Bad day on the sandbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad day on the sandbar

You're too late. My fortune is already ensured. Coming soon on E-Bay, Amazon.com, CafePress, and at Macy's and other fine department stores and boating supply outlets:

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

*sigh*

Story of my life....

Looks like I go back to foraging for my own kills eh? Say...you get that in like a lobster style bib suitable for a crow? Can't be a stylin gore crow with your feathers gettin all mucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
        Well.... *draws Lika into the shadows beneath a glossy black wing*
        Hey, wait a second. I recognize that behavior! You're my ex-wife Plaintiff, aren't you?!

Dang. This thread is sinking faster than... well, you know.

Comment

Re: Just a day on the sandbar

Originally posted by HawaiiOptimization View Post
          I think it is interesting how quickly people without factual merit engage in bashing other people on forums, most seem to be the modern day version of a lynching party.

What is even more entertaining are all of the would-be-reporters who are out to find irrelevant facts. The facts are: no humans were hurt, the environment was not harmed and the owner(s) are clearly taking responsibility for their actions.
          Well, regarding facts, it's tough to be 100% certain what happened because it's all based on witness accounts. Most of us don't have access to anything except those posted accounts from eyewitnesses, a crude video and some photos.

But here's what we know for sure: The Aquadelica sank at the sandbar in broad daylight, in weather conditions that can be described as extremely mild.

So that takes "nature to blame" out of the equation.

Once water was detected, buckets were reportedly used in vain to prevent the boat from sinking. Which begs the question: Where were the bilge pumps? Was it because of an electrical failure due to flooding? No manual pumps available?

One of the people aboard said he got gas in his eyes from being in the water, retrieving items from the boat. So that helps establish fuel in the water. How much fuel was spilled is anyone's guess. Depends on whether it came from the tank vents or other parts of the fuel system.

Terrible that such a nice-looking boat got trashed.

It's fortunate that no one was lost or badly injured, and that was pure luck. As someone else mentioned, if this had happened out at sea where you couldn't just step off onto ankle-deep water, then what? And if the boat were overloaded and PFD's weren't readily accessible?

According to someone who was aboard at the time, there was a fuel spill. That means some contaminants did get into the bay. I don't know the condition of the coral right at the edge of the sandbar, but I do know there's a school of papio running there that could be adversely affected by a dose of gas. A dive company in Maui was fined a huge sum for damaging the coral at a dive site. Nowadays the state isn't taking these things lightly.

By the way, I hope the guy who got gas in his eyes went to see a doctor. Having solvents, even diluted, into the eyes could do damage to the cornea. And gas is a known carcinogen especially since it contains benzine.

It's good to hear that the owners are accepting responsibility. It could have been worse. But something tells me it could also have been completely avoided if the skipper had been more alert.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Hey, wait a second. I recognize that behavior! You're my ex-wife Plaintiff, aren't you?!
            LOL!!!

BOO!!!

Dang. This thread is sinking faster than... well, you know.
            Ennit tho!

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiOptimization View Post
              What is even more entertaining are all of the would-be-reporters who are out to find irrelevant facts.
              I don't believe it.

BY GOLLY IT'S BOB JONES!!!!
              right here on this Forum.

Welcome Bob, happy to have you with us.

Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

This thread has gone far too quiet (the silence is deafening!), and we're apparently out of popcorn, so while we all wait patiently for answers and replies from our new friends on Aquadelica I feel it is important -- no, critical -- that you all take a minute (give or take one second) to turn up your volume and view the 59-second video at this link which will indubitably change your life forever.
                Go ahead. Watch it right now. I'll wait.

*drums fingers on the tabletop*

*figures a minute has gone by*

Oh. You're back.
                Life altering, wasn't it?
                Told ya so!
                And thus we await further communication herewith.

*fade to black*

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post

Once water was detected, buckets were reportedly used in vain to prevent the boat from sinking. Which begs the question: Where were the bilge pumps? Was it because of an electrical failure due to flooding? No manual pumps available?
                  YES!! I was wondering about this myself!! Buckets? Did the operator not know about the bilge pumps??
                  ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                    Buckets? Did the operator not know about the bilge pumps??
                    Indeed, although the batteries were under water and had probably shorted out by then. (Might've been battery acid in the water that burned that one guy's eyes.) But what I find amusing, in a pathetic sort of way, is that a boat that big sank so very fast... and they tried to stop the massive inflow of the ocean with a little bucket?!
                    Sneezing monkeys would know better.

