Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Transplant to HI for work. Looking for any & all advice. Plz. Thx.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Transplant to HI for work. Looking for any & all advice. Plz. Thx.

Aloha,

I currently live on the East Coast and have been offered a position in HI for work. They actually have 2 or 3 requisitions they are looking to fill so I don't know which it would be. One is in Hilo, one in Kuaui and I don't recall the location of the third.

I have done the tourist thing in Oahu, but really have no basis to judge what living would be like there, so I've come across this site hoping to get some good, honest feedback from ideally folks who have relocated themselves.

I know the cost of living is quite expensive, and travel home is a consideration, but what are some of the other considerations that are possibly not as obvious.

How do the local's take to transplants? I've heard that the locals are very good people with a extremely deep connections with their home and therefore are somewhat cautious and don't really "welcome" transplants with "open arms."

What are Hilo and Kauai like as far as places to live both with the people that live there and the area?

Lastly, I've got a cat and a dog. My dog's a pretty big Rottweiler, but they're all up-to-date on their shots. I've heard that HI has a process of quaranting pets new to the Island? Is that so, and if so, what are some other things I'd need to know about relocating pets?

I'd love to get as much input, feedback, advice and information as folks can offer me.

Thank you in advance, very much, for the time!

- East Coast to Pacific
    Last edited by Deadhook; August 12, 2006, 05:35 PM.

Re: Possible Transplant to HI for work. Looking for any & all advice. Plz. Thx.

On bringing pets, all the quarantine information you need is here.

As for various islands, Hilo (on the Big Island) and Kauai are both smaller, rural, and slower moving. Honolulu has its rural areas, but is generally considered the "big city" island.

As to how locals welcome transplants, there are, oh, a few dozen threads on this topic here. You'll see a wide range of responses to similar questions, which should tell you that you can't expect all locals to have the same response in person, either.

If you don't come with a chip on your shoulder (i.e. expecting, and therefore looking for, trouble), if you don't try and pretend to be a local, if you can stop yourself from comparing Hawaii to wherever you're from and keep your mind open to all that Hawaii can be (good and bad), you'll be fine. Attitude matters ten times more than any other trait you've got.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadhook
      How do the local's take to transplants? I've heard that the locals are very good people with a extremely deep connections with their home and therefore are somewhat cautious and don't really "welcome" transplants with "open arms."
      It varies from person to person, both in terms of the incoming person and the local person. But if I had to generalize your typical local person they might not roll out the red carpet or give you the keys to the city but on the other hand they won't you run out of Dodge City or storm your place using torches and pitchforks.

Comment

Great, thank you both, very, very much. My girl and I are both extremely laid back people, very easy to get on with and in all the places we've lived have always made friends quickly and been well received.

Comment

What about the area overall in Hilo? How about the areas in Kuaui? Nice areas? Lots of good beaches? Clean and well populated? Lots of good retail and amentities?

Comment

It's Kauai and not Kuaui. As a suggestion be careful of the beaches on the East side of Kauai, ocean conditions on that side of the island can get hazardous.

Comment

Lots of good retail and amentities?
              what could that mean?

what would "bad retail" uh... entail?
              Last edited by kimo55; August 12, 2006, 07:12 PM.

Comment

What about the area overall in Hilo? How about the areas in Kuaui? Nice areas? Lots of good beaches? Clean and well populated? Lots of good retail and amentities?
                Hi Deadhook.
                Disclosure: I work for the Honolulu Star-Bulletin (columnist/reporter) so it is from that bias that I offer you this link to a story about home prices on the Big Island and Kaua'i. (The story starts out talking about Maui, but just keep reading, and note the chart as well).

http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/11/b...s/story01.html

Here are Realtor association links, followed by the official State of Hawaii Web page where you can find out some nuts and bolts about living in Hawaii. (Not as much as you'll learn here, perhaps -- search the threads using "relocation" or "moving to the islands," etc.)

Hawaii Island (Big Island -- including Hilo) Board of Realtors:
                http://hibr.com/

Kona Board of Realtors (Also Big Island, but other side of the island):
                http://www.konarealtors.com/

Kauai Board of Realtors:
                http://www.kauai-realtor.com/

Realtors Association of Maui:
                http://www.mauiboard.com/

Honolulu Board of Realtors (covers Oahu, the "big city island" as PZ called it):
                http://hicentral.com/

State of Hawaii Web portal:
                http://pahoehoe.ehawaii.gov/portal/

BTW, pahoehoe is a type of lava (yes, there are others).

Hope that helps!
                Last edited by Erika Engle; August 12, 2006, 07:25 PM. Reason: grammar, clarity, the usual.
                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

If you're coming from a large East Coast city, then I think you will be sorely disappointed by the retail opportunities and amenities that Hilo and Kauai would offer. You want bright lights, big city, transfer to Honolulu. The Neighbor Islands are slightly more laid back than big city Oahu.

Kauai has a few nice beaches, but I don't know much about the beaches in the Hilo area.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hi Deadhook:

Disclosure: I read Erika's column religiously. Erika would have been helpful any how!

I live on Oahu now and would love to move to the Big Island but I can't now because the jobs are very limited in my field.

The state is always looking for teachers if you have any teaching credentials.

What kind of background do you have and we can probably be more informative on the chance of employment in such chosen field.

Comment

I would have to disagree with Miulang.

Hilo has a few retail opportunites if you are willing to work retail.
                      However, the pay is not that good and many companies only hire p/t employees.
                      I always scan the help wanted jobs in the Hilo paper and there always seems to be retail opportunities.

If your able to support yourself on a retail job...then go for it. I wouldn't be able to.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        what could that mean?

what would "bad retail" uh... entail?
                        seriously? good retail, opposite of bad retail. as in, good stores, good availability for shopping, reliable places, lots of places to shop etc. good retail.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                          Hi Deadhook:

Disclosure: I read Erika's column religiously. Erika would have been helpful any how!

I live on Oahu now and would love to move to the Big Island but I can't now because the jobs are very limited in my field.

The state is always looking for teachers if you have any teaching credentials.

What kind of background do you have and we can probably be more informative on the chance of employment in such chosen field.

I would be moving there for work. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it, but jobs aren't an issue. The whore reason I'd move is because my company is offering me a position there.

Comment

The whore reason I'd move is because my company is offering me a position there.
                            well, the whore will wanna know what position it would be...

Comment

seriously? good retail, opposite of bad retail. as in, good stores, good availability for shopping, reliable places, lots of places to shop etc. good retail.
                              HOOOboy, I can't go there. except to say once again, the shopping there, as it is... should be good enuff for ya. if it ain't, go to honolulu.

Comment

Working...
                              X