Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Downtime Announcements

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that it was unavailable for a chunk of time today, but I finally figured out that my contacting you wouldn't help - that when it gets that bad, you're already working on it.

See? I can be trained.
    IIRC, every time any one of us gets the error message that indicates HT's server is down, Ryan receives an email. Poor Ryan!

Comment

HT offers a FREE website for us, without ads popping up all over the screen. We really have no right to complain when the service has occasional problems. I might be disappointed when I cannot connect to HT, but for sure I'm not "mad" at the HT admin. I'm actually very appreciative of all the work that goes into keeping HT up and running. So, here is my "thanks"!!
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Yes, I agree - thanks and appreciation for the work involved!
        Speak to the heart and the man becomes instantly virtuous. Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
          If you find the unreliability of HawaiiThreads.com to be too much to remain an active participate, I understand, and I'm sorry to see you go. For everyone else, thanks, again, for your patience.
          If anyone feels that way, Ryan, the rest of us will be glad to see them go.
          HT is not THAT unreliable, and most of us understand: "It ain't YOUR fault!"
          I wish I had a business I could advertize, to help the financial end....
          I understand that personal contributions have a political 'twist,' an most would be no help anyway, but....

There's lots of us that can make 'anonymous contributions' or something.
          Make sure we have your mailing address....

We wouldn't trade you for.... anyone!
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            HT offers a FREE website for us, without ads popping up all over the screen... I'm actually very appreciative of all the work that goes into keeping HT up and running. So, here is my "thanks"!!
            And my thanks, as well!

As some of the others have mentioned, perhaps you could implement a vehicle for us to make voluntary contributions to support HT... perhaps using PayPal or something similar?

If not, Kaonohi's suggestion of "anonymous contributions" could work:
            *contributions in small, unmarked bills can be sent to P.O. Box #...*

My own contribution would be quite modest, but hey... the Obama model certainly shows that grass roots support can grow into something substantial!
            To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
              And my thanks, as well!

As some of the others have mentioned, perhaps you could implement a vehicle for us to make voluntary contributions to support HT... perhaps using PayPal or something similar?
              I don't mind voluntarily contributing to other sites that I use, for their upkeep. And when I get so much enjoyment from this Ohana, and the Admin works so hard to keep on top of things, shoots, .... a no-brainer...

Set a Paypal up for the contributions, as long as our Uncle Sam can stay out of it, eh? I'm on board. If it's anonymous, then no one feels pressured. This site, and our Admin, is awesome and worth it.

Comment

Your generosity is humbling and greatly appreciated. If you want to buy an ad on the site, we can talk. Outright donations are just too fuzzy and potentially complicated to track, and frankly, if you wanted to donate, I'd name a dozen great local charities I'd rather see that money go toward!

Really, though, a giant pile of money wouldn't have fixed what went wrong earlier this week, as one example. Whether intentionally or by accident, there are some server loads that no one besides Google or Microsoft can easily bear. If someone wants to shut this forum down, or simultaneously try to index 15,000 pages of text and photos at once, we're toast.

To get to the level of service reliability to withstand all but a nuclear attack would be beyond almost any online community's fundraising ability. And as I noted, as I've tweaked and adjusted, the machine that hosts HawaiiThreads.com and my other sites is usually allocated three times what it normally sees on an average day. 95 percent of the time, it should be humming along beautifully.

We won't ever hit "five nines," but I'd settle for 99% uptime. We'll get there, I promise.

Comment

Woo-hoo! Back in business --- Ryan musta made the bots leggo again!

Comment

Another week, another aggressive bot. This one from Russia! Blocking IPs, please stand by.

Comment

All I want to say Ryan is you have got the patience of a Saint and you are well appreciated for the work you do for us.

Comment

Thanks!

Skynet must be working overtime ...

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                          This one from Russia! Blocking IPs
                          Gorbachev, Tear down this blocking wall!

Comment

Re: Kudos 'bout it!

Just wanted to share my appreciation for the effort put forth of our friend Ryan.
                            Thanks Buddy!
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X