Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you distinguish a local from a non-local?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you distinguish a local from a non-local?

Living up here for the years that I have (shuddup Lurkah), I've kinda developed radar for detecting local people...No matter where I am, I'm able to tell a "local" local from someone who's not a local (as in a katonk).

One thing I know is universal about locals no matter where they live or travel, is if you get a bunch of locals together and they start talking about serious things, eventually, somebody in the group is going to start talking about food! I don't know any other group of people (Asian, haole, whatevas) who have that ability...

For instance, get the locals to talk about space travel or the moon, and somebody from the group is going to say, "eh, that reminds me of the flying saucer sandwiches we used to eat at the County Fair!" (BTW: those things were onolicious...those, and the pronto pups, the chow fun and the shave ice ).

One other way to tell for sure the person you see on the street is a local is up here even in the winter, you'll see some guys with perpetual tans wearing shades, surfer shorts, short sleeved t-shirts and rubbah slippah and no jacket! No shame! I wear shorts and t-shirts on the weekend and walk around barefoot in the house almost all year round (yes, the shoes and slippahs rest next to the door).

Anybody know of any other ways to tell a local from a nonlocal besides the obvious things like their skin color or the language they speak?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: How can you distinguish a local from a non-local?

Locals can pick stuff up with their toes. It comes from spending their childhoods in slippers so the feet have room to spread.

Comment

And there's that thing that you do when you meet somebody and can't or don't want to take the time to stop and say howzit. Raise the eyebrows, pop the chin up and back down fast, flash a real brief smile. Sort of like making shaka except with your head. You know what I mean? Is there a word or a phrase for that?

Comment

Most of the Mama's, Aunties wear Papale's (hats) with adornments, flowers,fresh or plastic on the rim.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Miulang,

I think It`s the way we we`re brought up and the way only us locals can just feel da ma`na. No need be Hawaiian fo no one person orginally from the 50th state.

Just da way they use their body language or that, feeing you get in your puuwa`i, you know as one local.

I went to Laguna Hills for my job and Tita, talk about how rude these people are. They think I one Mexican cause I brown skin....

From San Francisco to Los Angeles, unreal the way they act. But as okay cause we locals have moa class den dem......OGGBOY
          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Dey stay like da kine!

We can mix up english and pidgin and still understand each other.

And we atleast read pidgin to the max twice.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

One true local when meeting another local will ask that initial and inevitable question: Eh what school you wen grad?

One local can tell you where the best ox tail soup is (Kam Bowl hands down)

But one local braddah walks like taran taran (big body) with a pidgin toe'd walk dragging da slippahs. He gives the shaka sign pointing down and shaking his hand like he's flicking off a booger saying, "wassup braddah"

He knows when the Ulua is running

He knows where to get the 6/5 papers and always bet nickle upside or opposite.

She can crack her chewing gum while smoking at the same time

All locals know one phone number to call if they like make one guy disappear: Eh braddah no ack...I goin make one phone call and you history braddah!"

Locals are always spending big bucks on New Years eve thinking they going impress their friends at midnight, instead their friends mooch off of him because they know he's going to buy $1000 worth of fire crackers but forgot the punks so everybody uses their smokes to light the cherry bombs then hold them just before they explode to make you know...taran taran, then the friggin fire cracker blow up in there hand. They shake it off but inside they crying like one baby. Outside they say: Das Nuttin bra nevah even hurt! And you wonder why he stay clenching onto that ice cold Budweiser beer bottle to numb the pain in his fingers.

Das right! One good local know how foa act cool despite looking like an idiot when...you know he act taran taran.

Oh and the non local wears sneakers with socks and has that tell tale sun burn on their necks and faces.

Non locals will eat McDonalds because their too afraid to eat what locals dive into especially that Filipino stuff we call Blood!
              Last edited by craigwatanabe; August 1, 2005, 06:19 PM.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

Das right! One good local know how foa act cool despite looking like an idiot when...you know he act taran taran.

Dass right, brah!

Comment

Wheneva one local brings food to one potluck, garans going be someting s/he used to eat small kid time and most of da time, not going have one single piece of pineapple insai!

How can dey call one pizza Hawaiian just because get pineapple on top??? Eh, I going try make one laulau pizza. You tink going be ono?

No get any beeg ideas about da laulau pizza, Lurkah. I kapu da idea already!

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                    You know what I mean?
                    That phrase get said a lot verbally from locals.

Comment

And there's that thing that you do when you meet somebody and can't or don't want to take the time to stop and say howzit. Raise the eyebrows, pop the chin up and back down fast, flash a real brief smile. Sort of like making shaka except with your head. You know what I mean? Is there a word or a phrase for that?
                      da confahmashun.

Comment

Locals can pick stuff up with their toes. It comes from spending their childhoods in slippers so the feet have room to spread.
                        ho man, small keed time we nevah even weah sleephah. barefoot alla time. to school, den all ovah da hills back behind da hale, trundle up da hillside keola hills... lava rock, dirt, keawe trees steekah. no baddah. we grew tougher soles den sleepah. better protection.

barefoot mo bettah fo ride sketboard too.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

barefoot mo bettah fo ride sketboard too.
                          Yeah, most times...

*Warning! Graphic details follow! Do not read if squeamish!*

Small keed time my braddah wen go ride his skateboard on da asphalt pavement road and was doing one hang-five with the toes of one foot hanging ovah da front of da board when one of da front wheels hit one small rock which made da skateboard lock up and huli forward...which made his big toe pearl dive into da road. I heard him screaming so I ran ova fo see wat wen happen...and noticed had one big white bone sticking out where his big toe was supposed to be. Anden I saw his big toe was just hanging by skin underneath his foot. I suddenly felt queasy and nevah know what fo do so I ran fo go call my maddah and told her what happened. She rushed to where my braddah was lying in da road...and promptly and calmly slipped his big toe back on to the bone while my braddah was screaming and crying...anden drove him to da ER for stitches.

Da tings only a mom can do.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                            Yeah, most times...
                            well dass all we knew. to ride sketboard in da 60's anything but barefoot.... well, would a been unheard of.
                            Planny huli makakuli anyway. nothing so bad as dat toe scrape tho. Ho. dass ruff.

Comment

Oni good dat!!! My haole husband laffs like crazy wen he sees me do dat!
                              Aloha,
                              Mokihana

Comment

Working...
                              X