Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disco hits that have vanished

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Wasn't that the format KQMQ had until they became 93.1 The Zone a couple of years back?

You're absolutely right. But once again, that's making a conscious effort to seek out such music.

In sharp contrast to the songs that have continued to emerge and live on in the mainstream media, like Dancing Queen, Y.M.C.A., and Funky Town. Trust me, someone does not need to access some specialized musical outlet on the internet/digital cable to run into those aforementioned songs, one way or another.

More songs to add to add to the list of disco hits that are now scarce.

Dynomite (Bazuka)
    Livin' It Up (Bell & James)

Does anyone else remember Mr. Jaws (Dickie Goodman). Not a disco song, per se. It was a novelty record, but it did sample some disco cuts. Now, I've not heard that one get airplay in ages, even though it was hugely popular when it first came out.
    I have Dynomite - Bazuka on my ipod. I think I bought it from Napster. I do remember Mr. Jaws by Dickie Goodman. From the top of my head I remember Please Mister Please by Olivia Newton John and I'm Not In Love - 10cc that was in Mr. Jaws. Mr. Jaws came out in 1975 when I was entering my junior year in high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
      Are the rumors true about Andrea True of the "More, More, More" fame?
      You mean if she was an adult film actress? How about the rumor about Ohio Players "Love Roller Coaster" when the part had the girl screaming and they said it was a girl that got stabbed in the studio while they were recording.

Comment

Those haunting Euro techno beat of Giorgio Moroder that you would hear on Sprockets.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
          Mr. Jaws came out in 1975 when I was entering my junior year in high school.
          Which is the same year the movie, Jaws, upon which the record is based came out.

Listen to Mr. Jaws here.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Speaking of RSO records, anyone remember the song "Heaven On the 7th Floor" by Paul Nicholas? I seem to recall that the guy also had a role in the Sgt. Pepper's movie.

Kalihiboy's comment about roller skating just had me flashing back to skating at Roller World on King Street where Scan Design is now. Can't forget Skateland in Pearl City, and Da Rink in the Chinese Cultural Plaza.

Comment

RSO Records was the most successful label during the disco era, no doubt about it. But running hot on their heels was Casablanca. It was not strictly a disco label, with heavy rockers like KISS and T. Rex gracing their roster. But they had some of the biggest disco acts. Donna Summer, the Village People, Lipps Inc.

Speaking of Casablanca, MECO specialized in grafting disco beat/instrumentation on some of the most popular movie soundtrack themes of the day. And in keeping with the topic of this thread, it is rarely heard on mainstream radio today.

Star Wars Theme/Cantina Band
              Theme from Close Encounters
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Dr. Hook (without the Medicine Show) who was on both Columbia and Capitol Records for most of their career came out with a dance track as their last hurrah on Casablanca called "When You're In Love With a Beautiful Woman" around 1981.

One of the other big disco movies of the time was "Thank God It's Friday" which also featured a 2 or 3 disc soundtrack album. Among the songs on that were "Last Dance" by Donna Summer, "With Your Love" by Donna Summer, "Too Hot to Trot" by the Commodores, "Thank God It's Friday" by Love & Tears, and "Disco Queen" by Paul Jabara. Hardly any of these songs get airplay today except on occasion for "Last Dance" which was a top 5 hit. The soundtrack was on Casablanca.

More Casablanca records hits:
                • "Chase" by Giorgio Morodor - 1979 from the movie Midnight Express.
                • "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" an Animals remake by Santa Esmeralda
                • "You're My Everything" a ballad by Santa Esmeralda that was the B-side of the above that became a hit in Hawaii.
                • "In the Navy" "YMCA" "Macho Man" and various other singles and albums by The Village People
                • Everything else in the 1970s by Donna Summer. She went to Geffen records in 1980 and then Mercury later on.
                • The "Flashdance" soundtrack album of 1982. Various artists.
                • Irene Cara had "Fame" as a hit in 1980 on RSO, "Flashdance (What a Feeling)" as a hit on Casablanca in 1982.
                • "Do That to Me One More Time" by The Captain & Tenille, 1980
                • "Yes I'm Ready" by Teri DeSario & K.C.
                • Meco was on a custom label by Casablanca called Millenium Records I believe.