Comment

• Re: Bad day on the sandbar

You're late. They started yesterday.
                      [...]
                      Oh, I saw the dialogue that transpired yesterday. I didn't feel the need for popcorn 'til today.

Comment

• By the way, someone posted this comment on Joe's blog about the incident:

"I must say that this is bachi the owner was asking for. The loud music isn’t so bad but the vulgar blasting lyrics last week with the F—- word blasting for an hour is unacceptable behavior for a public display where families and children are present. I look forward to the peace and quiet for a few weeks."

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Oh, I saw the dialogue that transpired yesterday. I didn't feel the need for popcorn 'til today.
                        Understandable. Yesterday was just foreplay. Today, the proverbial fat lady is singing.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          BY GOLLY IT'S BOB JONES!!!!
                          It would be funny if it was

But he was nice to Aunty, so I forgive him. Maybe he'll forgive us some day.

By the way, someone posted this comment on Joe's blog
                          BTW, the blog entry no longer links to our thread. We're just winning friends and influencing people left and right these days
                          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                          "
                          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

• Re: Just a day on the sandbar

Indeed, although the batteries were under water and had probably shorted out by then. (Might've been battery acid in the water that burned that one guy's eyes.) But what I find amusing, in a pathetic sort of way, is that a boat that big sank so very fast... and they tried to stop the massive inflow of the ocean with a little bucket?!
                            Sneezing monkeys would know better.
                            I'm a small boat owner (I'm normal height. The boat is small), and I keep a manual bilge pump readily at hand, just in case. And the boat is one of those sandwich foam designs that supposedly won't sink.

Everyone wears a PFD (inflatable belt design) all the time. It's a little 18-footer but I take the "skipper" responsibility seriously because the safety of everyone on board is my responsibility and we do end up a few miles offshore where it's definitely not "ankle deep".

The boat is certified for 8 but I seldom take more than three. It's more comfortable that way.

Comment

• I received an unconfirmed report (from a high level media executive) that one of the girls on the boat suffered a broken leg during the sandbar incident.
                              If that turns out to be true, my anger level (and that of many others) will increase exponentially.

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                              I'm a small boat owner (I'm normal height. The boat is small),
                              Oh, well written, Composite! [/applause]

and I keep a manual bilge pump readily at hand, just in case.
                              Well done again. Though of course a manual bilge pump wouldn't have been able to keep up with the inflow of water and would have been about as noneffective as their use of a bucket.

And the boat is one of those sandwich foam designs that supposedly won't sink.
                              Ah. It's a Boston Whaler? I remember their ads where they had cut a hull entirely in half, with a person sitting in each end, and the halves didn't sink. But if memory serves correctly the company was ordered to stop using the term "unsinkable' in its ads.

Everyone wears a PFD (inflatable belt design) all the time. It's a little 18-footer but I take the "skipper" responsibility seriously because the safety of everyone on board is my responsibility and we do end up a few miles offshore where it's definitely not "ankle deep". The boat is certified for 8 but I seldom take more than three.
                              I tip my hat to you with much respect, Composite.

Comment

I received an unconfirmed report (from a high level media executive) that one of the girls on the boat suffered a broken leg during the sandbar incident.
                                Are you sure this is separate from what JPhilipson noted:
                                Originally posted by jPhilipson
                                He even helped carry a girl who's leg was in a cast get off the boat and make sure that she was loaded into a nearby vessel.
                                As usual, appearances can be one thing, presumptions and expectations based on personal gripes another, and the truth something very often completely different.

I'm all for finding facts, sharing observations, and discovering important lessons to prevent future calamities... but to those who revel in gossip or standing by with tar and feathers at the ready, I'd ask for a little restraint. That we're half discussing the incident, and half joking about getting popcorn to watch expected fireworks is disappointing. This matter is in the hands of the people most qualified to address it, and take action if warranted. I'm mostly thankful that no one was seriously killed or hurt (alleged broken leg notwithstanding).

I'm glad my friend Joe survived, I'm bummed he lost his expensive gear, and I'm sure he's mortified that his natural, first-hand report of this incident has sparked so much drama.

Comment

Working...
                                X