HawaiiThreads.com

HawaiiThreads.com (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/index.php)
-   The American Asylum (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Schwarzenegger's Controversy (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=1653)

Serenity July 19th, 2004 04:34 PM

Schwarzenegger's Controversy

"Calif. Gov. not sorry for 'girliemen' remark."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5460326?GT1=4244

What's your thoughts about the Governor of California-

Arnold Schwarzenegger. Sould he apologize or not?

Why? or Why not? You Decide....

Albert July 19th, 2004 04:47 PM

Re: Scwarzenegger's Controversy....

I am not a "Terminator" fan but I was quite amused by him having the unmitigated nerve to use "girlie boys" from his past.

Lingle should be as outrageous, would make local politics much more interesting.

Now, granted, I heard a radio report about some very sensible remarks Lingle recently made about the "homeless problem" and neither local newspaper reported it the next day, at least not in their on-line editions.

pzarquon July 19th, 2004 05:45 PM

Left-leaning commie pinko tree-hugger that I might be, I also carry a lot of skepticism about the "politically correct" movement. So on first (and second) blush, I'd say, "Get a grip." I mean, it's a phrase that's tied to him via his Hollywood days, just like "I'll be back." He invoked it in a speech to get that Pavlovian roar of recognition, like you'd expect any actor-turned-politician to do.

Taking a closer look, though, those outraged aren't out of line.

He applied the phrase, after all, to fellow politicians, other elected folks who like him should generally remain civil. Then again, politics has been ridiculous everywhere lately.

More directly, the whole "girly men" thing carries a surprising amount of baggage. After all, the catchphrase was, hopefully, created in part to satirize the sort of machismo, chauvanistic attitudes those SNL characters represented. Schwarzenegger used it as an insult, and meant it. Is he calling the lawmakers effeminate? Isn't that offensive, to say "acting with principle" is a manly trait? What message does that send to women... or girls? Female lawmakers? Homosexuals?

Schwarzenegger's an entertainer, first and foremost, and I'm sure he got the laugh he wanted. But he's got to choose his words more carefully now that he's speaking for more than a few overpaid comedy writers.

Glen Miyashiro July 19th, 2004 09:04 PM

It's about the level of discourse that I would expect from Herr Gropenfuhrer.

Linkmeister July 20th, 2004 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
It's about the level of discourse that I would expect from Herr Gropenfuhrer.

Hey, give Arnold a break. He could have said what Cheney said to Leahy. ;)

Albert July 20th, 2004 05:12 PM

I never saw the "girly men" thing as a slur on homosexuals, not then, not now. I thought it was funny then, and I still do. Maybe not quite the stately diplomatic language we might expect from a State Governor, but then the Terminator is NOT a typical State Governor. :)

Leo Lakio May 17th, 2011 08:48 AM

He's got a whole new controversy to deal with now.

Gotta love how politicians define "family values," regardless of party.

Ron Whitfield May 17th, 2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity (Post 5269)
Sould he apologize or not? Why? or Why not?

It's sideshow freak news, damaging to us all when we have real news constantly ignored for gossip/BS.

matapule May 17th, 2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo Lakio (Post 268568)

"I won't be back."

Leo Lakio May 17th, 2011 03:51 PM

"Hasta la vista, marriage ... credibility ... future political career ..."

Ron Whitfield May 17th, 2011 04:17 PM

He might morph himself into The Dem-onator, if scripted well he could be unstoppable.

Kaonohi May 17th, 2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo Lakio (Post 268568)

Gotta love how politicians define "family values," regardless of party.

Or, we can face up to the reality that most men (probably not all) are sluts, despite protestations. And that 'men of power,' (loosely defined), are even more likely to roam.

No I don't have statistics, just anecdotes, revelations and experience.

Many women, as well, though in committed relationships, will wander (time permitting ;) ). This too, from anecdotes, revelations and experience.

The REAL question here is, "Why disclose now?" Perhaps he is tired of his marriage, and seeks to 'Terminate' it. I don't know what his life is like, but I do know how powerful, self-righteous women can make a man's place in a marriage a hell on Earth.

Amati May 17th, 2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaonohi (Post 268577)
I don't know what his life is like, but I do know how powerful, self-righteous women can make a man's place in a marriage a hell on Earth.

So it is his wife's fault that he couldn't keep it in his pants?

matapule May 17th, 2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amati (Post 268579)
So it is his wife's fault that he couldn't keep it in his pants?

