Re: Wal-Mart: Chapter 3

Here is a webpage describing the differences between Wal-Mart,
    Wal-Mart SuperCenter and a Sams Club.

http://tinyurl.com/4o9fu
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Well, I still haven't gone into the place because it has been SO crowded.

But I wanted to buy new shorts, or maybe even long pants (considering the calendar). I went to two different Ross stores, to Macy's, Sears, Old Navy, still couldn't find what I wanted. Well, yes, at Macy's, but I didn't want to pay fifty dollars for pants.

Maybe I'll just have to go to Wal-Mart. Or K Mart (?).

Comment

Really its still a zoo in the new Wal-Mart ? I would think the newness factor
        would've worn off already
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

It depends on the time of day that you go. I went around 2pm today and it was crowded at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. Saturday's night foray was around 9:30 pm and while it had people it wasn't that bad.

Comment

I ate at the food court in Sam's Club for dinner tonight. They sell hot dog with a soda for $1.50 but the soda cup they give you is 32 ounces vs the 22 ounces at Costco. While it is a Coke based fountain they also have Dr. Pepper in the mix.

More choices of pizza slices and slightly more choices of food, however you need to enter Sam's Club in order to get to the food court.

Comment

Does the size of the cup really matter since you get free refills right? I guess it depends on what size cup fits your cup holder in your car.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I think Sam's Club is maintaining similiar hours to Costco which also closes earlier on the weekends.

KalihiBoy

Comment

did you see last weeks Mad TV show? They did commercial spoofs on Wal Mart called WalsMart. Pretty much identifies with the negative remarks about them on this board. I died laughing! So I take it the temple scar on the Walsmart employees were implants? I'm not so sure how Wal Mart employees felt about that skit but I'm sure Kmart employees were having a field day with that show.

Comment

The L&L at Wal-Mart is open but they close at 9pm and I showed up at 9:30 pm.

Comment

I wear my sunglasses in the freakishly bright Super Centers of Walmart
                      The only complaint i have about them is how they leave a perfectly good building and rebuild as little as 200 feet away when the other building could have been added on to. Havent applied to work for them so i dont know that side of the coin.
                      Glad the Islands are just that, so that hopefully the empty left over bigboxes wont overtake the entire island one day.
                      If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

what building was that?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          what building was that?
                          If you are asking me, i mean any and all around this state i live in which is Oklahoma. Since the islands are islands, hopefully, they wont be able to do that, they'll stay in the same building a long time and then add to it if needed.
                          Did that make better sense?

If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Here you go: WM is eyeing Daiei, to the point that it has been in contact with the Japanese state-run organization set up to help bail out failing Japanese companies overseas.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/11/09/business/index3.html

Maybe WM will offer to buy out Daiei in Hawai'i, but keep it under the Seiyu name (of which it already owns 37%) so unsavvy people would think that there was still "competition" for WM? Hmmm...the plot thickens.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Locally, the Honolulu Daiei store seems to be holding its own and still generates a lot of traffic. Things kind of slowed down for the first week or so after WalMart opened, but now when I go to Daiei, the shopping experience is pretty much back to normal from before the time WalMart opened. Some of the grocery items at Daiei are cheaper than WalMart. Plus they have a way better grocery department in Daiei vs. the limited party and fast food kind of stuff they have at WalMart.

I don't know about Sam's Club, I haven't been there yet. Being an apartment kind of a guy I am not in much a position to be buying stuff in bulk with nowhere to store it. WalMart is good enough for me to get cheap clothes, household items, tools, electronic stuffs, CD, DVDs and things like that. Daiei good for groceries, deli, take out bentos, oriental foods, the $1 section, poki, and other items.

If Daiei falls I don't think it will be from the lack of business in the Honolulu store nor the other Oahu locations. More so it will be from their ongoing problems with the firm at large.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I heard today that that Sam's Club has laid off a bunch of people. I hope this is not true. Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Working...
                                X