comment

It's grrrreat! But it's big enough that there are good parts, and better parts.
            Specifically what part(s) are you looking at? For instance, Haiku Gardens area is mosquito heaven. And yes, different parts of Kaneohe get different amounts of rain. Less rain closer to the bay; much more rain closer to the mountains. I live right on the bayfront, and quite often only get tiny 'blessings' here but it's pouring like crazy a couple of blocks away.
            And judging by your screen name, you love to dive, eh? Do you like hammerhead sharks?
            Got any more specific questions? Glad to help...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I have a couple of loved ones interred at Valley of the Temples in Kaneohe ... the whole of Kanoehe looks like a very nice place to live.

Comment

I've moved around Hawaii a lot, but my favorite places to live have been Kailua and Kaneohe.

I identify more with Kailua, though I'm currently living in Kaneohe.
                The place I'm in, near Windward City Shopping Center, seems cooler to me than most of the Kailua places where I've lived. There may be micro-climate-type reasons for that -- just as there are for varied rainfall, as Lika Nui mentioned.

I don't know what it is lately but I've got mosquitoes out the yang -- and I'm nowhere near Haiku Gardens. I also can't find any standing water around my house, so I dunno wassup.

Anyway, I'm a Windward-favoring girl, (lived on the WW side of the Big Island, too) and I definitely endorse the whole general area.
                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                  And judging by your screen name, you love to dive, eh? Do you like hammerhead sharks?
                  Got any more specific questions? Glad to help...
                  So, what's up with the Hammerhead sharks ? Lots of them in that area?
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I live in Kaneohe...specifically Haiku Gardens area where it DOES rain more but everything is so lush. If you want tropical...then it's the place to be. The driving into Honolulu is a piece of cake down the Likelike Hwy. and the drivers are much nicer than over in Honolulu. The lifestyle is slower and much more like what Oahu used to be like when I lived here back in the 70s. Yes, we have more mosquitoes than when I lived up on a ridge in East Honolulu but over there we had those HUGE centipedes and scorpions so I'm not gonna complain about the skeeters!

Comment

Yes, I do love to scuba dive and I do love sharks. I know that Kaneohe Bay is a nursery for baby hammerheads, very cool! I also love to golf and I know that Koolau is a gorgeous course, right against the mountain. I understand it's also one of the most difficult. Any golfers out in HT-land?

We're looking at a couple of places in the Valley of the Temples area. Before we were strongly considering the Ewa Beach area, but I think the windward side is more our style. Are there alot of cane spiders in the area? Probably not since there isn't any sugar cane around.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the positive remarks about Kaneohe.

Comment

I also love to golf and I know that Koolau is a gorgeous course, right against the mountain. I understand it's also one of the most difficult. Any golfers out in HT-land?
                        If I recall correctly, Ko`olau is a private course, while Pali is public (the AF's dad used to teach golf, and is still an avid golfer as a retiree.)

Comment

Koolau was supposed to be an ultra exclusive private club that a Japanese group built, but for some reason (I think they didn't have enough membership) they have made it open to the public, which is great. I also hear that Olomana Links, in Waimanalo, is also supposed to be a pretty good course.

Comment

We're looking at a couple of places in the Valley of the Temples area. Before we were strongly considering the Ewa Beach area, but I think the windward side is more our style. Are there alot of cane spiders in the area? Probably not since there isn't any sugar cane around.

I only had cane spiders when I lived up in Makakilo above what was then sugar cane fields. Haven't seen any here in Kaneohe. Cane spiders didn't really bother me as much as the centipedes and scorpions did.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                              So, what's up with the Hammerhead sharks ? Lots of them in that area?
                              Oh, hell yes! Kaneohe Bay is their breeding ground!
                              It's funny that lots of folks claim hammerheads aren't dangerous unless 'cornered', yet there was a recent special on sharks on the Discovery channel about The 10 Most Dangerous Sharks and, yep, hammerheads were one of 'em.
                              But dang, those little baby hammerheads are so darned cuuuute!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X