Vacationing in Makaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacationing in Makaha

My family (wife and 2 yr old daughter) and I are vacationing in Makaha in 2 weeks, Labor Day weekend. This is our first time in all our trips to Oahu that we'll be staying outside the Honolulu/Waikiki area. We've booked a condo at the Hawaiian Princess. We've actually never even drove up the leeward side of the island. We wanted to get away from the crowds and Makaha seems like the perfect place. And the Princess seemed like the perfect condo (beautiful beach, great view, etc.). But I read that Makaha has a reputation for being the rough part of the island, lots of homeless camping on the beaches, not safe for visitors, crime, locals not welcoming of tourist. But I've also read really great things about Makaha and Waianae Coast, with the exception of the traffic and commute on Farrington Hwy.

I think the negative stuff I've read may be a bit over exaggerated or outdated, but I wanted to ask those who really know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Vacationing in Makaha

Originally posted by FamilyMan
    My family (wife and 2 yr old daughter) and I are vacationing in Makaha in 2 weeks, Labor Day weekend. This is our first time in all our trips to Oahu that we'll be staying outside the Honolulu/Waikiki area. We've booked a condo at the Hawaiian Princess. We've actually never even drove up the leeward side of the island. We wanted to get away from the crowds and Makaha seems like the perfect place. And the Princess seemed like the perfect condo (beautiful beach, great view, etc.). But I read that Makaha has a reputation for being the rough part of the island, lots of homeless camping on the beaches, not safe for visitors, crime, locals not welcoming of tourist. But I've also read really great things about Makaha and Waianae Coast, with the exception of the traffic and commute on Farrington Hwy.

I think the negative stuff I've read may be a bit over exaggerated or outdated, but I wanted to ask those who really know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    I stayed at the Princess and it was amazing. Right on the beach...listen to the waves from your lanai, watch to turtles swim by the shoreline from your lanai...Great place. Security is great too. The parking is gated and there's always a guard on duty.

As far as the locals go, I had no problems. People were nice. I had the same concerns before I went, but it was fine. With that said, you should do the search on this site for ways to be a good visitor in Hawaii...Lots of people on here will tell you the do's and dont's...
    I never really stayed in Makaha during the day, as we explored all parts of the island, and yes, returning home on Farrington Hwy was a traffic nightmare almost every time, even at 10:00 at night. If you just want to be away from it all, it's a great spot.

That beach that the Princess is on is one beautiful and very private beach. I think you will Love it .
    Last edited by tikiyaki; August 18, 2006, 02:55 PM.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I've lived in Makaha for 14 years and absolutely love it 'cuz, to me, it's 'old Hawaii'. I'm not local and have never had a problem. If you give respect you'll get respect.

The Princess is a very nice building and the beach is gorgeous. If you do a search in this forum on the word Makaha you should find other discussions.

Have a great trip.

Comment

Thank you tikiyaki and tutusue for your replies. We're now really looking forward to Makaha and experiencing the "old Hawaii".

Thanks.

Comment

There's not a heckuva lot to do along that coast which, for me, is one of the things I like best about it. However, a short 15 min. drive down the road toward town is Ko`olina with it's beautiful, toddler friendly lagoons, Roy's Restaurant (if you're looking for at least one fine dining experience), the Ihilani Hotel with a wonderful gift shop and a nice coffee shop and...well, Maddie can fill you in on more, I'm sure.

Closer to the Princess, in Waianae town, is Aloha Aina Cafe, Tamura's Superette (the best grocery store on the island, afaic!) and The Breakers restaurant. There's more (altho' not much more!) but I'm running out of time.

Makaha no ka oi!!!

Comment

That being said, you really should explore the other parts of the island.

For your keiki, if you haven't already been ( you've been there a few times, so I would think that you have) Turtle Beach on the North Shore is especially great, cos the giant turtles come up on the beach and sleep, and the rest of them are right there in the water with the swimmers....Even as an adult, this is a great experience for a mainlander not used to this kind of thing.

So many great places to see on Oahu, I look forward to seeing the ones I missed last time.

The Princess is a GREAT place to wake up every day before seeing all of Oahu. The again, if you just wanna lay on the beach, what a great place to do it...totally beautiful and not crowded.

Have a great trip !

