Wal-Mart: Chapter 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wal-Mart: Chapter 3

The State and Hui Malama have settled a suit to assign "ownership" of the 'iwi at the WM Keeaumoku site. According to the terms of the settlement, the "...state's historic preservation division will not say remains aren't affected by new developments, such as Wal-Mart, just because the property was previously developed..."

What impact this has on future unearthings in the downtown core remains to be seen, but the agreement will save both sides plenty kala at least in the case of the Keeaumoku bones.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Well, WalMart Keeaumoku has been around for a year now, and looks like it is a bonafide success. The same is probably not so true of the Sam's Club upstairs. So far I don't think WalMart has negatively impacted surrounding small businesses, most of which are supported by the somewhat large resident Korean community.

I walk by the area in the early evening and all of the little restaurants on both sides of the street are doing very well. Only 1 Okazuya place closed and I think a jewelry place closed since WalMart opened last year.

The Iwi is still an issue I presume, but I think there is a nice grassy area on the corner of Makaloa and Sheridan street that I think is for those remains once the court dust settles. I can picture a burial site similar to the one in Waikiki for those long departed souls.

Meanwhile work will soon begin on a new Nordstroms near Ala Moana Shopping Center.
      Last edited by mel; October 16, 2005, 05:06 PM.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        I can't imagine anything very much different from the WalMarts anywhere, so I wouldn't be impressed by the hoopla at all.

The differences in news reporting from one daily rag to another is the reason why you cannot rely on one newspaper for your information gathering. In my Political Science class at the UH our professor said, "The government that controls the media, controls the people". In our case, our news media biases the facts that we must base our opinions on so it's best to get your information from more than one source.

To some Hawaiians it seems this particular WalMart is a good thing. To others, well we know about that. As for the blessing, I don't think that'll work because I've been to workplace blessings in Kakaako and the hauntings continued. That was at the Gas Company's Kakaako location. I got some ghost stories and have witnessed some of them first hand.

We've had several blessings over the 22 years I worked there and none have worked. We even had one worker die after chopping down a kukui nut tree on the corner without asking permission from the tree! Two kahuna's tried to rid him of the spirits that had made him sick enough to be admitted to Queen's Hospital, both of them ran out of his room in a panic, real spooky stuff. He eventually died with no apparent cause of death.

The stories go on and I've been there to witness them too.

I wonder what stories will come up with this new WalMart store.
        So much for the power of prayer, I guess.

Comment

Walmart "rewards" its employees by altering their time cards so the overtime they worked doesn't show up on the records. They have done this many times over the years to many of their employees all over the country.

Now, workers in Hawai'i are complaining that their pay has been cut through this devious practice, too.

"Thousands of residents who worked at Wal-Mart stores in the islands between 1997 and 2004 might have been unpaid for hours -- or even days -- of work and overtime as part of a systematic practice of "time shaving" aimed at keeping payroll costs down, a class-action lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court alleges...."

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; November 3, 2005, 07:16 AM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Any news on the walmart in Pearl City? Will it be a supercenter?

When will it open?
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

BEIJING - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is bidding about $1 billion for a chain of 100 hypermarkets in China in a deal that could vault it ahead of competitors to become the country's biggest food and department store network, reports said Tuesday.
              http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061017/...wal_mart_china

Can you say Wallnese?

Wal-Mart truly is trying to dominate the world it appears!

And just think of the Minimal amount of pay it would have to pay it's workers over there!

Comment

Coming soon to some WalMarts: a "metrosexual" look and feel! Organic food! Designer clothes! $2,000 plasma TV sets! Upscale buildings! Same exploitation of workers.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061017/...wal_mart_china

Can you say Wallnese?

Wal-Mart truly is trying to dominate the world it appears!

And just think of the Minimal amount of pay it would have to pay it's workers over there!
                  Hey Home Depot just opened up a store in China. I'm wondering how the Chinese factory workers will feel knowing the products they make will end up on Home Depot shelves and at what price?
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Hey Home Depot just opened up a store in China. I'm wondering how the Chinese factory workers will feel knowing the products they make will end up on Home Depot shelves and at what price?
                    That's ironically humorous, in kind of a perverted way: they get paid pennies per hour for the stuff they make which they can buy back for the equivalent of several hours of toiling to produce the stuff they buy! Of course, the WalMart workers in China do have a union, unlike the WalMarts in this counrty (forced upon WM by the Chinese government as a condition for doing business there). Wonder if the Home Depot workers will be able to join a union too?

Miulang

Comment

• Re: Wal-Mart: Chapter 3

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      Probably no different than when they pick up a pair of Nikes or buy Ikea furniture. Plus, the price there will probably reflect market prices there.

Comment

Anyone has any news on the potential Walmart in Kapolei? I know that the Kunia location will stay open because of management offices there, and the Pearl City location just opened, so no use in closing that down.

But my big question is... Why is there so much walmarts on this side of the island? Sure, I can transfer to the Kunia location once I get in my few months, but I can't see the logic in how Walmart opened its first store in Mililani, then expanded to Kunia then later in Pearl City (Keeamoku I understand).

(disclaimer: the above comment is from adrian, not walmart. Any comments made by adrian about walmart stores will be of his own comments, and never by walmart stores)
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

http://khon2.com/2014/07/09/crowds-g...olulu-opening/

From way downtown!

Comment

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/20...-tear-for-hum/

The people you meet at Walmart.

Comment

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/hot-s...144630347.html

But, will they run out of the good sales items after the first day?

Comment

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...s-wont-say-why

Save money, live better.

Comment

Working...
                                X