Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha from Colorado!

Originally posted by bestbotanicals
    I found out that our favorite hotel "Waikiki Inn" is gone - can't believe it! It was a quant "villiage" type hotel, tucked away in downtown Waikiki.
    Danita

believe it. Hawaii government does away with anything instilling a sense of place. leveling all older smaller lowlevel properties in order to erect a 35 story tower.

Still others almost as quaint exist:
    Hawaiiana hotel, and others on beachwalk. also cruise saratoga, lewers... "old waikiki" soon to be ma-ke, die dead. enjoy what we got while ya can.

wait.. you don't mean the Waikikian, by any chance, eh?

Comment

Yes, the Waikikian (sp?)! Do you remember it?

My husband and I "courted" there! I felt like it was paradise admist the chaos in Waikiki!

D.
      Look good - feel great!
      http://www.danitajones.myarbonne.com

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

wait.. you don't mean the Waikikian, by any chance, eh?
        Of course..wea the Tahitian Lanai served the best Egg Benedicts with Hollandaise Sauce! Ahhhh wuz so romantic....nothing like yester-years!
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Yes, the Waikikian (sp?)! Do you remember it?

D.

sure do. was a fave place of da ohana. Ronny Miyashiro, a long time family friend played there alla time papeete bar. Tahitian lanai
          scored a few "tiki" decor pieces before they closed down from da auction.
          now, looking for pics and/or video shot at da place.

Comment

I thought we were the only people in the WORLD who knew about the Waikikian! Sniffles.

We loved the prime rib.

OK - here's a question about a local entertainer. Don't laugh at me - I can't spell his name - don't even know if I have it right --

There was a guy (very cute!) who did a vantriliquist act with a dummy.....in one of the lounges downtown...

(missing the first part of his name)"..........and moku kahna" (no laughing at my Hawaiian spelling (or English for that matter).

I have a signed picture of him somewhere!!!!! We were hoping to see him perform when we come back (or did the government replace HIM???!!)

fond regards,

danita
            Look good - feel great!

Comment

There was a guy (very cute!) who did a vantriliquist act with a dummy.....in one of the lounges downtown...

(missing the first part of his name)"..........and moku kahna" (no laughing at my Hawaiian spelling (or English for that matter).

I have a signed picture of him somewhere!!!!! We were hoping to see him perform when we come back (or did the government replace HIM???!!)
              Freddie Morris and his dummy, Moku Kahana. Last I heard, several years ago, he was ill and the entertainment community was doing a fundraiser for him.

Edit: Found more info. Sorry, he died in 1998. Here's an obituary:

Freddie J. Morris Jr., 38, of Kailua, a ventriloquist, comedian and singer, will be remembered in memorial services 4 p.m. Saturday at the Elks Lodge in Waikiki. Scattering of ashes to follow. Casual attire. Friends are also welcome to the "Farewell to Freddie Gala" scheduled for 7 p.m. tomorrow at the Banana Patch Lounge in the Miramar Hotel. No cover charge. Local entertainers include emcee Paul Ogata, Don Ho, Bo Irvine and Danny Couch. Morris died Monday Sep 7, 1998 in Castle Hospital. Born in Saragossa, Spain, he is survived by brothers Robert, Vincent and Barry; sisters Joy and Denise Dennis; grandmother Mona; and daughter Jennifer Dominguez.
              Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; February 24, 2005, 01:57 PM.

Comment

danita

Nooo!
                the cute guy was Lingle, the dummy was Harris.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  Nooo!
                  the cute guy was Lingle, the dummy was Harris.
                  Lingle is a Woman silly! Uhhhh....the dummy is H..neva mind!

Comment

Thanks sooo much for finding out and posting that info on Freddie. How terribly sad! He was such a young man.

Danita
                    Look good - feel great!

Comment

Danita, do you live near Ft. Carson? My son was stationed there.

Comment

We live about an hour and a half away from Ft. Carson. Have you been to Colorado?

D.
                        Look good - feel great!

Comment

We live about an hour and a half away from Ft. Carson. Have you been to Colorado?

D.
                          No, unfortunately...the WAR started an he had to go to Iraq for his tour of duty with his regement. When he got back, he came home returned to Colorado then returned here to Hawai'i and deployed again to Afganistan. WHeeew! I wish I had visited. I made friends with the Family Readiness Group of Ft. Carson, we went through alot together!

Comment

Oh, I'm so sorry that your son is in Afganastan! God bless our troops!

What about Punaluu...is that a decent beach? We found a cottage there. I am so afraid to committ - afraid I will do it then find something better. Ha.

I wish there was a central website to book all these rentals - that I could put my wish list in -- and everything on the island available whould show up. Ha.

Thanks for all your help! Counting the days.....

danita
                            Look good - feel great!

Comment

Re: Waikiki Inn

My wife and I stayed in the Waikiki Inn (tucked in between the Illikai and Hilton Hawaiian Village) when I was on R&R (from Vietnam) in 1968. It was there that I met my 3 month old daughter for the first time.

It was a quaint two-story hotel, very Hawaiin in character and an excellent place to savor the true nature of the island. I am sorry to hear that it has given way to another high rise. But . . . money rules, eh? Too bad.

We'll come back some day . . . to a quieter setting on the quiet side of the island.

Kingtut

Comment

Re: Waikiki Inn

Originally posted by Kingtut
                                My wife and I stayed in the Waikiki Inn (tucked in between the Illikai and Hilton Hawaiian Village) when I was on R&R (from Vietnam) in 1968. It was there that I met my 3 month old daughter for the first time.

It was a quaint two-story hotel, very Hawaiin in character and an excellent place to savor the true nature of the island. I am sorry to hear that it has given way to another high rise. But . . . money rules, eh? Too bad.

We'll come back some day . . . to a quieter setting on the quiet side of the island.

Kingtut
                                Thank you for sharing. As I read your post, I had chicken skin. Thank you for serving our country. Your daughter is about my children's age. Their all soldiers. I hope you and your wife return someday soon and enjoy that special moment you had years ago, upon your return from Vietnam. Unfortunately, you are correct...it'll probably be not in Waikiki. It's a jungle there. (eh, sound like one song)

Aloha,
                                1stwahine,auntie pupule

Comment

Working...
                                X