View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Kanaka

Talking Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 6

Hi Guys and Gals:

I thought I would just post something here. I always wonder why the postings here are about fast food and junk food --- not criticizing, but just asking. I don't see many postings about real, cooked, hearty meals.

So here is what I made this weekend. For dinner on Saturday, I made a whole roasted shoulder of pork, with the skin still on the top. I seasoned it well, scored the skin on the top, and roasted in the oven skin side up. And I made sure that the last hour was on higher heat to make the skin crispy. For the last 40 minutes, I added red potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery (I like my roasted veggies "al dente", I don't like squooshie veggies). So the meal was roasted pork with roasted veggies.

I made scratch gravy with the drippings and cooked a little bit of rice for my daughter who has to have rice with gravy.

I made a salad to go with the meal -- romaine, cherry tomatoes, red onion slivers, a little bit of cucumber, and some garbanzo beans (I love garbanzo beans!!). I also made homemade Caesar salad dressing.

Opened a bottle of nice red wine and we had a great dinner. Had some rolls too, but nobody ate any of them.

For Sunday (late lunch actually), I made stuff for eating while watching the NFL football games. I made homemade salsa, sour cream, avocado slices, grilled Spanish onions, grilled Portabello mushrooms, grilled Jalapeno peppers (hot, but so good) and a whole bunch of grilled thin-sliced, boneless chuck steaks. I seasoned the chuck steaks with garlic power, pepper, Hawaiian salt, and Mexican chili mix. Then I cut up the meat into thin slices and we had (essentially) Carne Asada tacos with a whole lot of other stuff --- chips, dips, dark beer, and a cheese and cracker tray.

Tonight for MNF, I will make something simpler for dinner -- cold tofu with ginger/shoyu, musubis, spam musubis, fried salmon bellies, and maybe some natto and some ikura.