Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ka Leo O Hawai‘i - UH’s student newspaper

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
    And no you can't have either of my jobs when I do decide to leave them if and when.
    No offense, Mānoa, but I wouldn’t want your job. (don’t know what gave you that impression) I think I would go insane if I did what you did.
    Can a newspaper "print edition" have video and audio files? As well as interactive blogs?
    As well as be read across the world by former UH Alumni's the second that it goes online?
    No, that’s what their online edition is for. The print edition has a totally different function: convenience. (i.e. p/u and read while walking from UH parking lot to class, read it on the toilet, read it during takeoff on an airplane, read it in the doctor/dentist/ER waiting room, read it when your hands are filthy dirty, etc.)

Duh. Amazing I have to explain these things to you.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Hard to wrap fish with online edition.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        The print edition has a totally different function: convenience. (i.e. p/u and read while walking from UH parking lot to class, read it on the toilet, read it during takeoff on an airplane, read it in the doctor/dentist/ER waiting room, read it when your hands are filthy dirty, etc.)
        As I've said before... as we move towards a digital society...etc..

Many people are already able to access the online editions through their laptops, phones, etc. in the places you are talking about above.

My son doesn't watch Disney Channel on TV anymore... He watches it on the computer...etc..

The more and more we move towards a digital society... the less paper will be flowing.

And I'm amazed I have to tell you this TuNnL. Weren't you in Global Communication with me about 8 years ago?
        Last edited by damontucker; October 31, 2006, 07:09 AM.

Comment

As well as be read across the world by former UH Alumni's the second that it goes online?
          "Former UH Alumni's"???

This reminds me ... We often get e-mails (letters to the editor) from folks who aren't half as smart as they think they are, and who write, "I am an alumni of ..."

I like to write back, "No, you're not."

A college degree might as well be a paper towel these days.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
            "Former UH Alumni's"???
            Maybe it was rescinded, for being too posessive.
            We often get e-mails (letters to the editor) from folks who aren't half as smart as they think they are, and who write, "I am an alumni of ..."
            I like to write back, "No, you're not."
            Multiple personality disorder, perhaps?

Comment

A college degree might as well be a paper towel these days.
              Agreed... however, that paper towel is needed to get jobs at some places.

Comment

Many people are already able to access the online editions through their laptops, phones, etc. in the places you are talking about above.
                FYI - They don’t allow cell phone use in hospitals, Mānoa. And how many patients in the ER bring their laptops with them? If I just finished gardening/painting/working construction do I really want to touch a keyboard? What if my ISP is down or don’t have access at the moment? Things that make Mānoa go hmmmm...
                My son doesn't watch Disney Channel on TV anymore... He watches it on the computer...etc..
                Good for your keiki. And this relates to newspapers... how?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

FYI - They don’t allow cell phone use in hospitals, Mānoa. And how many patients in the ER bring their laptops with them? If I just finished gardening/painting/working construction do I really want to touch a keyboard? What if my ISP is down or don’t have access at the moment? Things that make Mānoa go hmmmm...
                  Why would you want to check a college newspaper website in a hospital?
                  How many patients in the ER do you hear requesting a copy of the Ka Leo.
                  If your job is dealing with dirty things... you can always wash your hands. If your ISP is down or don't have access... it will eventually be up... Does the Ka Leo deliver a "FREE" paper to peoples houses? The only way I know where to get a copy would be on campus that I know of. What if you don't live on Oahu and want to read it?
                  Good for your keiki. And this relates to newspapers... how?
                  How my keiki watching Disney channel online was more of a reference to the digital society that I see the "World" moving to. He watches it and can interact with it. TV he can not. He's not even 27 months old and already he has decided that he likes Disney Channel on the computer more than the TV. (however, he can barely even say the word computer... he sure knows how to move the mouse around)

Comment

Am I the only one who sees the humor inherent in this statement?:
                    he has decided that he likes Disney Channel on the computer more than the TV...he sure knows how to move the mouse around

Comment

Today, Briscoe said the number-one tool for journalists is not any of these devices that you can buy at the store; it’s the Internet....The fact that anyone can be a journalist today places some additional responsibility on those who are educated, trained and experienced professional journalists, according to Briscoe.

