MidWeek insert changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MidWeek insert changes

Just got the new MidWeek and noticed the redesign of the "Oahu Windward Community News" insert. I'm not sure if they redesigned other community inserts, but this one pretty much sucks. They changed the font and also reduced the type size, so it's very hard to read.
    I'm not overly impressed with the graphics and layout changes either, but that's less of a problem.
    Just one reader's opinion. You S-B folks here on HT are more than welcome to pass along the comment.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: MidWeek insert changes

In this morning's StarBulletin!!!!http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/04/b...s/story01.html
    MidWeek topples Sunday Advertiser as king of Oahu readership
    But other data show MidWeek did not beat Advertiser

By Erika Engle

"MidWeek has become the most widely read publication on Oahu, dethroning the Sunday Honolulu Advertiser, according to a newspaper readership survey by SMS Research & Marketing Services Inc."

"Mike Fisch, president and publisher of the Honolulu Advertiser, discounted the research, noting that his paper discontinued its subscription to SMS before his arrival about a decade ago."

"Since it's a single-market study, we don't find it terribly reliable or credible," he said. "The industry standard is Scarborough, which I think will contradict this data."

"MidWeek is the people's paper. They look forward to it. It's all good news and good events mixed in with a little bit of fun -- things people want to read about, style, restaurants, food, politics, you name it, we've got it."

Wow! Right On MidWeek! Congratulations!!!

Auntie Lynn

btw: In other News...
    http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/04/news/briefs.html
    Police, Fire, Courts

Couple arrested in theft of mangoes

and

Fight over bedsheet leads to arrest
    Last edited by 1stwahine; August 4, 2006, 03:03 AM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
      You S-B folks here on HT are more than welcome to pass along the comment.
      No offense intended here, but why don't you contact MidWeek yourself? If you can post it here, you can write to MidWeek just as easily. I get a little tired of ferrying messages from folks who write to me when they're ticked off about something at MidWeek, the Advertiser, KHON, etc.

Anyway, it's more effective if you do it yourself than if I send him an e-mail saying, "Hey, this person whose real name I don't know says your new layout bites."

Comment

Well, I think we'd discuss various aspects of local media even without an expectation of its being detected by the parties involved. But certainly I wouldn't post here and hope that the person or people I'm writing about will somehow find it -- in fact, the opposite is often true!

I do think folks will sometimes direct general comments to specific friends or contacts for perfectly understandable reasons, though -- they imagine their input might actually be heard or get a little asterisk or flag somewhere, versus what they figure happens to everything else thrown over the transom.

I could easily use the business desk contact or the webmaster contact, but I confess to dropping Erika a line directly, or Blaine directly. I hope I'm not making more work for them, but I do think they'd better understand the context and/or qualifications (however slim) of a comment or story idea coming from me better than a random employee.

As to the original topic (I think the Midweek circulation claims are a whole separate matter), I haven't seen the new community inserts, but I hadn't been impressed with their presentation previously, so, who knows. I might like it better, if I were still inclined to look for it.

Comment

My main point was, I am not going to call Don Chapman with a complaint I read on the Internet. That's what it boils down to.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
            No offense intended here, but why don't you contact MidWeek yourself? If you can post it here, you can write to MidWeek just as easily. I get a little tired of ferrying messages from folks who write to me when they're ticked off about something at MidWeek, the Advertiser, KHON, etc.
            First of all, I didn't write to you -- I posted a public message here on HT.
            Secondly, your assumption that I didn't also contact MidWeek directly is incorrect.
            Thirdly, you're responding to a message that I posted way back in March. Not my fault that someone else resurrected the thread.
            Sounds like you're having a bad day, Maddie. I'm sorry about that, but please don't take it out on me.

Comment

I apologize for resurrecting the thread. I serched MidWeek and it came out.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                resurrecting the thread
                I thought only holy figures could resurrect the dea...oh..."thread." Sorry. Guess I better not get those Church of Whack-Whacks shirts out just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                  I thought only holy figures could resurrect the dea...oh..."thread." Sorry. Guess I better not get those Church of Whack-Whacks shirts out just yet.
                  Thanks! You keep making laugh all morning looong!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Thanks! You keep making laugh all morning looong!
                    My pleasure - it's the job I don't get paid for - and if what they say is true about it being the best medicine...I will do what I can to refill your prescription.

Comment

I apologize for resurrecting the thread.
                      Absolutely no apology needed, Auntie!
                      [/group hug]

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                        First of all, I didn't write to you -- I posted a public message here on HT.
                        Secondly, your assumption that I didn't also contact MidWeek directly is incorrect.
                        Thirdly, you're responding to a message that I posted way back in March. Not my fault that someone else resurrected the thread.
                        Sounds like you're having a bad day, Maddie. I'm sorry about that, but please don't take it out on me.
                        1. Well, you did suggest that "someone who works at the s-b pass on the message."
                        2. see above
                        3. Sorry about that! I blame Auntie Lynn.
                        4. Don't know where you got the idea I'm having a bad day or "taking something out on you" just because I made some suggestions about how you and others can better be heard at MidWeek. If I'm having a good day, does that mean I shouldn't try to be helpful?
                        5. Group hug!
                        6. Actually, I'm having a bad month. Or couple of months. But today is relatively good!
                        7. I do apologize, LikaNui.
                        Last edited by MadAzza; August 4, 2006, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Would it make you feel better or worse if I re-started the "Mad Rocks!" campaign?

Comment

Originally posted by Middleman
                            Would it make you feel better or worse if I re-started the "Mad Rocks!" campaign?
                            I'd probably like that more than the "Mad's Getting Perimenopausal" campaign.

Comment

You're right.
                              And it would be an easier bumper sticker to make.

Comment

Working...
                              X