Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Long commute for you westsiders who take H-1. ouch, ouch, ouch!

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br17p.html
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: Crane crunches Aiea pedestrian overpass

Originally posted by lavagal
    Long commute for you westsiders who take H-1. ouch, ouch, ouch!

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br17p.html
    Thanks for the heads up! I was able to provide the better half with the news before he headed home. It's going to take a while regardless but at least he's forewarned.

Comment

Holy freakin' moly, that's crazy. I couldn't believe the news when I heard it on the radio. I'm typing this from Yummy's Korean BBQ in Moanalua, and it turns out that each of the three other customers in the restaurant only stopped in because of the traffic! I'm sooooooo glad I live in town.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

My wife and our son are stuck in this mess as I type. She left work in Mapunapuna at 3pm and an hour and 45 minutes later she's made it to Stadium Mall. I'm in Kakaako and the news is that the Ewa bound lanes will be closed until "Wednesday"...when? Who knows?

Comment

So if the military is responsible for this...and they have to pay for it...
          Doesn't that mean we all pay for it in the end w/ our tax dollars!

Comment

I guess I'm off to the bar for a while!
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Like Fat Jeff, I'm in the thick of this mess.

Left Chinatown at 4:30 p.m. By the time we reached the start of H-1 past Sand Island, the H-1 viaduct was just starting to back up onto the asphalt.

It's 6:20 p.m., and we're at Peltier St. Almost an hour just to get from Lagoon Dr. to here, maybe four lights down Nimitz. We sat in place, in park, for seven light cycles. Drivers are turning off their engines. An ambulance that got stuck behind us actually turned off its siren and lights and made a U-turn.

For a while, a UPS truck turning up into the military housing got stuck across all lanes (because of a stopped bus). This blocked Ewa-bound left turners trying to get to the airport business district, which soon blocked up town-bound left turners a block behind us, which...

Madness. This is basically how well things will go when an emergency evacuation is called, I tell you.

Comment

I feel for you PZ...Hope you left with a full tank of gas.

However, if we ever do have a real emergency evacuation ... I bet it's compounded twice what it is now!

Comment

At 7 p.m., we're coming up on Camp Catlin Road and the old "Plaza Hotel Plaza Hotel Plaza." We've watched several buses empty as folks bail en masse and start walking (and they'll get to Aiea before we do, I reckon). At this rate. we'll reach Pearlridge at 9 p.m.!

Kids at home are fed and heading upstairs to bathe, then it's bedtime. Now my hope is to get home to Mililani before my wife goes to sleep!

Why did I leave my iPod radio adapter at home today, of all days? Ugh.

Though, I do have a DVD player in my MacBook and a new box of "LOST" DVDs...

At least there's still HPR and BBC News. Congratulations to Japan's Princess Kiko on the birth of a son!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    At 7 p.m., we're coming up on Camp Catlin Road and the old "Plaza Hotel Plaza Hotel Plaza."
                    If you need a break, come have some coffee with me at the Moanalua Center Starbucks. I'm buying.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Heh. Now there's an idea... thanks for the offer, Scrivener.

I don't suspect things will "clear" for hours, though, so any break just delays my return to a home cooked (but reheated) dinner and a comfy couch. And maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment and want to see just how badly this all turns out!

Besides, even if I decided to come by, I'm still at least half an hour away. Heck... I still haven't passed the aforementioned Plaza Hotel (now Best Western)!

Comment

How are you guys on the road getting an Internet connection? Are you using your cell phones as modems, or something?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          Besides, even if I decided to come by, I'm still at least half an hour away. Heck... I still haven't passed the aforementioned Plaza Hotel (now Best Western)!
                          I'm a wimp...I'm sitting in my brother's condo downtown. He's out of town, I have a key, and my wife is still on the road (since 3pm this afternoon). Who knows what tomorrow will bring, so I'll be staying the night at Chez Bro. My Mother in Law is probably going to her sister's house in St. Louis. Looks like at least this Ewa Beach ohana is spending the night in town.

I wonder if when they tear down the mauka half of that bridge they will discover that the makai half needs to come down (closing the town bound lanes tomorrow morning?!?!?!). I know my wife (who starts work at 6:30 am) is making araingements to work at home tomorrow. I absolutely have to be in town early to open our business. No excuses.

This really gives all of us some food for thought...imagine if an emergency was in effect. The H1 may be a bigger risk to our safety and economy than we ever imagined. Maybe it's time for some radical moves like the tunnel from the Ewa Plain?

Reactionary Jeff? Maybe, but all I know for sure is that my family won't have me at home tonight and that bothers me.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                            How are you guys on the road getting an Internet connection? Are you using your cell phones as modems, or something?
                            I think Pzarq has a Treo or Blackberry or Razr or something. We know he's a gadget guy.

Best wishes to all you poor folk stuck in it.
                            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

He's probably got all 3 plus some! Men and their toys!

The phone I saw him with at the HT picnic looked like a palm computer!

I was like....ooooooh ahhhhh!!! Wowww... I want one!

Comment

Working...
                              X