Registering a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering a car

I'm assuming that I would need a HI residence which won't be a problem, but do I need a Hawaiian license? I am moving to Oahu for roughly a year and I was not planning on obtaining one. Thanks in advance.

Re: Registering a car

you ca licence is good here until its exp date.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane350
      I'm assuming that I would need a HI residence which won't be a problem, but do I need a Hawaiian license? I am moving to Oahu for roughly a year and I was not planning on obtaining one. Thanks in advance.
      Everything you want to know at your fingertips!
      DMV Hawaii @ http://www.dmv.org/hi-hawaii/departm...r-vehicles.php

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

kimo55, I am coming from Boston but I'm sure my MA drivers license is still good. I was wondering about the registration process.

Auntie, thanks for that link but I've already been there and couldn't come up with a definitive answer. I just would like to know if anyone has been through what I am about to do... Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't hurt to ask

Comment

Are you trying to ask for info on registering your car? 'Cause the link Auntie sent has all the info about bringing in a car from the states, you need the shipping info, safety check, insurance and so forth.
          Live for today....tommorow is never promised

Comment

Your answer is NO, you do not need to register your car as long as your registration and license are current. You do not need to get a license unless you want to since you are not staying to live in Hawai'i.

Good luck!
            Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
            Mark Twain

Comment

No, I wasn't planning on bringing my current car. Thats why I can't find the info I need. I plan on purchasing a car when I get to Oahu, but I'm not sure if I need to have a HI license. That was my question. My dilemma is that I only planning on staying a year, so I didn't want to change my license...

Comment

You don't have to have any specific state license to buy any car anywhere. Just like I can drive to CA or WA or IA and buy a car with my Oregon llicense. That's the DMV rule plain and simple, just have to have a valid US license.
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

You do not need to have a license to own a car in Hawaii. The title/registration process does not ask for a driver's license.

However, getting insurance on the car is a different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by localgrl
                    ...all the info about bringing in a car from the states,
                    Yes, Localgrl, especially when coming to the non-state of Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
                      Yes, Localgrl, especially when coming to the non-state of Hawaii.
                      haha I got it, I always do that...refer to CA or any other state besides Hi as the other state! I know HI is one of the states....it's just one of my "duh" moments

Comment

haha I got it, I always do that...refer to CA or any other state besides Hi as the other state! I know HI is one of the states....it's just one of my "duh" moments

I'm sure Kimo55 appreciates your distinction however
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          Well, he probably will...if he returns...

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                            Uh oh....Is dat a good ting or bad, I've read previous posts from Kimo55

Comment

Uh oh....Is dat a good ting or bad, I've read previous posts from Kimo55
                              In this case: good. He sits comfortably on the side of "don't lump Hawai`i in with the rest of the states."

Comment

Working...
                              X