Some people want to blame Maria?! :eek:

Leo Lakio May 17th, 2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matapule (Post 268580)
Some people want to blame Maria?! :eek:

"How do you solve a problem like ... Ahh-nold?" (Doesn't scan as well, does it?)

anapuni808 May 17th, 2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

I don't know what his life is like, but I do know how powerful, self-righteous women can make a man's place in a marriage a hell on Earth.

It's called taking responsibility for one's own actions. He cannot blame his actions on his wife and neither should you! HE is the one who stepped out of his vows. If one or the other person in a marriage is living in a (usually self-created) "hell on earth", they should take advantage of the legal procedure called DIVORCE.

matapule May 17th, 2011 08:41 PM

Mahalo, Ana, a voice of reason.

scrivener May 17th, 2011 10:23 PM

Kaonohi, what color is the sky in your world?

Menehune Man May 17th, 2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Or, we can face up to the reality that most men (probably not all) are sluts, despite protestations. And that 'men of power,' (loosely defined), are even more likely to roam.

No I don't have statistics, just anecdotes, revelations and experience.

Many women, as well, though in committed relationships, will wander (time permitting ;) ). This too, from anecdotes, revelations and experience.

The REAL question here is, "Why disclose now?" Perhaps he is tired of his marriage, and seeks to 'Terminate' it. I don't know what his life is like, but I do know how powerful, self-righteous women can make a man's place in a marriage a hell on Earth.

Stop attacking what Kaonohi wrote and read it well!
There is a lot of truth there about men and women, whether or not 'we' wish to hear it.

No blame is placed, just possible scenarios... sheeesh folks.

Kalalau May 17th, 2011 11:19 PM

1. I think males of most species are oriented to spread the DNA around, it keeps the species healthier. One prof I had even said a biological reason for war was to do this.

2. If ONLY this scandal had broken when Schwarzenegger was running for gov. I look at him as a cunning, cynical, basically selfish politician who, like GW bush, never gave a damn about how much damage he did. He left California a wreck.

anapuni808 May 17th, 2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menehune Man (Post 268587)
Stop attacking what Kaonohi wrote and read it well!
There is a lot of truth there about men and women, whether or not 'we' wish to hear it.

No blame is placed, just possible scenarios... sheeesh folks.

hey, I only took issue with one statement he made. I'm not arguing with the rest. I took issue with his putting the blame on "powerful, self righteous women" which I don't believe Maria Shriver is. She is strong and self assertive, but self righteous just doesn't compute where she is concerned.

Walkoff Balk May 18th, 2011 01:57 AM

Re: Schwarzenegger's Controversy

He just wanted to pump, you up.
Hear me now, believe my later.

Leo Lakio May 18th, 2011 02:52 PM

Re: Schwarzenegger's Controversy

Stolen from Twitter, via "TheTweetOfGod":

The Bible has a word for the kind of man who would father a child by a member of his household staff. And that word is "Abraham."

Kaonohi May 18th, 2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrivener (Post 268585)
Kaonohi, what color is the sky in your world?

Is "facing up to reality" a color?
Some people think I'm blaming one or the other of them; I'm not. I'm just stating a few facts as I have experienced them.

I probably should have brought up spouse abuse by males (in addition to cheating, which I view as a form of spouse abuse) but I didn't think it was relevant to the subject.

Kaonohi May 18th, 2011 08:36 PM

BTW: I fully acknowledge that in my 'youth' (i.e., 16-30) I was one of those male 'sluts.' (Yes, boys can be sluts; even more so than the 'fairer gender.')

I'm not bragging. I was hormonally driven (though I'm not using that as an excuse!), horney and attracted to women - who were reciprocally attracted, and some were as dismissive of marriage vows as was I. That is: it's not just a boy thing, though in the 60's and 70's it was considered that men who strayed were 'normal,' and women who did were 'socially ostracized,' or worse. NOT FAIR!!!

Get it: Some boys and girls cheat, and some men and women make vows they can adhere to, and some others can make agreements that let them recognize their sexual drives and variety while maintaining a happy relationship (look up "Polyamory," lots of folks are doing it.)

As long as it's a mutually understood and accepted agreement - no harm.

When you make a promise to fidelity and can't keep it - shame on you - until you learn it's not nice to hurt other people - especially people you love.
If you make a promise, keep it. Or, don't make the promise.

Ahhhnold, you been a bad, bad boy!