Thread: Rail Transit
View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:49 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Rail Transit

I grew up using Golden Gate Transit & BART in the SF Bay Area. Could get from my house in Sonoma County to a Giants or Raiders Game in under 2 hours easy. My home town had the "Schooner Buses" which held about 26 people each. A whole fleet of them ran "out & back" from the center of town to all the suburbs. The Ferry System on SF Bay is most excellent. Cal Train will get you to San Jose. You should see the TransBay Terminal in the heart of San Francisco !!! Got Buses, Subway's, Trains, Taxi's, you name it. With a real close freeway on & off ramp, and lot's of parking nearby.

The essential problem is the preference for low density growth (subdivisions) by the majority of a woefully miseducated, yet literate and vociferous crowd of "do-gooders".

"Tall structures are an eyesore."
"We must protect the view."
"Who want's to live in a rabbit hutch?"
"Zoning won't allow it."

Sit down kiddies, and let ol' Unco Tim tell you a story. A long time ago, about 112 years or so, there was no such thing as the automobile. Without the automobile, there was no such thing as subdivisions. Everybody lived in buildings up to 5 or 6 stories tall, and the buildings were very close together. Public Transit systems were wide-spread on the micro & macro level. New York & Chicago had world class train systems that carried nearly everybody. And when you looked out to the country, you saw orchards & livestock, instead of concrete and latchkey children.

The separation of CITY and Country was clear and well defined. People who know would tell you that it's not the car that is the villain. It is the subdivision, or low-density growth in general. You can protect the view, or you can protect the land. It's time to realize which is the better choice. Most especially for those who cling desperately to their suburbs and SUV's.