Local TV Ads You Don't Like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Local TV Ads You Don't Like

Ever since Oceanic started that series of ads with the oddly matched couple I haven't been able to find my remote fast enough when it comes on. I don't know why but I find the guy, the girl and the whole tone of those ads irritating. I know why because it's so stupid and so uncreative.

But nothing even comes close to the "Battery Bill" ads - awesome audio track whoever came up with that. Man... hard to imagine someone in a studio mixing that and going "ya, that's good enough". I'm speechless.

The only thing I've ever heard worse that that was several years back Zippy's was running ads that were basically a drum machine playing a beat with some "slam" sounds overdubbed.

The sad part is that overall creativity in Hawaii is suppressed and crap gets gets the go ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Golfsnorkel View Post
      [...]
      The sad part is that overall creativity in Hawaii is suppressed and crap gets gets the go ahead.
      I won't get advertiser specific here but often local commercials are written in-house. That is, no outside ad agency that specializes in creativity and has staff who can bring the product thru the concept and production process. It's a budget decision. Money is the biggest suppressor! With the current economy my guess is we're going to see more in-house spots...or more dragged out of the vaults and dusted off to avoid production expenses and/or counteract department lay-offs.

That said...these ads are being discussed, be it negative or positive, therefore there is already an element of success to them!!!
      Last edited by tutusue; December 12, 2009, 04:04 PM. Reason: typo!

Comment

I don't like the Oceanic ads with the couple but its an interesting progression - from meeting (with her on another island) to dating to living together to marriage and now..................a baby? wonder how they're going to feature that?

on the other hand - the Oceanic phone service commericals I like - but only because I know the actress, who is my daughter's best friend!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          I'll bet you're wrong!
          I don't wager, unlike someone here.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I don't like that some of the spots for Oceanic are played back louder. It's at a point where the sound is distorted. If it's done intentionally, it's having a negative effect on this viewer.
            Always check and double check

Comment

Originally posted by Video Guy View Post
              I don't like that some of the spots for Oceanic are played back louder.[...]
              It's not just Oceanic. I've noticed about 50% of the commercials are at an unacceptable audio level. I have to keep the remote within easy reach to hit the mute button before I get busted by condo security for a noise violation. I started noticing it this year. Maybe it coincided with the digital change-over. I wonder if that, or HD, has anything to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                The Hawaiian Airlines ad that features an "interview", where the lady states that 99% of Hawaii's people like to gamble. Nice ploy on the airlines part, trying to make gambling out to be something that EVERYONE does, so hurry and catch their Las Vegas flight.
                "Everyone else does it" is usually reserved for trying to influence teens, I'm suprised that the Hwn Air ad people are pulling it on adults.
                Hmmmmm. If 99% of Hawai'i's people "like to gamble," then why don't we have a State lottery supporting our educational system like so many other states do, so that we don't have to have "Furlough Fridays?"

Is someone lying? Or are our legislators refusing their mandate to have government by, of and for the people?

You already know my take on our legislature....

K?
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  It's not just Oceanic. I've noticed about 50% of the commercials are at an unacceptable audio level. I have to keep the remote within easy reach to hit the mute button before I get busted by condo security for a noise violation. I started noticing it this year. Maybe it coincided with the digital change-over. I wonder if that, or HD, has anything to do with it.
                  I've noticed that too.

Maybe they can accept hotter audio signals now.

Comment

Originally posted by Golfsnorkel View Post
                    Maybe they can accept hotter audio signals now.
                    I LOVE IT LOUD!
                    When the max level is 10, I put mine to 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                      I LOVE IT LOUD!
                      When the max level is 10, I put mine to 11.
                      DO YOU HAVE A HEARING IMPAIRMENT?!
                      Do you live in a single family home, by chance?! Condo dwellers have to be careful not to get noise violations!

Comment

For a long time commercials were intentionally louder, but the FCC supposedly put a stop to that practice.
                        And maybe it's a problem with your cable service. I've had to trade in my cable boxes about twice a year when they broke down, since we only get rebuilt boxes here in Hawaii, never new ones. My most recent trade-in was just last week, and the master volume is waaaay too soft. About half the strength of my last cable box.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Just read about this today

Commercials too loud? Congress may act
                          December 14, 2009 5:27 PM
                          Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Congress could make TV broadcasters turn down the volume on their commercials.

California Democratic Congresswoman Anna Eshoo is among the TV viewers who complain that the volume gets louder during commercial breaks. Eshoo found that it's a common complaint with the Federal Communications Commission. So, she drafted a bill aimed at keeping TV ads from playing noticeably louder than the programs they sponsor.

But Robert Thompson, a professor of television and popular culture at Syracuse University, says Congress should have better things to do. He says he doesn't think anyone has ever been harmed by loud commercials.

The House is scheduled to vote on the proposal tomorrow. An identical measure is before the Senate. But some experts say even if it becomes law, viewers may not notice a difference.

The head of an industry group says sound spikes can be part of the storytelling. And some commercials may just seem noisy because they follow a quiet, intense scene in the TV show.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comment

Battery Bill... battery bill.... sorry, but I love Mel Cabang in that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HaleiwaDiva View Post
                              [...]He says he doesn't think anyone has ever been harmed by loud commercials.[...]
                              Maybe not physically harmed as in busted eardrums but it sounds like he doesn't live in a condo where house rules warn of noise violations!

I've always been aware of a slight difference in volume with commercials but now it's absolutely over the top. I'm constantly reaching for the remote which I never had to do before.

Possibly this topic should be it's own thread then we can email the legislators the URL!

Comment

It's not that I don't like the ad, but the spokeschick in the Jared Nakashima (?) TV spot needs to really shampoo her hair. That crap looks oily as hell.
                                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X