Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Aloha Run (GAR)

I aim to do this someday....

Anyone else have any interesting GAR stories?

Who ran this year? Times? How many have you run? etc.

Re: The Great Aloha Run (GAR)

Never ran, but I helped out at one once. We had to pass out water to the racers when they got near Aloha Stadium later in the day. School sports team dealie when I was in 9th grade. We were there since 4 AM. It was cold. For the rest of the day, actually... I'm all for helping and volunteering and all that jazz. But...I don't like it when the people I'm giving ice cold water to take it and splash it back in my face ...although, I guess it was kind of funny when those goofball army guys got a faceful of water in return for slapping cups out of some volunteers' hands.

Ah well, I'd do it again
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

A few years back a bunch of classmates and I decided to participate in the GAR. Along the way we got separated as we walked at different paces. Long story short three of our classmates came in about an hour after most of us. We found out the reason they lagged so far behind is because they stopped by at Kelley's for a snack. We entered for three years straight and I think it's time we did it again.

Comment

Never ran it, but also helped doing finish line "crowd control" with the Law Enforcement Explorers. From the looks on their faces as they walk through the finish line, I got tired just looking at them.

Of course, I heard stories from them about the course and I'd love to run that course some day.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

My boyfriend ran this year. He PR'd with a time of somewhere around 50 min (the official results aren't up yet) , which beat his PR for last year! He's cautiously optimistic that he made top 50 overall runners for GAR.

I'm amazed at how much he continues to improve and how much motivation he has. I'm really hoping he meets his goal of doing the Ironman Championship in Kona.

Comment

Congrats to this year's 19,207 runners, walkers, strollers, and all participants. Star-Bulletin write-up here, with some of the top finishers in various categories. The best time of 43:17 was claimed by Ryan Padilla of Boulder, Colo., the top local finisher was Casper Dahl at 43:53, and the top woman finisher was Honolulu's Marie-Louise Brasen.

The official results, when they are posted, will be available here.

I'm really hoping he meets his goal of doing the Ironman Championship in Kona.
            Good luck to him. Going from the Great Aloha Run to the Ironman is a heck of a journey!

Comment

I joined my wife in running (actually walking and some running) this event every year in 1999. She started around 1995 with my daughter, but when she graduated and went away to college, I took her place. Our times hover around the 2 hour mark every year.

I'm in aches and pains today, but not as bad as my wife.
              Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

I still haven't done it.

I have the inclination and there wherewithal, but just don't have the time.
                (a quote from a John Wayne movie.

Of course that's only my first excuse.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

Good luck to him. Going from the Great Aloha Run to the Ironman is a heck of a journey!
                  I left out a lot of info...my boyfriend has been training and doing triathlons for over a year now. He did his first Half-Ironman in Kona in June 2005 and was mad at himself for not meeting his goal of 4.5 hrs or something like that. Instead, he did the half-Ironman in 05:32:29 This was after he suffered food poisoning two nights before, which resulted in him being extremely dehydrated the day of the race and not being able to sleep those two nights prior due to his stomach problems. He was saying at some points during the half-Ironman it was all he could do to not stop and thow up during the bike and run portions. (We had mussels for dinner the night that resulted in his food poisoning...needless to say he won't be repeating THAT mistake! )

Talk about insanity...wish I had that kind of physical exertion fervor (other than lifting the food to my mouth, heehee).

Comment

Yes! I made the 1 hour to 1:29.59 list!!! So folks, it takes at least 5 minutes to get to the starting line after the gun goes off. My chip time and clock times were at least that far off.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

I did my first Great Aloha Run in 2013. Been training for next month's event since November. Most times I walk around the block of where I live but lately I have been going to Magic Island to practice for the event. Should also point out that I will be walking the distance instead of running it.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        I did my first Great Aloha Run in 2013. Been training for next month's event since November. Most times I walk around the block of where I live but lately I have been going to Magic Island to practice for the event. Should also point out that I will be walking the distance instead of running it.
                        YAAAAAY for you, Helen!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X