Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Likelike speed trap

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
    Oh, please, people! We are so far off topic now! Could you kids please separate and go to time out for a bit? Or take it to PM? I am soo weary of the petty arguing on here...
    You're right. It has gotten petty. I've pretty much said all that I wanted, so I will take your advice and bow out of this thread. Cheers.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The putative benefit of both your contributions to the board pales in comparison to your willingness to engage in such sustained personal attacks. While I've enjoyed reading some of the former, it's not worth having to wade through the latter.
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
        As I have previously said,,, if you don't like what I have said or have heard it before from another source, then move on to something else.
        Good idea. You got it.
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Re: Likelike speed trap (staying on topic!) [unlike FM]

With apologies for backing out on my earlier pledge to no longer post on this thread, I just had to add this.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
          Went through there today. Out of the 35mph tunnel the next sign says 45mph.
          From mile marker 5 to mile marker 3 the speed limit is 45.

Just past Mile marker 3, you approach the first intersection and the sign says 35MPH. Off to the right, in the grass and weeds, just past the end of the metal roadside barrier is where the speed TRAP is located.
          It is obviously a deliberate trap - they wait just past the first 35 MPH sign, waiting for those who slow down too slowly..... I'm certain Boise would not approve, but he's got a pretty full plate already.

I don't know what their effective or maximum distance is, or what the line of sight is - I didn't stop OR look up their specs - but it is worth looking into. If you were in their line of sight and they radar'ed you before you could see the 35mph sign, then that changes a lot (like 51 in a 45 is better than 51 in a 35).
          Well, let it not be said that while I'll call BS when I see it, I won't give credit when credit is due and deserved.

Kaonohi offers up a good idea here.... if one is seeking to have the speeding ticket mitigated rather than dismissed. And if the offender has no previous speeding violations, then he stands a good chance of the judge reducing the fine.

Of course, a lawyer isn't required for a mitigation strategy. I've seen lots of people successfully mitigate tickets on their own. As long as they offer up a sensical explanation and the speeding wasn't egregious, the judge will likely reduce the fine.

If you're able to do it safely, take pictures of any signs on the side of the road that may be obscured by overgrown grass or tree branches, as is sometimes the case on the Likelike. It may work in your favor, just as it did for me in getting a speeding ticket dismissed. And I didn't have to hire a lawyer to accomplish that.

Complaining to the judge about the cop setting up a speed trap right where the speed limit changes,.... that's not going to work. Never seen that excuse lead to a dismissal. (BTW, the chief's name is spelled Boisse.)

Finally, one last thing that's worth mentioning. The fact that we've now had 2 deadly crashes on the Likelike in a little over a month has created an environment where the police are really cracking down on enforcement. And after the news came out about the driver in the first wreck having numerous previous citations, its likely that the judges are going to be tougher in their decisions. It's never a good time to be caught speeding. But NOW more than ever, it's not going to be easy to receive leniency when you are clocked going over the limit by a laser gun. We all just have to slow down and pay closer attention to the way we drive.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Online dispute trap

Originally posted by Nords View Post
            The putative benefit of both your contributions to the board pales in comparison to your willingness to engage in such sustained personal attacks. While I've enjoyed reading some of the former, it's not worth having to wade through the latter.
            You are right. I apologise to all - I got carried away defending my words against what I perceived as an unwarrented attack.
            I can't promise I wouldn't do it again, as boys will be boys - even when we are grown men. I do promise to try.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
            X