Paranormal Activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paranormal Activity

Watched the movie Paranormal Activity at the Ward Theater this evening.

It is about a engaged couple living in San Diego who are visited by an invisible entity when they are sleeping. One member of the couple sets up a digital video camera to record the events when they are sleeping. All of the movie is shown from this camera's point of view. There are times when this movie is boring but it is offset by its "things that go bump in the night" mode which happens in the later part of the movie.

Re: Paranormal Activity

Sounds like an interesting show. Haven't seen it yet, I'd better check it out.

Lately shows on paranormal are getting more realistic and less sensational - hope this continues that trend.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

This 'movie' was made for 15 Gs and has grossed well over 40 mil in it's 1st week.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

This sounds like the movie version of the Scyfy series Ghost Hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          This sounds like the movie version of the Scyfy series Ghost Hunters.
          Except that there's no ghosts in the movie. Not a single one.

Of course, there's something much more diabolical and terrifying. What that is... you'll have to see the film.

If you enjoyed the first Blair Witch Project, then you'll love this flick. As Ron pointed out, the film was made on a shoestring budget. No CGI. No SPFX. No elaborate make-up. And Paranormal Activity is all the better for it. Definitely a psychological horror. The scariest things in the movie are what you don't see.

OTOH, if you're the type of moviegoer who needs to see blood, gore, and violence in order to get your goosebumps, then don't bother with this. Just as Blair Witch didn't appeal to everyone, so too will Paranormal not be appreciated by those who expect a slasher flick. Save your money and go watch Halloween II instead. But to those of you with a powerful sense of imagination, then Paranormal Activity is highly recommended.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Why is it that everytime in these reality shows (Ghost Hunters) when a person is frightened, the cameraman points the camera at the scared host, blinding him with the camera lights...instead of pointing at the supposed entity? And why doesn't the scared host tell the cameraman, "OVER THERE STUPID DON'T POINT IT AT ME...OVER THERE!!!" And by then the entity is gone.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

This movie is not slasher film, almost no gore, 4 characters and 1 spider (which provides one of the movie's humorous scenes). There is very little shaking camera movement scenes, most of the time the camera is mounted on a tripod.

I think this movie is best seen in the presence of a lot of people since it is the audience's reaction that makes this movie worthwhile to see.
              Last edited by helen; November 8, 2009, 10:44 AM. Reason: corrected a word

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                This movie is not slasher film, almost no gore, 4 characters and 1 spider (which provides one of the movie's humorous scenes). There is very little shaking camera movement scenes, most of the time the camera is mounted on a tripod.

I think this movie is best seen in the presence of a lot of people since it is the audenice's reaction that makes this movie worthwhile to see.
                Like Rocky Horror Picture Show?

My kids want to see Paranormal Activity. I'll wait until it comes out at Kress Cinema for a buck.

Comment

As to all of sudden singing a song, no, it is nothing like that. It is more like laughing at the funny scenes, making oooh, ahhs and grasp like sounds when the things happen like the bedroom door moves or a shadow like presences being shown on the bedroom door, or stuff moving on the bed.

If the kids want to go you should go with them too. It is not the best movie I ever seen, nor it is the worst.

Comment

eric and i saw this movie today. we had the pleasure of seeing it in an empty theater. both eric and i are blessed with "vision," you might say, plus we are very close friends with people who do psychic readings & site cleansings for a living. therefore, neither one of us found the paranormal aspects of the film any more realistic than we would find supposedly spooky, more sanguinary cinematic fare.

for us, the film's tension is anchored upon the relationship between the boyfriend and girlfriend. the fact that the only setting is the couple's home heightens this tension. certainly, there were scenes where we wanted to throw popcorn at the screen in annoyance because of what happens within the relationship.

everyone should know that horror movies--the good ones, at least--act as cautionary tales. eric and i would say the cautionary tale here centers on what grave consequences may result when you react poorly to your loved one's being deeply troubled by something outside the relationship itself.

that said, most people who are completely unfamiliar with otherworldly experiences in real life will probably find paranormal activity quite heebs-inducing.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      No CGI. No SPFX.
                      from an interview with the stars of the movie:

Micah: Every single thing that’s happening on camera in the entire movie, except for one thing, is actually happening. It’s not CGI, it’s not trickery. Oren is just that good.
                      regarding a certain startling event at the end of the movie:

Micah: [laughs] I’ll just tell you it was tricky, and Oren has a couple of holes in his ceiling.

Katie: He does. He has a drafty ceiling now.
                      having just seen the movie, eric and i are pretty sure there is use of CGI. micah sloat does not exactly say so, but i interpret the first quote as indicating there may have been.

also, given that the writer-director "has a couple holes in his ceiling," we can assume that mechanical special effects were used.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

As to all of sudden singing a song, no, it is nothing like that. It is more like laughing at the funny scenes, making oooh, ahhs and grasp like sounds when the things happen like the bedroom door moves or a shadow like presences being shown on the bedroom door, or stuff moving on the bed.

If the kids want to go you should go with them too. It is not the best movie I ever seen, nor it is the worst.
                        What is it rated?

Comment

According to IMDb it is rated R due to the language, which now that I think about it is mostly said by the main female character (Katie is her name).

Comment

According to IMDb it is rated R due to the language, which now that I think about it is mostly said by the main female character (Katie is her name).
                            No Sh*t!!!?

Comment

mr. watanabe, given what you've said in the past about your relationship with your wife & kids, i will guess that the thing that will stay with you about this movie (should you choose to see it) will have nothing to do with any paranormal activity. i'd dare say the dominant emotion this movie will inspire for you would be frustration and irritation.

Comment

Working...
                              X