Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters - Book 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters - Book 4

I know there were threads in the past discussing "Hawaii TV news anchors and reporters." I just wanted to start a new one, since this topic hasn't been refreshed in such a long time.

I noticed a few things within the last month (Dec 2010) and this month (Jan 2011) so far...

Hawaii News Now
    -Weekend anchor/reporter Mari-Ela David quit. Because of that, Lisa Kubota is her replacement. And then Ramsay Wharton came back for Sunrise: Early Edition! =)
    -Grace Lee left for KPIX-TV in San Fran. Tannya Joaquin took her spot on Sunrise. I think that's a reasonable move for her because she used to anchor mornings on KHON2.
    -Duane Shimogawa was removed from the hawaiinewsnow.com team bio page. And don't see him on TV anymore. What happened to him???
    -With Duane gone, is Mike Cherry the only core sports anchor/reporter for the station? Seriously? Though I saw Guy Hagi and even Russell Yamanoha (formerly of KHNL) anchoring sports on several occasions. Is Russell even considering to return to sports anchoring besides doing all those Cheap Eats reports? BTW, I miss Liz Chun.
    -Veteran news reporter Teri Okita joins Keahi Tucker on the 6:00pm and 6:30pm weeknight newscasts. Do you think this will influence ratings, especially on the 6pm?
    -According to the Raycom website, Hawaii News Now is looking to fill an anchor/reporter position on the 5:00pm and 5:30pm newscasts to fill the seat vacated by Tannya. Who will be the next news anchor? Anybody returning to Hawaii TV News?

KITV 4
    -New sports anchor on the weekends... though I think he may have been there for several months now.

KHON2
    -KHON2 is looking to hire a traffic reporter weekday mornings (saw it on khon2.com).
    Last edited by bcr1652; January 15, 2011, 01:25 PM.

Re: Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post
    [...]
    -Weekend anchor/reporter Mari-Ela David quit. (does anybody know why?)[...]
    She got married and moved to the BI. See post #155.

Comment

Re: Hawaii TV News Anchors and Reporters - Book 4

Moderator's Note: Since this is the 4th in a series of "news anchors and reporters" this thread is now officially "Book 4" of the series.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

My newscaster interest is limited to wondering what is Joe Moore's salary.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

DOT spokesperson Tammi (sp?) Mori returning to Channel 2 to do traffic reports on the morning news - she left there in 2008 to work for the state.

Comment

DOTspokesperson position won't stay empty - Dan M from KITV taking the job as soon as Mori departs:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/busine...o_the_DOT.html

Comment

Separate thread started on Shawn Ching's return to TV - at HawaiiNewsNow.

Comment

Does anyone know what happened to Kirk Mattews? I notice he's been missing from KHON's morning show.

Comment

Likely on vacation, since ratings just ended and the next round doesn't start until late April. I'm sure Erika would have headlined if he were out 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                    My newscaster interest is limited to wondering what is Joe Moore's salary.
                    You can spot Joe Moore's April Fools Day joke a mile away on the KHON newscast.

Comment

Bumped....

Keoki Kerr jumps ship from KITV to Hawaii News Now... announcement made tonight on Hawaii News Now.

Keoki Kerr to join Hawaii News Now

http://t.co/aTOymRwM

Long-time investigative reporter Keoki Kerr will be joining Hawaii News Now on Jan. 16.

Kerr, who has worked for KITV4 for the past 21 years, brings a wealth of investigative and enterprise experience to Hawaii News Now. He has also covered politics, government and law enforcement.

"I look forward to joining the team at Hawaii News Now and uncovering great stories with them," Kerr said. "I am thrilled at the opportunity to continuing my passion for investigative reporting."

News Director Mark Platte said Kerr will be an invaluable addition to the staff.

"We are ecstatic to have someone of Keoki's skills to join our talented Hawaii News Now team," Platte said. "He is the premier investigative journalist in Hawaii."
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

My first thought was how that could happen with the standard non-compete clause in his contract. But Erika Engle points out that his contract had expired and not been renewed.
                        Non-compete clauses usually address a period of time after the contract ends, so his contract must've expired quite some time ago.
                        KITV loses; Hawaii News Now wins.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

KITV also lost Denby Fawcett and Darryl Huff.

In my humble opinion, Huff was a huge loss for KITV.

Now Kerr.

Comment

Joe Moore can't do his April Fool's Day joke today on the newscast.

Comment

It's been briefly discussed under the Cecilio Rodrigues thread, but does anyone know more about the circumstances of Taizo Braden's departure from Hawaii News Now?

Comment

Working...
                              X