Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Unsettled Economy & The Bailout

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
    Here. Now be happy. Bhwaa haa haa haaaa!
    Ah, yes, Nabobinator more Faux News as THE source of "Unfair and Unbalanced" News. The Clinics in question are Family Planning Clinics that provide contraceptives and counseling as a means to avoid abortion in third world countries. Faux News chooses to call them abortion clinics in order to further their agenda.

Nabobinator, are you opposed to family planning in poor, third world countries?

I have a proposition for you Nabobinator. I ask you to volunteer to accept into your life each one of these children who might be born into a life of poverty, despair, and abuse. I challenge you go over and work in one of these clinics. Then maybe you can base your opinions on some real life experiences.

My uaifi worked in family planning (yes she gave out condoms), prenatal, and post natal care program in Tonga. She was a midwife (a cute one too and still cute) and she looks with great pride on the Tongans who are 40 years old today that she berthed. She never lost one. But she looks with equal pride at all the unwanted pregnancies that she prevented through her counseling efforts.

Nabobinator, you are living your life in fear of imagined demons. Go volunteer in a third world country and confront your demons face to face. You will have great satisfaction in conquering your fears. In fact, you may find that the only demons that exist are the demons within you.

Blessed Be.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

There was a profile in Flickr for a Bobinator in Hawai'i. It must have been a totally different Bobinator, though, because the personality was so different from here. The profile has been edited.

I am all for keeping gays out of the military. Its like having Canada. As long as wars are stupid pointless useless brutal vicious evil mangling meat grinders like Vietnam it is good that both gays and straight people who do not wish to waste their lives or even five minutes of their lives for absolutely nothing, have an out. And really, any country stupid enough to fire gay Arabic translators, should. Its Darwinism, its really for the best.

Comment

• Re: Nabobinator! Now that's gold!

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        It really does nothing to stimulate the economy, as the earlier poster suggested.
        True. But I maintain it reduced the volatility of the economy by reducing the cascading effect. So it wasn't "wasted" as some people like to imply.

Comment

• Re: Nabobinator! Now that's gold!

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          True. But I maintain it reduced the volatility of the economy by reducing the cascading effect. So it wasn't "wasted" as some people like to imply.
          I'll concur. Stimulus money that was used either to pay down personal debt or put into a savings account provides greater liquidity to the banks and frees up more credit. Remember, the root of this whole economic crisis was triggered by the burst of the housing bubble, which led to banks freezing-up lines of credit.

With that having been said, there are economists who would argue that there are other ways to stimulate the economy that would provide a more immediate and bigger "bang for the buck." The bottom line is for the banks to start loaning money again. That is why a lot of observers are trying to figure out if Obama's stimulus and housing plans has the type of incentives that will actually get the banks to loan the money, rather than just sit on it. Or worse yet, as in the first TARP, using the money to buy other banks, paying out dividends, or perhaps most disgusting of all, using it as bonuses for execs.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

To GG & FM: I see your point, thanks for the additional clarifications.

To Matapule: Notice how much Bobinator seems to be able to speak for what various groups want or don't want? In this thread, he's told us about the perspectives of military members, liberals, women and real men. Yet as far as I can tell - he's not a member of any one of these groups.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              The EV-1 sold a mere 1000 units in 7 years. If it was so great, why didn't consumers buy it??
              Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              GM did not sell the EV1, they only leased them. When they wanted them back for demolition, many of those who leased offered to buy them off GM's hands.
              Originally posted by Random View Post
              From what I hear, you couldn't buy to own, because GM only offer the vehicle in a leasing program.

When GM declared it to be a total business failure, all vehicles are then recalled when their lease expired, and the GM proceeded to crush/destroy all but a few (some were sent to educational institutions and museums). The car was the center of controversy in a documentary film, "Who Killed the Electric Car?"
              Yes, frankly it’s really disappointing that Tim and his selective memory keeps rehashing this twisting of the facts. We’ve had this discussion, and already concluded that had GM actually allowed the sale of a single EV-1, they might actually not be considering bankruptcy today. So Tim, you promised to to watch the documentary film in its entirety. Did you do it yet? If so, you obviously didn’t learn a single thing. Try again.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

[OFF TOPIC]!

Tunnl...how'd you quote like that?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  [OFF TOPIC]!

By moving the opening and closing tags (i.e., BB codes).
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    [OFF TOPIC]!

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    By moving the opening and closing tags (i.e., BB codes).
                    Sumting Li'dat.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Whats going on in the economy is quite confusing. I offer only some tentative explanations. The years since the election of Ronald Reagan have by and large been years in which the financial interests of the wealthy have taken center stage. It has been reported that a vast amount of wealth has been transferred from the poorer and middle classes to the richest as a result. This conforms to the Republican theory that more money for the wealthiest means more factories and more jobs. This can actually be true if there is a shortage of factories, but there hasn't been such a shortage, especially in the US, for quite some time.

In reality, more jobs are created when the poorer and middle classes have more money. They spend it on things that directly provide employment--houses, food, cars, clothing. So encouraging employers to ship jobs overseas combined with cutting the real income of American workers undeniably cuts jobs, which cuts income to all, including the wealthy people who own factories.

What do the wealthy do with their money if not build factories and hire people? They INVEST it. Mainly in Wall Street, which is a crap shoot. It has almost nothing to do with providing start up capital or operating money to companies that employ people and produce products, it is simply betting on which stocks are going to go up. So focusing the stream of money toward the wealthiest leads to speculation, which inevitably leads to crashes. Combine the focus of so much money on what is basically just gambling with deregulation (Sen. Gramm's bill even prohibited oversight by regulators) and the stage is set for inevitable speculative excess with inevitable crash.

Iceland has gone bankrupt. England may be next--the birthplace of capitalism itself! This is almost science fiction.

Comment

I am reminded of one of Mr. Bush's State of the Union speeches in which he lamented that although Republicans had tried mightily to invest the Social Security and Medicare trust funds in Wall Street, they had failed. Whereupon all the Democrats in attendance clapped and cheered. Truly a great political moment.

Now might be just the time to...invest...the country's Social Security and Medicare trust funds in Wall Street. Investors could make as much as -20% or -50% in just a few Short weeks! And the rich people sure do need the money. (J/K!)

Osama bin Laden has said that one of his goals was to bankrupt the US. This economic disaster was certainly helped along by squandering $3 trillion uselessly in Mr. Bush's Iraq war, and his tax breaks for billionaires, but the collapse has a kind of mysterious quality about it, maybe it is the fruit of some kind of economic terrorist plot. I would love to be around when the accurate history of this disaster is written.

Comment

Well, I did my own stimulus package and bought some GE stock. Can't beat less than 8.00 a share!

Comment

The Crisis of Credit Visualized

The Crisis of Credit Visualized

Best damn video i have watched in a while explaining how we got here.

http://vimeo.com/3261363?pg=embed&sec=&hd=1

Comment

Comment

John Stewart rips Jim Cramer a New one.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...isodeId=220533

Comment

Working...
                                X