According to Wikipedia, the label shut down in 1984 after falling sales and the catalog is now absorbed into Universal-Motown.

Finally some of these tracks are rarely played on the radio anymore.
                Last edited by mel; June 18, 2008, 05:02 AM. Reason: revision, additions, etc.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

John Stewart who sang GOLD, sadly died recently, he wrote a big hit that the Monkees or Neil Diamond recorded cannot think of it at the moment.
                  That would have been The Monkees' big #1 hit (they had several) from 1967 called "Daydream Believer." Neil Diamond wrote the Monkees' #1 hit "I'm a Believer" which is a late 1966 charted #1 single. All pre-disco of course!

Yeah it was sad to hear of Stewart's passing. I have and like his album Bombs Away Dream Babies from 1978-79 (RSO).

Speaking of Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, former Fleetwood Mac member Bob Welch had a couple hits around that time with "Sentimental Lady" and "Ebony Eyes". I was looking over the old California Jam I have on beta tape and on stage Stevie performs "Ebony Eyes" with Welch. "Sentimental Lady" was originally a Fleetwood Mac tune from the early 70's that never was a big hit, it was re-recorded a few years down the road and the tempo was changed and it became a big hit.
                  All great tracks. I have Welch's French Kiss album on Capitol. Was re-released to CD as a budget album. Can be found today for around $6. Another track from that album that was also kind of a hit was "Hot Love, Cold World". In 1979 he came out with another album that featured a little known hit "Precious Love", also on Capitol. I have both albums on vinyl, the later one is not on CD as far as I know.

Oh how about Alicia Bridges "I love the Nightlife", I liked Chic too, I don't hear "Good Times" played that often rather "Le Freak" it seems.
                  Another Chic song that I hardly hear is "Dance Dance Dance (Yowsah Yowsah Yowsah)".... one of their lesser known hits is "Rebels Are We" which hardly got any airplay when it first came out.

One of the funny places that I have heard some of the disco songs mentioned in this thread is at Don Quijote's Kaheka Store. They seem to have their internal sound system set on a 70s channel (do they get these from Oceanic?) that plays a lot of hits from the decade including disco.
                  Last edited by mel; June 18, 2008, 05:27 AM. Reason: fix typos
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

LOVE TRAIN.

I still hear it everywhere and in commercials.

Comment

Speaking of the Village People, I still really really enjoy the medley
                      "San Francisco/Hollywood" my husband cringes when I play it......
                      I also liked "Instant Replay" by Dan somebody or other, name escapes
                      me now, used to love to dance to that at The Bistro in Chicago a very
                      famous place for it's time similar to Hula's.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                        I also liked "Instant Replay" by Dan somebody or other, name escapes
                        me now,
                        That was Dan Hartman who also wrote the Edger Winter Group's big hit "Free Ride" from 1973. He scored again in 1984 with "I Can Dream About You."
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          That was Dan Hartman who also wrote the Edger Winter Group's big hit "Free Ride" from 1973. He scored again in 1984 with "I Can Dream About You."
                          Mahalo! I had somewhere just lurking in my brain, you know how that goes
                          when you know something but can't get it out?! Thanks, still love that
                          song! and I did enjoy "I can dream about you too" I remember that was when I was working in the building Oprah lived in and was planning our move here that whole year.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                            Speaking of RSO records, anyone remember the song "Heaven On the 7th Floor" by Paul Nicholas? I seem to recall that the guy also had a role in the Sgt. Pepper's movie.

Kalihiboy's comment about roller skating just had me flashing back to skating at Roller World on King Street where Scan Design is now. Can't forget Skateland in Pearl City, and Da Rink in the Chinese Cultural Plaza.
                            My favorite was Mililani Skate Palace.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
                              My favorite was Mililani Skate Palace.

Since we talkin bout long gone skate palace establishments I rememba goin to one is Waipahu when I was in the sixth grade when I was at Waimalu.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                                Since we talkin bout long gone skate palace establishments I rememba goin to one is Waipahu when I was in the sixth grade when I was at Waimalu.
                                That joint was called Skate World. It was next to where City Mill is now. I used to live in Waimalu. The housing area after you go under the freeway overpass.

Comment

Working...
                                X