Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Apple Announcements

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    iTunes Movie Rentals. Touchstone, Mirimax, MGM, Lionsgate, Newline, Fox, WB, Disney, Paramount, Universal & Sony are all on board. Available today.
    I read somewhere that rentals aren't available until February. I looked for a rental option at the iTunes store, and couldn't find one.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I am guessing that the $20 iPod Touch upgrade must be purchased through the iTunes Store. But what if you don't want to set up an iTunes Store account? Is it possible to buy a $20 iTunes gift card and just use that, without registering?

Comment

You may be right. The iTunes and QuickTime software updates that are required to facilitate rentals are available now, but I guess they haven't flipped the switch in the store.

The updated iPhone software is available now, and I had it installed within an hour of the end of the keynote. The wiggly icons are pretty neat, and I've already created a page of web links adjacent to my home screen. And the geolocating Google Maps app is pretty cool, too. Pretty much nails the neighborhood using only AT&T cellular towers.

I'm hoping the Apple TV software update is also available today. I guess I'll have to wait until I get home to check.

If and when rentals come online, it's going to be a real test in our living room. Tivo+Amazon Unbox, Vudu, or Apple TV for movies? I gotta say, I'm glad to have all this competition in the living room, finally, fighting the cable companies.

As for the MacBook Air? Sexy! I've always been a fan of ultralight laptops (one of my favorite machines ever was an early generation Sony Vaio 505 series). I got it when I worked at a job with a lot of travel, and I loved being able to slip it anywhere you'd slip a couple of magazines. As long as you've got a "main" computer, I think the MacBook Air is a winner. No user replaceable battery (but Apple can replace it for the same price as a MacBook battery), and all the specs are frozen (no upgrades)... but people who do a lot of mobile computing will find it hard to resist!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
          I am guessing that the $20 iPod Touch upgrade must be purchased through the iTunes Store. But what if you don't want to set up an iTunes Store account? Is it possible to buy a $20 iTunes gift card and just use that, without registering?
          No, you have to set up an account. Even if you have a gift card, in order to use it, you must set up an account. The purchases are tied to the account used to purchase them.

And (note to others) rentals were promised by the end of February.
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Rentals are available in the iTunes store now. I'm currently downloading Ratatouille for $3.99. It's 1.27 GB.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

In about ten minutes, the "Stevenote" -- Steve Jobs' keynote -- will begin at the Worldwide Developers Conference. The usual geek frenzy has been building for weeks in anticipation of what might be announced, notably iPhone 2.0. Live internet covrage from MacRumors.com, Engadget, and Gizmodo. Let's see what turns up.

Comment

Looks like a cheaper iPhone with longer battery life and faster network speeds. Also possibly offering more business apps to compete with Blackberry. How do early adopters feel? This will be half of the original cost now right?

Comment

Also looks like a higher media package price from AT&T. You end up paying more in the end.

Comment

MobileMe sounds like exactly what I have been looking for. Syncs with iCal and Outlook? If it can sync with Google Calendars too, then I am so there.

Now, to wait for the actual product to see if the reality matches the promises.

Comment

Something is wrong in Cupertino when the new generation iPhone are cheaper than the iPod Touch....
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Apple must be getting a cut off the service fees to be lower priced than the iPod Touch. Has anyone seen what the month service fee will be for the iPhone?
                        Check out Bytemarks the blog and Bytemarks the Yahoogroup

Comment

Originally posted by Quark View Post
                          Apple must be getting a cut off the service fees to be lower priced than the iPod Touch. Has anyone seen what the month service fee will be for the iPhone?
                          This from the San Francisco Chronicle:

"AT&T remains the iPhone's exclusive service provider in the United States, with a two-year contract. It will offer voice plans starting at $39.99 per month plus unlimited 3G Internet service for $30 a month. That's a $10 increase from the cheapest plan for the earlier iPhone."

Comment

Thanks Honoruru. I guess that is the price for hi-speed internet where ever you go with your iPhone. Looks like I will be sticking to my limited wifi access iPod Touch.
                            Check out Bytemarks the blog and Bytemarks the Yahoogroup

Comment

Originally posted by Mel
                              Something is wrong in Cupertino when the new generation iPhone are cheaper than the iPod Touch...
                              Originally posted by Quark View Post
                              Apple is still getting full price for the phone. AT&T is subsidizing it upfront with a 2-yr deal like they do other phones, it's just not being advertised that way. they gave up the revenue sharing to let AT&T subsidize it. they are looking to really get this phone in everyones hand. the $199 price point is amazing for this phone, and the analyst agree.

Now you HAVE to activate in the store (apple or att). they will not be sold online.

People that questioned apple goal of 10 million by the end of 2008 were thinking VERY short sighted. This phone will be sold in 70 countries in time for back to school and christmas
                              website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                              blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

If the iPod Touch continues at the present price and the iPhone is selling for less, it spells doom for the iPod Touch... unless Apple lowers the price of that device.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X