Hey Tutusue...what's the name of that restaurant on the ocean side of Farrington Hwy in Makaha that's basically a little house with a front porch and you eat outside ? We ate there the last day, after passing it many times the entire trip, and it was great.
            Last edited by tikiyaki; August 20, 2006, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
              [...]Hey Tutusue...what's the name of that restaurant on the ocean side of Farrington Hwy in Makaha that's basically a little house with a front porch and you eat outside ? We ate there the last day, after passing it many times the entire trip, and it was great.
              That's Aloha Aina Cafe, mentioned earlier. You can eat inside, too, but I also prefer outside...esp. during the annual Waianae Christmas parade. The WHS marching band stops in front of the restaurant and blows a mean rendition of "Louie Louie". Gotta love Christmas in Waianae!

Aloha Aina Cafe supports Waianae's low income youth. Please support the restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                [...]Aloha Aina Cafe supports Waianae's low income youth. Please support the restaurant.
                Oooooh daaaaayaamn...I just got home and when I passed Aloha Aina it had a 'closed' sign and the property had a 'for lease' sign on it.

Double daaaayaaamn.

Comment

WESTSIDE! Maybe cause I grew up Leeward side, I've always liked da WESTSIDE. Bad Rep & all. Us use to cutout and go Waianae HS. But dat was back in da day. Yes get all da negative stuff but what community don't have it yeah.

When I was there in April, I was hanging out in Nanikuli at my girlfriends house, (behind da graveyard side). Both her front & back doors open with screen doors; the tradewinds gently flows thru da house. No need air conditioning. Us all grew up without aircondition in Hawaii.
                  ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by GypsyLika
                    WESTSIDE! Maybe cause I grew up Leeward side, I've always liked da WESTSIDE. Bad Rep & all. [...]
                    A few months before Iz passed he and I had an email exchange based on the fact that I lived in Makaha and he grew up in Waianae. As he so appropriately put it..."Da Wes' side is da bes' side." (alternating, every other letter, between caps and lower case)!

BTW...I don't have a/c either and there are probably only 10-14 days a year that I wish I had it...Kona weather being what it is!

Comment

A few months before Iz passed he and I had an email exchange based on the fact that I lived in Makaha and he grew up in Waianae. As he so appropriately put it..."Da Wes' side is da bes' side." (alternating, every other letter, between caps and lower case)!

BTW...I don't have a/c either and there are probably only 10-14 days a year that I wish I had it...Kona weather being what it is!
                      Very cool story. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Oooooh daaaaayaamn...I just got home and when I passed Aloha Aina it had a 'closed' sign and the property had a 'for lease' sign on it.

Double daaaayaaamn.
                        What a bummer, that was a nice place. Very Low Key. I remember thinking that they needed a more visible sign, because that sign was hard to read and didn't really stand out.

There aren't too many places to eat up that way. Hopefully something else will move it.

I like it up there.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                          What a bummer, that was a nice place. Very Low Key. I remember thinking that they needed a more visible sign, because that sign was hard to read and didn't really stand out.

There aren't too many places to eat up that way. Hopefully something else will move it.

I like it up there.
                          It reminded me of a small, Haleiwa kinda place! Two owners prior to it's Aloha Aina incarnation, it was EJ's Cafe. When I first moved to Makaha EJ's was just a stand with an order window, a couple of concrete tables and benches close to the highway and Elora's home cooking. Then, one day, an out of control car plowed thru EJ's stand, closing it for months. Ed and Elora then built the little restaurant that still stands but is now empty. They hired part time help...Fritz the cook and Leah the waitress. EJs was a local gathering place and the 'regulars', seated at the various tables, always talked story with each other. Tourists would stop in and be treated to a local experience. Sometimes my friends and I would stop in for breakfast after an exercise session walking Pililauu Park. Before we knew it, Ed or Leah was handing us lunch menus. So, we stayed! More than once, when I walked in, Ed would hand me the phone and say "It's for you."!!! If friends couldn't find me at the office or home, they'd call the restaurant. It was the end of an era when Ed and Elora sold the business and moved to the mainland. No other owner has been able to capture the essence that was EJ's. Aloha Aina lasted the longest.

The Waianae Coast is a tough market for any business...except fast food, unfortunately.

Comment

As long as get fan going, I can handle Kona heat cause as high-ya altitude hah on da side of da mountain. My sista live above WalMart side....
                            ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by GypsyLika
                              As long as get fan going, I can handle Kona heat cause as high-ya altitude hah on da side of da mountain. My sista live above WalMart side....
                              I have a ceiling fan going all the time but I live on the ocean (sea level!) with the mountains directly behind me. Kona weather is not fun. No air movement. Sorry, I'm not completely sure of my interpretation of your message but I think you're saying your sister lives at a higher altitude so, with a fan, Kona weather is more bearable. Sorry if I misinterpreted. Gotta speak Waianae pidgin for me to understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X