Anthony Bourdain in Beirut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Bourdain in Beirut

This was on the Travel Channel last night (no doubt they'll replay it again sometime). I was absolutely blown away by the lifestyle of young Beirutis...they are trying very hard to emulate their European and American counterparts. They all look young, fit, fabulous and seem to spend most of their evenings clubbing. I'm sure this is in stark contrast to the lives of young people in South Lebanon. But Beirut pre-Lebanon II was beautiful, even where there were still traces of the last war in the bombed out buildings left standing amid the new construction.

What also blew me away was how, even at the onset of the aerial attacks by Israel, these 20-somethings continued to party. It almost appears as though this generation of Lebanese are so accustomed to violence that they accept it as a part of life. It's almost as though they only want to live for today, because who knows what tomorrow might bring.

Bourdain, for once, was not his usual wise-ass self. He was serious and very deliberate in the way he described his and his crew's 9 days of waiting for the State Dept. to get its act together to save them and the rest of the Americans who wanted to be evacuated. But he had nothing but high praise for the Marines who finally came with their troop loaders and got them to safety.

For anyone who missed it and who wants to see/hear part of this show, go here.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Anthony Bourdain in Beirut

I SAW it and was thinking of posting a thread but did not.
    How powerful was that?? What an amazing show!

I loved how they showed the Marines as human and showed the inside of what it is like for every person living there in the danger zones!

I feel this was one of the best shows I have seen, very powerful and surreal.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I too caught the show last night and couldn't tear my eyes away from the TV set. It was really fascinating to watch the conflict as seen from the perspective of not only the Beirut citizens, but also as seen from the perspective of a cynical foodie who found himself in a potentially life-or-death situation. I'm really glad that the Travel channel chose to air this episode, despite it not having much to do with food and travel. It definitely made me realize how fortunate I am to be living where I am, and at the same time, it makes the threat of terrorism that much more real.

Comment

I saw it and wished thought it was better coverage on what happened there than I had seen on any news show. I hope lots of people saw it.

Comment

Working...
        X