X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: National TV Ads You Like

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    Somebody explain the McDonalds ad with the girl explaining "Women are like McGriddles" to the kid who's just been dumped, and when that doesn't take, she tries again with "Women are like coffee." I'm still trying to figure out her metaphor/analogy/simile and the point she's trying to make. Or maybe I'm trying to read into it a point that isn't there?
    Dunno for sure but, possibly, it's a new, subtle pick-up line! He likes McGriddles and coffee. She likes him. And, she's a woman!

Comment

Born from Jets

The new SAAB automobile commercial.

Saab Gripen JAS 39 fighter jets follow in formation over a new model convertible Saub, as the narrator explains how the SAAB automobile company was founded by 16 SAAB aircraft engineers.

Cool Factor: Perfect 10
      Last edited by Pomai; October 24, 2005, 07:55 PM.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Born from Jets

Originally posted by Pomai
        The new SAAB automobile commercial.

Saab Gripen JAS 39 fighter jets follow in formation over a new model convertible Saub, as the narrator explains how the SAAB automobile company was founded by 16 SAAB aircraft engineers.

Cool Factor: Perfect 10
        I'll watch for this one. Thanks for the heads up.

A friend emailed me a foreign PSA...one of the funniest I've ever seen. A kid throws a full blown tantrum in a grocery store when the dad won't buy him a bag of candy. Kid screams; really screams, runs thru the aisles, destroys items at his level. The camera periodically cuts to close-ups of the dad and customers in varying degrees of distress. The super over the final scene, a close-up of a very disgruntled but silent dad, reads: Use Condoms!

Comment

I think this is the condom ad you're talking about, 2-2.

None come to mind at the moment, but I've been enjoying more ads lately... the fun ones tend to come in waves, I've noticed. Lots of them air on The Food Network. The exploding food mascot ads for Eclipse gum (I think) still make my family cackle. The "out of work pillagers" (also Capital One) where the Vikings try to get day jobs is also entertaining.

Glad Linkmeister asked about that McDonald's McGriddle's ad. Very, very cute, but what exactly is she trying to say? "Get another McGriddle" -- i.e. move on to another girl -- is how I'd read it, too, but she goes on to coffee (don't they look a bit young to be into coffee? At least McD coffee, if not trendy Starbucks?) as if that's wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Glad Linkmeister asked about that McDonald's McGriddle's ad. Very, very cute, but what exactly is she trying to say? "Get another McGriddle" -- i.e. move on to another girl -- is how I'd read it, too, but she goes on to coffee (don't they look a bit young to be into coffee? At least McD coffee, if not trendy Starbucks?) as if that's wrong.
            Well, yeah, but she moves on to coffee as though "get another (girl)" isn't the answer she wanted. It's incomprehensible.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I think this is the condom ad you're talking about, 2-2.
              [...]
              Yep! That's the one!

Comment

Some of the most enjoyable ads are actually bad ads, insofar as their cleverness distracts from the product, service, or company being promoted. Case in point, an ad I saw earlier this week and loved to death, but one I can't tie to a company at all.

It's basically two middle-aged nerds in the control room of, presumably, a nuclear facility, having a pointless argument over the naming of sandwiches. BLT versus BLMT (adding "M"ayo), and the correctness of excluding condiments and bread from acronyms. Meanwhile, around them, red lights are blinking and people are running around, as a crisis is underway. The men break up their argument long enough to specify a valve or something, the crisis is averted, and while their coworkers rejoice, they continue their sandwich debate.

Funny, but... what was the point again?

Hey! I just remembered. It was for Nextel, I think, and PTT. They use the phone to radio the solution to the crew in the reactor (or wherever). Okay, then.

Still, that was a lot more work to remember than I think it should've taken!

Comment

Some of the most enjoyable ads are actually bad ads, insofar as their cleverness distracts from the product, service, or company being promoted.[...]
                  So true...as is the opposite...we can recall everything about those gawd awful ads we detest! It's so funny to peruse alt.tv.commercials and watch the trashing of ads. People remember every detail, esp. the product. Mission accomplished by the advertiser...or, rather, the advertiser's ad agency!

A few years ago I was talking to my dad about some extremely creative, funny, well produced, well directed spots and asked if he'd seen any of them. Trouble was, I couldn't remember any of the products! Not good!

Comment

I love, love, love this Geico ad:

It opens with a guy in a tastefully decorated bedroom saying to himself, "Pow!" and gazing fondly at this godawful painting of a black guy in a martial arts position. You just know the guy is fantasizing about how he's the guy in the painting. His gorgeous, well-dressed wife walks in, the husband looks at her, beaming with pride about his new painting, and she gives him a withering look and walks away like, "I can't believe I married this dork."

The voiceover: "In the time it takes you to take out the trash ..."

I like this ad in part because it's making fun of the 1970s blaxploitation-martial arts movies, but it's doing it in a way that won't offend anyone (except maybe the extremely oversensitive types, but what doesn't?) because the painting is just so horrendously tacky that you have to laugh at it. And the guy just loves it, and he's so proud of himself for finding it. To make it even worse, the painting's colors are brown, orange and black -- completely in opposition to the wife's tasteful decor.

And the unspoken conversation between the husband and wife is perfect -- we've all had that conversation!

I can see this ad five times in one late evening and love it every time.
                    Last edited by MadAzza; October 29, 2005, 01:40 PM. Reason: just for kicks

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                      So true...as is the opposite...we can recall everything about those gawd awful ads we detest! It's so funny to peruse alt.tv.commercials and watch the trashing of ads.
                      Wow, I used to frequent a.tv.c several years ago. It's been a while -- thanks for the reminder! Sometimes the people who post there seem like complete idiots, though. Well, that's Usenet! But it might be a good complement to this thread, if anyone feels like checking it out.

Comment

There's a fairly new ad for Mitsubishi trucks that's an absolute must-see.
                        One Mitsubishi truck and one Brand X truck meet out in the desert. Looks like a head to head confrontation, Old West style, between the two trucks.
                        Mitsubishi truck lunges once toward Brand X.
                        Brand X immediately starts leaking fluid from under the engine, just like a little kid peeing his pants.
                        HaAAAH!!!

(The description above doesn't even come close to how funny the ad is to see. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being best, I give the ad a 14.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                          One Mitsubishi truck and one Brand X truck meet out in the desert. Looks like a head to head confrontation, Old West style, between the two trucks.
                          Mitsubishi truck lunges once toward Brand X.
                          Brand X immediately starts leaking fluid from under the engine, just like a little kid peeing his pants.
                          HaAAAH!!!

(The description above doesn't even come close to how funny the ad is to see. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being best, I give the ad a 14.)
                          I saw that commerical and I didn't think it was that funny.
                          backwoodlessons2

Comment

One Mitsubishi truck and one Brand X truck meet out in the desert.

I thot the sound was mini-me being thrown, and the mesage is other trucks spring a leak in their cooling sytem when they face another similar looking vehicle.

Comment

[...]
                              I haven't seen it yet but it'll be interesting to see if it makes the AICP/MoMA best commercials show for 2005 in the humor category. Hawaii gets that show during HIFF every year. I saw the 2004 best commercial show last night; the majority I'd never seen before. The HP digital photo campaign was the big winner. I think we've all seen those. Great spots!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                                The HP digital photo campaign was the big winner. I think we've all seen those. Great spots!
                                stunned when i see them. and would love to know how they do it...

Comment

Working...
                                X