Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Least Favorite National TV Ads

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    Ha, It comes from trying to do the computer and watch TV at the same time. Since I reversed the posting of local/national last week, I will give support of such an error as .... just an oops!
    They're all just oopses! I've had my share of oopses in the disappearing eating establishments and disappearing businesses threads. I forget to read the thread's title! The local and national tv ad threads jump out at me, tho'. I wonder why!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      The local and national tv ad threads jump out at me, tho'. I wonder why!
      'Cuz you are a professional that knows the difference between "a mainland ad" and "dakine ad" ?
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the series of Capital One CC commercials starring Alec Baldwin to be anything but funny?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jtafwbv8io

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX7_dYzsR-k
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Is it just me, or does anyone else find the series of Capital One CC commercials starring Alec Baldwin to be anything but funny?
          I experience a sense of wonder that anyone could be persuaded to use the CC by watching them, and I am happy that Baldwin is able to supplement his income this way. I didn't realize they were supposed to be funny.
          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
            and I am happy that Baldwin is able to supplement his income this way.
            Doesn't he make enough 30 Rock money?

Comment

I was disappointed that Alec Baldwin became a spokesperson for Capital One because of their predatory practices, however, it appears that he has been turning over his earnings on these spots to charitable organizations he supports. Looks like he's already contributed over $5-million. Good move by Alec.

Anyway, I think the Alec Baldwin spots are much better than the embarrassingly bad Jimmy Fallon Capital One commercials with the baby. I can't find any word on whether the money is staying in Fallon's wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
                I was disappointed that Alec Baldwin became a spokesperson for Capital One because of their predatory practices, however, it appears that he has been turning over his earnings on these spots to charitable organizations he supports. Looks like he's already contributed over $5-million. Good move by Alec.
                The ends justify the means? From Alec Baldwin,... absolutely!

Anybody remember this gem from several years ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lxov...layer_embedded
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...5671--oly.html

Did he believe his image?

Comment

I think it's a State Farm ad, where a young lady believes everything on the internet and walks off with a date (a French model) she found on the internet. Blech.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                      I didn't realize they were supposed to be funny.
                      Originally posted by DaleP View Post
                      Anyway, I think the Alec Baldwin spots are much better than the embarrassingly bad Jimmy Fallon Capital One commercials with the baby.
                      Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                      I think it's a State Farm ad, where a young lady believes everything on the internet and walks off with a date (a French model) she found on the internet. Blech.
                      The ads are not supposed to be funny or un-funny, good or bad. Their primary purpose is to be MEMORABLE! and obviously they were successful in the cases cited above. Just ask Tutu!
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Memorable.. doesn't always work. I remember Anacin ads from when I was a kid, a guy bellowing FAST FAST FAST RELIEF and I have never once bought Anacin because of those obnoxious ads. There is a radio ad for some re fi company with astoundingly irritating female voices singing the company phone number and if I ever want to re fi I will definitely avoid that company. Remembering an obnoxious ad is kind of like remembering a restaurant that gave you food poisoning. Yes, you remember, but avoid. As a group I think insurance companies have fairly amusing ads. But I am not going to change my insurance because of them.

In the last few years lots of advertisers have taken to adding a background track of what I hesitate to call music. Its more like racket. I'm sure there's a technical term for what it is but I don't like it. I do not like any ad that shouts. Thats what the mute button is for. Or, and stations should pay attention to this, the channel change button. We made an interesting discovery. When you push the mute button whats on the screen actually compels attention. You (well, I, anyway) pay attention more with no sound, maybe because we are such visually oriented creatures. Sound very often repels but silence compels.

A friend from England observed about American TV ads that half the ads are for medicines and the other half are for lawyers suing the medicine companies. A bit of an exaggeration but there is some truth there.
                        Last edited by Kalalau; February 17, 2013, 05:42 AM.

Comment

http://money.msn.com/now/the-10-wors...t-infomercials

I haven't purchased any of those.

Comment

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_New...2911432129576/

Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Comment

I probably said it before, but I forget:

It's those huge hamsters rocking and bopping and driving KIAs.

Wish those ads were K.I.A.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

There is an ad running lately, I think it is for a hair regrowth pill, that puts the rush on with something along the line of:
                                "If your last name is between A-N, call now. If it is between O-Z, you may call after 9am tomorrow".
                                I envision:
                                Me: Hello....Ahhhhh gee, I want to really really order your product right now but my last name is "Zoomerboomer".
                                Customer Service: Sorry, you will need to wait until tomorrow morning to call us. We are not able to take money from Z people right now.

I know many companies think of customers as fools, but do they have to remind it of their low opinion of the public so blatantly?
                                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X