The general purpose sci-fi movie thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The general purpose sci-fi movie thread

Oh so in the movie they had a flight of 24 jets in the air? For some reason I only recall 2, but I'm probably remembering a different scene. It's been ages since I've seen the movie.

I guess if they could find the Japanese carriers before they launched their planes, then game over. I still have the vague sense the planes were in the air towards the end of the movie.

I don't even remember them trying to warning Pearl Harbor. Was it the Nimitz trying to warn them, or was it one of the F-14 pilots?

Good point about the oil industry adapting to make the required jet fuel. I get so used to consumer technology changing every 2 years, I forget how much of our military still uses old stuff. I suppose the thing missing from the jet fuel would be all the additives?

I guess the electronics would be the weak link. Heck, I bet they'd stress out about light bulbs burning out.

Food for thought. Thanks Helen.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

My mistake, the Nimitz strike group had 16 jets not 24, it was 4 groups of 4 jets each. The movie showed them launching all 16 jets but that scene cut short when broadcast on TV. But you do see all 16 jets flying at least twice during the movie.

They tried to warn Pearl Harbor when the Senator they rescued demanded to them to contact Pearl Harbor but the radio person on Pearl Harbor didn't believe their call.

The jets were in the air and where in sight the Japanese strike group heading to Oahu when the time portal returned and the Captain recalled their strike group.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        They tried to warn Pearl Harbor when the Senator they rescued demanded to them to contact Pearl Harbor
        Oooh that guy. The idiot. Heh, I still remember what he looks like, I was so angry with him. The thing I can't forget is Kirk Douglas's cleft chin
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Wow, it's great to see that other people have enjoyed this movie as much as I did.

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
          I loved that movie as a kid, Mel. I haven't re-watched it as an adult, but I probably would still enjoy it.
          Joe, I also saw it as a kid (at one of the Waikiki twins), and I saw it recently as an adult. I STILL loved it. I still say it's the best time travel movies ever.

Comment

The short film Presto that is shown with WALL-E is about a magician who has 2 hats that are endpoints of a spacial portal. You stick an object inside one hat and it appears on the other hat and it can do it both directions at the same time.

It was a kind of funny piece since the magician has a rabbit that rebels because he wasn't being fed.

Comment

Presto was entertaining, but my favorite Pixar short has to be Lifted. It was shown before Ratatouille. It's the one where the big alien is testing the little alien's proficiency at abducting humans.

Comment

If you never saw the 1973 animated French/Cech classic Fantastic Planet you missed a great film. A great film that is was way ahead of it's time. I first saw this as a child at the Palace Theater in Hilo....strangeness was appealing at the time.

Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

We've probably all watched some good little-known sci-fi in the last almost 2 years, so I'm reviving this thread.

I recently watched "Moon", starring Sam Rockwell. It's slow paced, thinking person's sci-fi. I enjoyed it.

If you plan to see this movie, I would very strongly suggest you NOT watch the trailers online. They give away the big WTF moment in the movie.

Comment

Does 'Oprah' count?
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Maybe time for a SCI-FI community group?

Any volunteers?
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Alien invasions coming to Earth seems to be a theme for late 2010 and early 2011. There are at least 4 movies that will be released in 2011 that touches on this subject directly plus another 8 movies that might hint on it.

Comment

Another year, another revival of this thread......

I recently saw a German sci-fi movie called Cargo.

I liked it. The story starts off great and sets up an intriguing mystery, but it sort of ends flat. It's still a good movie, though, and if you can get your hands on it, it's worth seeing.

Another one I really enjoyed is Troll Hunter.

It's not quite sci-fi, but I don't think it's too far off. Again, a foreign movie (Norwegian, this time) and again, very enjoyable. This one is a little easier to find and the better of the two anyway.
                          Last edited by zff; January 31, 2012, 12:13 PM.

Comment

It's interesting, what is considered Sci-Fi and what is not. I told a friend of mine (a SF writer) that I didn't believe alternate history stories were SF, but rather fantasy, as there was no 'science' component. He argued that it really was Sci-Fi because of the involvement of different time lines and divergent universes - all quantum stuff.

I have enjoyed numerous SF movies, and I read SF short stories on a daily basis. However, nothing has touched me as deeply as "Blade Runner," based loosely on P.K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" I staggered out of Kailua's Wallace Theatre in 1982 wondering what I had just seen (in a positive way), and it is the ONE thing of which I can consider myself a 'fan.' I recognize the original release had numerous flaws, but the overall message just bowled me over.
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

For me if the story takes place in alternate reality that in of itself doesn't make it science fiction. Now if there was travel between 2 or more realities than perhaps it gets to be science fiction.

How that travel is done, that is another matter, if using a blue flying Maui style pidgen talking dragon, that's fantasy. If using a 19th century locomotive, that's steampunk. For a military themed story perhaps the use of Nimitz class carrier whos reactor has scrammed might fit the need. And to include the space opera theme into this it might be a ship powered by the all powerful Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator might work provided a certain grey colored lifeform doesn't interfere with you.

Comment

I am surprised that "2001" , Stanley Kubricks film has
                                not been mentioned here.

Comment

Working...
                                X