Debating job offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debating job offer

I have just received a job offer for a position located in Ewa Beach. Going into the interview process I never thought that I would actually get the job and now that I actually have the opportunity I'm very tentative about actually making the move. My scenario is as follows:

I am 25, single, and have no children. I have two good friends from college who already live out there and recently purchased a house about 15 minutes (according to them) from where I would be working. So I will have a place to stay for as long as I can stand having roommates again, which may not be long. When that time comes I would like to find a one bedroom apt. The job offer carries an annual salary of $60,000 to start. I have two main concerns, one being the will I be making enough money. I would still like to be able to save some money while out there, and if this not possible with this salary I would have to pass. Second, and more importantly, I am concerned with the new culture and people. I will be coming from NYC where my style, which is normal in the city, may be not be accepted out there (i.e. out of control spikey hair, trendy t-shirts, etc. Typical for New York. And I used to be in a band an just can't let it go I guess). I do not want to be somewhere where being myself will cause problems. I am not making assumptions as to what the people are like out there, I just want to have an idea of what I could expect. While my friends have given my a lot of advice, I would like an unbiased opinion of my situation. Any responses are appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Debating job offer

I'm super out of the loop of 25 year olds so I may be off base with my thoughts. Oh well, that hasn't stopped me before! So, here goes...

Is the new employer going to accept your out of control spikey hair? I see some of that in my business but not a lot...mostly on dancers.

25...single...no kids...$60k starting salary in Hawaii? Holey moley, where do I sign up?! I'll even spike my hair! Seriously, saving money on that salary will depend on your lifestyle. AFAIC, so many of the best things to do in Hawaii are free...beach, beautiful hiking trails, beach, sunsets on the beach (both the real thing and the activity, the movie at least!), concerts at the Shell while picnicing in Kapiolani Park. Anyway, if you're into saving you'll find ways to do so and it shouldn't be difficult with that salary. I think the bigger question is how big is your savings goal?

A New York 'attitude' will probably be your most difficult obstacle. Very difficult. 'Nuff said!

Comment

Like Tutusue said, I think $60K is a pretty darn good starting point for getting started in Hawaii. Not sure how much you'll save if you got your own place, or even considered buying versus renting, but as long as you're sharing with roommates and as long as you focus on stuff that falls in the "best things in life are free" category, financially I'd say you'd be in a good position.

As for how folks will receive you... I think that depends, in large part, with how you carry yourself, whether here or in New York.

I mean, we have our share of fiercely rebellious indy band folks running around. Pierced everything, purple hair, spikes and chains and the whole kit and kaboodle. Lots of the genuine article, and certainly a lot of folks who wish they were cool New York or L.A. hipsters lurking at malls desperately trying to look like they don't want to be at a mall.

For the most part, I'd consider it more a liability in relation to employment or customer service than anything else. If your $60K job also includes a pass on spikey hair, you're one lucky bum.

When it comes to how you'll be treated on the street? Sure, you can expect stares, and the occasional snarky comment. But I'm certain you get that, even in New York. To be sure, some people here might bristle specifically at the mention of a "big city attitude."

The real test will be how you handle it. Recognizing that you're different and will be a newcomer in a new environment is important, but there's a fuzzy line between being comfortable with yourself and wearing your differentness as a chip on your shoulder. I'd say that if you find you don't "get into it" with wise-ass jokers in Manhattan, you'll find the wise-ass jokers in Hawaii to be refreshingly unimpressive.

Comment

If you decide to turn it down... let me know I'd like to throw in an application... $60,000 is more than I'm making and I've been at my same job for 8 years now!

Comment

Hahahaha....Thank you all very much for the quick and insightful responses. I actually moved to NYC two years ago from Michigan, and do not care for it at all (thus the search for new employment). The people are terrible, it's dirty, and if I'm going to pay an arm and a leg for an apt. I would much rather be somewhere warm. Obviously I'm generalizing as I have met some very cool people out here who are truly solid folks, but I constantly feel as though the better part of the people I meet are completely fake. I do not have, or at least I pray to God I don't, a New York attitude at all.

As for the spikey hair, it's completely tamed down for work. My chances for employment in my field would be pretty scarce if I let it loose.

Thanks again guys! With such speedy and thoughtful responses for a New York stranger it gives me a lot more confindence in the possibility of moving. Cheers!
          Last edited by youngrd2; August 15, 2006, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Holy moly... what is this job that will pay you 60K a year in Hawai'i. What is wrong with you.....you better pack your bags and don't look back.

So, what type of job is it? Is this Nursing, IT?? what??

Let us all know so we can be on the look out...

Good luck
            Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu
              Holy moly... what is this job that will pay you 60K a year in Hawai'i.
              Lots of 'em. And it's still not quite enough.

Comment

That is a good salary for starting pay here in Hawaii especially for a single unattached with no baggage kinda person.

You either got a good degree or you're a Stevadore...or a Bus driver or a trash collector...or any private sector unionized worker

At $60K per year and you only have to deal with your own living expenses, you shouldn't have too hard a time looking for a place. I'm sure you can save up quite a bit if you live decently (not too much partying that is).
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by youngrd2
                  [...]Thanks again guys! With such speedy and thoughtful responses for a New York stranger it gives me a lot more confindence in the possibility of moving. Cheers!
                  Unlike you, I DID make an assumption...that you were insinuating that you were a New Yorker of long standing! My bad!

No 'attitude'? Spikey hair? Good job? You should do just fine in Hawaii.

Comment

Thread title is "Debating job offer" so, what, they offered to pay you $60k to debate somebody? HooTAH!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Made up your mind?
                      Moving soon?

I'd take that job in an instant.

and if it helps... I've got a band from New York (complete with VERY spikey hair) that is coming to town in late September...

www.thecasualties.net

Sept. 27th
                      Anna Bananna's
                      $9 presale / $10 door

aloha

ps - i have a wife and 3 kids but make only about $15K a year so if we're going strong on that kind of budget, I'd be very disappointed in you if you couldn't save money as a single person making 60 large! see ya soon?!!
                      808shows.com / 808PhotoVault.com / Hawaiian Express Records...

Comment

As many have asked, what kind of job is this that offers 60k to someone sight unseen? You don't have to give specifics, but just general things like - trash collection, prostitution, drug dealing...

Comment

It is a financial analyst position. I believe the salary may be somewhat inflated since they do not offer relocation compensation. However seeing as I don't own a home, or really anything but a bed, t.v. and clothes for that matter, it is not much of an issue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by youngrd2
                            It is a financial analyst position. I believe the salary may be somewhat inflated since they do not offer relocation compensation. However seeing as I don't own a home, or really anything but a bed, t.v. and clothes for that matter, it is not much of an issue for me.
                            It is a financial analyst position.
                            then what the heck you doing asking us on HT about finances if you getting a position in it?

Comment

HAhahaha.......I researched the cost of living percentage increases and thought I would be alright. However for my own piece of mind I wanted to hear it from people who are out there and know for sure.

Very good point though. I didn't even realize how bad I set myself up!
                              Last edited by youngrd2; August 16, 2006, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X