Where does this leave the profession of journalism? As he said, anyone can be a practicing journalist and, in some cases, do it better than a professional simply because they may be at the right place at the right time to get the big story.
                      http://www.kaleo.org/vnews/display.v.../4549918b92012
                      Additional challenges face the older generation of journalists, Briscoe said.

Many of us are literally being driven out by the demands of multimedia,” he said. “I can show you the gravestones of ... journalists from my generation who couldn’t cope, who couldn’t figure out that they needed to both change in the way they communicate the news and the way they gather the news.

Comment

FYI - They don’t allow cell phone use in hospitals, Mānoa. And how many patients in the ER bring their laptops with them? If I just finished gardening/painting/working construction do I really want to touch a keyboard? What if my ISP is down or don’t have access at the moment? Things that make Mānoa go hmmmm...Good for your keiki. And this relates to newspapers... how?
                        Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Am I the only one who sees the humor inherent in this statement?:
                        OK Mickey... I mean Leo... I only now caught that... I wonder if I confuse my son by always saying..."look...Mickey Mouse"... and then telling him how to move the "computer MOUSE" around...

BTW-

Why do I find myself having to say this to you ....Tunnl have anything to say about what was stated earlier regarding the move to a digital society now?

Comment

Tunnl have anything to say about what was stated earlier regarding the move to a digital society now?
                          Not really, but since you’re so desperate to get me to respond, I’ll humor you just this once...
                          Why would you want to check a college newspaper website in a hospital?
                          EXACTLY! You wouldn’t want to check the website, you’d want the PRINT version. In my experience, you have to wait anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour before an ER doctor will see you, so PRINTED reading material comes in handy when you aren’t allowed to use your cell phone.
                          If your job is dealing with dirty things... you can always wash your hands.
                          If you’re working at a construction site (i.e. the UH dorms), you might not want to waste your water cooler on that. Easier to just grab a Ka Leo from the newsstand.
                          If your ISP is down or don't have access... it will eventually be up...
                          Maybe, maybe not. Why wait? As stated earlier, grab a Ka Leo on the way to class. Problem solved!

It’s okay, Mānoa. We know you’re desperate to justify your COM degree. One day, all the wonderful digital revolution things you learned about will come true. What’s the rush?

USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

It’s okay, Mānoa. We know you’re desperate to justify your COM degree. One day, all the wonderful digital revolution things you learned about will come true. What’s the rush?
                            To be honest w/ you tunnl... you know as well as I do... that degrees don't mean crap when it comes to the real world.

You know yourself from many years ago that a piece of paper has never meant anything to me.... It was a way to appease my mom.... but college is a joke at some point when you end up having to teach the professors stuff that they are attempting to teach there students.....

UH is notorious for attempting to pass off graduate students as professors... sad... but true...

You and I know both know... if we wanted... we could go back UH and teach some of the stuff that we have now learned in real life....

A college degree is nothing.... its what you learn while your in college that matters.

Comment

To be honest w/ you tunnl... you know as well as I do... that degrees don't mean crap when it comes to the real world.
                              Having a college degree does mean something in the real world. It means you make more money.

Four more years in the classroom should be looking pretty good to high school graduates if future salary is important to them, according to new Census data released Thursday.

The survey found that adults 18 and older with a bachelor's degree earned an average of $51,554 in 2004, compared to $28,645 for those with only a high school diploma.

Those with advanced degrees did even better, taking home an average of $78,093 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                                Having a college degree does mean something in the real world. It means you make more money.
                                Very true PJ.

Sad though when many "Bosses/Employers/etc" have less skills in the computer industry then many high school graduates now.

I truly believe that as we move towards a digital society.... less emphasis will be put upon what you have learned in a classroom....then what you can learn on your own.

There are a couple people on HT that did go to UH with me at the time and they know the arguments I had with my professors at the time... I wasn't trying to school them... I was trying to educate them.... Yeah they got paid to be my professors... however, I was paying for my education therefore I felt it was my right to question what they were attempting to teach me.

It does seem sad when sometimes you take classes in college that you need to take to get credit for to graduate from college....when in turn you end knowing more about the subject matter than the teacher....

However, college degrees are set up for a reason...

It doesn't take a lot to get a degree.... it does take a lot to use that degree effectively.

and to conclude this rant... "knowledge is not what the pupil remembers, but what he cannot forget"

Comment

Working...
                                X