The Honolulu Star Advertiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Honolulu Star Advertiser

I just went to the website and got a blank page except for the logo and it wanted me to sign in. (As a full subscriber to the print edition I'd signed up a week ago and have free full access.) So I signed in, it accepted my sign in, and took me to... another blank page with just the logo.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I hope we don't lose free access to stories like these from the SA today:
      • Two dogs unharmed in Waikiki apartment fire
      • Calif. taxidermist preserves Gaga's meat dress
      • HPD reaches out with Facebook page

Stories like these are why Hawaii folk are happy to pay a premium rate over mainland subscribers, and to choose to pay for a subscription to the SA over other choices.
      Last edited by Amati; August 1, 2011, 02:49 PM.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/

I hold in my hands, the last envelope.

Comment

Non-subscriber to this point, but I checked in this morning (first day of 'walled' content) to see what is and is not available to us freeloaders. Happy to discover that Dave Reardon and Erika Engle are NOT considered 'Premum Content.' That may be enough for me to continue non-subscriber status. We'll see what I can't live without . . .

Comment

Just noticed that the www.staradvertiser.com/mobile url now forwards you to their main site. The mobile link was good because there were no ads, but I guess that's why it's no longer there, no ads. I avoided the StarAdvertiser mobile app because of all the inline ads. I guess that's where I'm going though since the full site on a smartphone won't cut it.

I'll assume this is all related the new pricing structure.
            Always check and double check

Comment

Just to add...the mobile app also only shows "Breaking" news. But the full list of stories is only available on the main site. Btw, there's no link to the main site from the mobile app...at least I don't see one.

Comment

Originally posted by Video Guy View Post
                I guess that's where I'm going though since the full site on a smartphone won't cut it.
                Originally posted by Video Guy View Post
                Just to add...the mobile app also only shows "Breaking" news. But the full list of stories is only available on the main site. Btw, there's no link to the main site from the mobile app...at least I don't see one.
                Are you talking about with or without a paid subscription? With a paid subscription, you can read the entire issue in a third-party app called PressReader. I'm working on a review of the new service now, and reading the paper on a smartphone, especially with PressReader, is pretty dang good.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

9 reasons newspapers are suddenly asking print subscribers to pay for full Web access - (article from the Poynter Institute)

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    Are you talking about with or without a paid subscription? With a paid subscription, you can read the entire issue in a third-party app called PressReader. I'm working on a review of the new service now, and reading the paper on a smartphone, especially with PressReader, is pretty dang good.
                    I don't have a subscription. I'll take a look at PressReader though. Just to clarify the www.staradvertiser.com/mobile link was just text links of the headlines to text versions of the stories. But I understand why it's different now. Just an observation.

Comment

Interesting. The Honolulu Advertiser is up and well...at least the classifieds and online something or other.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Interesting. The Honolulu Advertiser is up and well...at least the classifieds and online something or other.
                        I think it was kept up for the archives. If you went far enough back on the archives of the StarAdvertiser site, you were directed to the appropriate predecessor.

Comment

My Mom subscribes to StarAdvertiser's paper, so I used her info to get free online access. It was so easy... they ask for your last name, phone number and zipcode... and her account info came up. in fact, it was too easy. I was thinking, anyone can steal an online subscription this way. The best target would be an elderly person (which my Mom is), who would likely not have internet access.

Another thing, what's to prevent someone from giving their passcode to all their friends and coworkers? And this could get passed on even further.

Comment

The S-A has daily polls on their website; they used to be only Monday through Friday but now are seven days per week. Good.
                            They publish the results in the print version the following day. Also good.
                            Usually they also publish how many votes there were, but maybe 1/3 of the time they don't publish the count. Hmmmm.
                            That's all just a lead-in to the fact that I sometimes wonder at the choices of possible answers, as it seems they sometimes leave out obvious possibilities. Intentional or not? Dunno.
                            But get this: Today's poll says:

How do you plan to catch Saturday’s University of Hawaii football season opener against Colorado?

A. Go to the game
                            B. Pay TV
                            C. Radio
                            D. Don't care

They didn't mention the obvious possible answer, which is that almost all of us will watch it live and for FREE on ESPN2.
                            Why would they leave that out of the poll?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                              Another thing, what's to prevent someone from giving their passcode to all their friends and coworkers? And this could get passed on even further.
                              Perhaps the state isn't full of people trying to get something for nothing.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              They didn't mention the obvious possible answer, which is that almost all of us will watch it live and for FREE on ESPN2.
                              Why would they leave that out of the poll?
                              I'm guessing it's not the sportswriters who wrote the question. Someone knows what the general options are but didn't know this game is going to be on national television. Heck, I'm kind of a fan but I didn't know until I read this post that the game was on ESPN2.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                                I'm guessing it's not the sportswriters who wrote the question. Someone knows what the general options are but didn't know this game is going to be on national television. Heck, I'm kind of a fan but I didn't know until I read this post that the game was on ESPN2.
                                I didn't either... until I read it in today's Star-Advertiser. The same place that has the poll.

Comment

Working...
                                X