Weather updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weather updates

I awoke to lightning in the middle of the night but no thunder, iirc. Did have both around 7 this morning. Rain, too.

Comment

Town got a particularly spectacular canon blast around 7pm, one of many highlites from a great show storm. I was at the harbor as the spouts appeared but managed to not see them.
      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 3, 2011, 05:37 PM.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Yes, waterspout, Tutu. (Two of them, actually, right off Honolulu harbor.) When they touch land they become tornadoes..
        Matapule had a waterspout go through his village of Falevai on the island of Kapa in the district of Vava'u in 1968. It went through about 50 yards from matapule's fale. Matapule and uaifi heard it coming, but couldn't see it because it was dark outside about 6:30pm. It was louder than standing next to a freight train. Matapule had to put his 250 pounds against the door to prevent it from being blown open. Rain was being driven through the woven coconut fronds of the walls. We had no idea of what was happening to us. Fortunately, it didn't last long and then complete silence and only light drizzle. We went up into the village with a flashlight but could see nothing. Uaifi, who had nursing and first aid training was at the ready. Some of the villagers were shouting, but there was nothing for any of us to do in the dark. The next morning we found that everyone was safe and there was only minor damage to property.

It was an interesting experience, one that matapule would not want to repeat.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Massive thunderstorm and heavy rain here. Thunder and lightning all night long, but especially heavy right now. Radar shows more coming.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thunder here in Waimanalo for the last several hours (Fri 7:30am). This is the first full test of the Thundershirt that we got our dog for $36 from Amazon. It's just a snug jacket. It keeps some dogs from getting anxious from thunder or firecrackers. It clearly works for our dog, though not perfectly. The dog is still pretty scared, but not trembling violently or dashing around in a panic, as on previous similar occasions. Judging from the Amazon reviews, sometimes it works and sometimes not, no one quite knows why.
            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
              Judging from the Amazon reviews, sometimes it works and sometimes not, no one quite knows why.
              Interesting! My granddog (RIP) was like that with thunder and firecrackers. Did you see the movie, Temple Grandin, about the woman who was autistic and designed a shoot for cows that calmed them down before slaughter? Evidently something about being confined is very calming. Research is underway to see how that principle can be applied to humans with psychological disorders.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                [...]Research is underway to see how that principle can be applied to humans with psychological disorders.
                My 12 year old nephew is highly special needs. Once agitated, for whatever reason, it's interesting to see how he calms down when someone hugs him closely. There appears to be a grounding effect.

And, yes, Mother Nature is doin' her dance on town side, too.

Comment

This is the first full test of the Thundershirt that we got our dog for $36 from Amazon. It's just a snug jacket. It keeps some dogs from getting anxious from thunder or firecrackers. It clearly works for our dog, though not perfectly.
                  Was that you who called KSSK radio a few hours ago and talked about the Thundershirt? The guy who called loved it. He was calling in response to someone else who called about their dog being scared.

Currently in Kaneohe there's light rain and almost no wind. I had to drive to Ewa Beach this morning and it poured and thundered all the way there and back. A gazillion waterfalls on the Koolau, going across H-3. There was a giant one just a few feet away from Stairway To Heaven. Hope there were no climbers!

Comment

Was that you who called KSSK radio a few hours ago and talked about the Thundershirt?
                    Not me. [Filler to make message long enough ...]
                    Greg

Comment

Thanks, Greg. So you're not alone in liking that dog shirt!

The sky was clearing here the last couple of hours and even a tiny bit of blue sky out over the ocean to the northeast. So I just ran to Safeway to get a couple of things and when I walked out of the store it's pouring hard again and lots of thunder. Zero wind. Sheesh!!!
                      We had about a dozen mini power outages early this morning and apparently more while I was town side. One of the surges blew out the power input on my 42" Sony Bravio flatscreen, so a repairman is on the way with some parts; probably about $150 to fix it. Think I'll seek reimbursement from HECO.

Comment

Ain't it great when the storm let's up just enuf to spend an hour rounding up some lunch only to have it come right back as you're sitting down to eat?!
                        I wonder how many others had that luck today?

Man, I'd love to be able to see the waterfalls!
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

We had about a dozen mini power outages early this morning and apparently more while I was town side.
                          At least a dozen mini outages here. No harm, though. I have 5 uninterruptible power supplies scattered through the house, so I just hear them beep in complaint. A few years ago, I lost some expensive equipment by power surges, and decided, never again. I wish UPSs wouldn't beep though, when power goes out -- it serves no useful purpose.
                          Greg

Comment

Not me.
                            Greg, Greg, Greg...I am the last one that should talk about english grammar, but it is "not I." I did not call, not ME did not call.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                              Greg, Greg, Greg...I am the last one that should talk about english grammar, but it is "not I." I did not call, not ME did not call.
                              It would have been wrong of me to say "Me did not call", which is not acceptable English. But that's not what I said -- I just said "Not me." Now, it's up to you to explain why, since one cannot say "Me did not call", it follows that one should not be able to say "Not me". What's the principle?
                              Greg

Comment

What's the principle?
                                You put your answer in the context of a complete sentence, that is the principle. You don't say, "it was not me", you say, "it was not I"...in the context of "I was not it"....not "ME was not it." It is basic grammar, which even matapule understands.

Comment

Working...
                                X