Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More old Commercials anyone remember these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: More old Commercials anyone remember these?

Erika mentions some retro local ads in today's Buzz:

http://www.starbulletin.com/columnis...l?page=all&c=y

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Such a blast from the past! I cast that commercial in my dining room, early 1980s. Thanks for the link, tvguy.
      Yep, it was taped right after Zippy's first went 24 hours. From what I recall, that commericial (as well as the early Napoleon Bakery ads) had a pretty long life on the airwaves, continuing to air into the '90s.

Jade did an outstanding job on that spot.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Yep, it was taped right after Zippy's first went 24 hours. From what I recall, that commericial (as well as the early Napoleon Bakery ads) had a pretty long life on the airwaves, continuing to air into the '90s.
        Another blast from the past! I cast the Napolean guy, again, early 1980s. During that time local, non-union spots could be aired ad infinitum without any reuse pay for the actors...unlike today. Successful spots continued to air. Another example is the Hawaiian Tel spots produced during the mid 80s discussed in another thread, iirc. They aired into the early 90s, at least.
        Jade did an outstanding job on that spot.
        ...as she did during the audition! She nailed it. It's fun to watch that happen.

Comment

One of the best local beer commercials would have to be the Steinlager ad from the mid-1980s. It show one haole guy talking to a local guy, complaining about his friend who constantly beats him or one ups him on anything they do together. Then, that "friend" suddenly pops into the bar, and the haole guy tries to be generous and says, "Bartender, another of same all around." To which the friend responds, "Could you make mine a Steinlager?" And then, the haole guys mutters, "He did it to me again!"

Were you responsible for casting that commercial, Sue? If so, those actors were great. Even the local guy who had no lines. He had great facial expressions, just like Jade in the old Zippy's ad.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            [...]Were you responsible for casting that commercial, Sue?[...]
            Hmmmm...ummmmmmm...errrrrrrr...
            I remember working on a Steinlager spot, early to mid 80s. There was a bar scene with club style dancing, indicative of that era, in the background. I don't remember in what capacity I was working...casting, coordinating or continuity or a combination. I do remember, however, one local guy was an incredibly hot dancer...which is why I can't remember anything else about the spot 'cept it was shot on the west side; Paradise Cove area. The director kept fanning me!!! Oooooowheeeee, baby, ooowheee!

Comment

My dad did a Stroh's beer commercial with Jimmy Borges in an Alakea Street bar during the mid-70's. I forgot how the old Stroh's jingle went but the verse was kinda long. They took several hours to film the commercial, and when I got bored of watching the retakes I went outside and saw all kinds of sports memorabilia in boxes sitting on the sidewalk - belonging to Tosh Kaneshiro of that Dodger's bar. One item at the top of an open box was an Rams autographed football.

I think the commercial was aired on the mainland only even though it was filmed in Hawaii.
              Last edited by PearlCityMike; December 7, 2008, 03:14 PM.

Comment

One ad I'd like to see - it's an old Kramer's ad where the models are on a train. It was shot at the OR&L train yard. I know some people who'd probably like to see that again.

Comment

I have several Kramers ads from the mid to late 70's, but I think they are the cheap ads with photographs of the male models outside wearing their Kramer's shirts.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
                    My dad did a Stroh's beer commercial with Jimmy Borges in an Alakea Street bar during the mid-70's. I forgot how the old Stroh's jingle went but the verse was kinda long.
                    The Stroh's jingle I recall from the 1970's was "From One Beer Lover To Another Stroh's". I think even OJ did some ads for them at one point in time.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      The Stroh's jingle I recall from the 1970's was "From One Beer Lover To Another Stroh's". I think even OJ did some ads for them at one point in time.

Aj
                      Yeah that sounds familiar. I always thought it was rather long and awkward. I can still picture Borges with his trademark haircut and tinted glasses.

Comment

Last night I came across the old "Hi, I'm Kalani", i.e. Ponderosa Pines commercial. Someone awhile back was looking for the ad. Contact me if still interested.

Aj

Comment

Last night I came across the old "Hi, I'm Kalani", i.e. Ponderosa Pines commercial. Someone awhile back was looking for the ad. Contact me if still interested.
                          Another "Where Dey Stay Now?" story.

I remembered that commercial. So, what happened to the little guy?
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            Another "Where Dey Stay Now?" story.

I remembered that commercial. So, what happened to the little guy?
                            I gather he's in his mid 30's or older by now. I don't know his real name. I'd love to do a story on local commercial personalities of the past.

Aj

Comment

[...]I'd love to do a story on local commercial personalities of the past.

Aj
                              And I'd love to read that story!

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                                ===========================

I knew I saw that thing someplace! hana hou!
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAGMxbH0EDg
                                Damn why did they remove this one???

Comment

Working...
                                X