Thread: Rail Transit
View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: mass transit renderings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui
New renderings were just posted at this link.
After looking at them, I just want to know where the station will be to get off for Adventureland and Tomorrowland and the Matterhorn.
Remember that chase scene in the "French Connection"? All I can picture is some crack-addicted lolo leading the HPD on a wild ride through the pillars...kinda like a slalom obstacle course. People do it sometimes under the Seattle Monorail.

Miulang

P.S. One thing the proponents of this mode of transportation need to consider is how long it's going to take to build. As an example, the first time the Seattle voters authorized the establishment of an expanded Monorail system, the price tag was like $3 billion (this was in the early 90s). By the time all the land was acquired (yes, through eminent domain) and after a series of raucous public meetings in 2005, the monorail authority sheepishly admitted that they had "underestimated" the total cost of the 26 mile line. So they went back to the drawing board and came up with a line that was only 13 miles long, didn't really go where it needed to go and said, "oh by the way, the price tag for the 13-mile line is going to be $13 billion. At that point, the taxpayers of Seattle said enough is enough and through a referendum, soundly killed the expanded Monorail line. In the meantime, I paid $1500 in car tab surcharges over 3 years to get nothing in return, and the County had a debt of $3 billion. They sold all the land they acquired and made money on the sale, so it allowed them to retire the debt this past April. But we still got nothing.

Last edited by Miulang; June 26th, 2006 at 07:29 PM.