X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Favorite Local TV Ads!

Originally posted by melorama
    You're gonna love this...today I was at the office of the person who produced the old "Harry and Myra" Bank of Hawaii ads, and we watched his BetaSP archive reel of all those commercials...all 42 of them!

That is really cool those ads were great!!

That's a great idea to put together a DVD compilation of old Hawaii commercials. That would be a huge moneymaker. Although I imagine that getting all the rights-clearances for something like that would be an immense nightmare. But it's at least technically possible, since the archives exist for most of these commercials in the closets of dozens of production people throughout the state.
    What I need to do first is jot down all of the ads I have and then type them up here and see if anyone remembers these ads. I'm serious about this project
    if someone wants to help work with me on this to get it jump-started let me know. Is it as simple as calling all of the ad agencies or companies and getting clearences and going from there? Wouldn't they have a right to make money off of this?

Or should I just open up a booth at the Hawaii Collectors show with a TV showing the old ads and sell copies from there? I do not want to get in trouble for this.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
      if someone wants to help work with me on this to get it jump-started let me know.
      whaddya need. give us a list.

Comment

Or should I just open up a booth at the Hawaii Collectors show with a TV showing the old ads and sell copies from there?
        that's what we did with the Hawaii wrestler's dvd!
        but that's just a start.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          Why!?

all ya need to do is get a signed release from the owner of the commercial, the one who paid to get da buggah produced:
          the actors have been paid for all rights use.
          as well as everyone down the line.
          For the most part (those are 4 key words!) the actors have not been paid as a buy-out. Only extras are paid that way. Actors are paid according to usage...one rate for broadcast, add'l for print, add'l for web...yada, yada, yada. Also, a project could've been signatory to the Screen Actors Guild commercial contract. The contract limits usage. I can't imagine, in the DVD situation, that SAG would agree to the DVD without payment to the actors. For non-union projects it would depend what the original talent contracts stated. For the last 10 years, +/-, talent is paid for a one year usage. If the advertiser wants to reuse the spot for another year the actor gets another payment that equals what s/he received for the initial day rate. In addition to the advertiser, the ad agency most likely would have to sign off on the DVD as they were responsible for the concept. An analogy would be songwriters and royalties.

Kalihiboy, it's a fun idea but you'd really need to do your homework!

That said, if the DVD is released...I'll buy one!

Comment

tutu, you sayin... THIS applies to EVERY and ALL stuff done here? ALL commercials?

i still bow down to yer kahunahood in this respect... girl- fuh-reyunduh!

Comment

The Star-Bulletin reports that the Hawaii Advertising Federation gave out its individual awards at an event last night, and that the "finalists in the four Pele Award categories for best television commercial were shown. Winners will be announced at the Pele Awards ceremony April 1."

Anyone know what those finalists were? If it was shown to 200 people in an industry dedicated to spreading the word, certainly they can't be secret!

Comment

tutu, you sayin... THIS applies to EVERY and ALL stuff done here? ALL commercials?

i still bow down to yer kahunahood in this respect... girl- fuh-reyunduh!
                Welllllllll...that's why I prefaced my reply with "For the most part..."! I'll hazard a guess that the super low budget spots that use friends and family on camera aren't much of a problem, talent-wise. However, spots such as Bankoh's could probably be a problem...as could local McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and a lot more.

Talent aside, I doubt someone could make money on a DVD full of commercials that others spent a lot of time and money creating and producing without getting permission. And, who knows...it might be easy! Now...I have no experience in this area because it hasn't been done locally but the Screen Actors Guild commercial contract could (not would) require additional payment to the actors. It's just something to be aware of and not overlooked.

There's a series of "Classic Commercials" videos on the market. I have no idea how those came to be. But it shows that compilation videos are possible.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  The Star-Bulletin reports that the Hawaii Advertising Federation gave out its individual awards at an event last night, and that the "finalists in the four Pele Award categories for best television commercial were shown. Winners will be announced at the Pele Awards ceremony April 1."

Anyone know what those finalists were? If it was shown to 200 people in an industry dedicated to spreading the word, certainly they can't be secret!
                  I was 'sposed to attend yesterday but couldn't because of work. My good friend, Kim, was named Advertising Woman of the Year. Yay Kimmy!!!! Anyhooooo...I could probably find out the finalists but I'd rather be surprised at the event. Kinda like finding out the sex of a baby before it's born!

I'm disappointed that there seems to be a new tradition of handing out those awards at a separate ceremony. I liked it when it was a part of the Pele Awards...which it was until this year. And a luncheon, to boot, right in the middle of a work day during busy season. Whatta disappointment to not be in attendance to cheer Kim on and give her a few loud raspberries! We're such a classy group!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    There's a series of "Classic Commercials" videos on the market. I have no idea how those came to be. But it shows that compilation videos are possible.
                    40s to the 60's dist. claims they are public domain... hmmmm...

Comment

40s to the 60's dist. claims they are public domain... hmmmm...
                      After I replied above I briefly wondered about a statute of limitations or a public domain situation. Then work interrupted my curiosity! Researching that kind of info would fall under "homework" for Kalihiboy.

Comment

Man, the world can't get much smaller. Met a guy at lunch who just happens to be a "marketing fanboy." The Pele finalists from the big dinner are below.

For Tutusue, I'll spoiler it for folks who don't want to ruin the surprise.

Finalists - Budget < $10,000:
                        • "Seed" for First Insurance (CP Advertising)
                        • "Identity" for First Insurance (CP Advertising)
                        • "You Old Bag" for HMSA [Online Video]
                        • "UH Legends – Yuval" for Burger King (Harris Agency)
                        • "UH Legends – Monico" for Burger King (Harris Agency)
                        Finalists - Budgets $10-25,000:
                        • "Car Wash" for Hawaii Dental Association (Element 8)
                        • "Jaws" for Hawaii Dental Association (Element 8)
                        • "Fifi" for HMSA [Online Video]
                        • "Trash Can" for Board of Water Supply (Laird Christianson)
                        • "Severance Pay" for KFC Hawaii (Harris Agency)
                        • "Campfire" for Honolulu Symphony (Shooters)
                        Finalists - Budgets > $25,000:
                        • "Remote TV" for AIG Hawaii (Hendrix Miyasaki Shin)
                        • "Present" for AIG Hawaii (Hendrix Miyasaki Shin)
                        • "Accident" for State Farm Insurance (Milici Valenti Ng Pack)
                        • "Hawaiian Telecom Brand Launch" (Milici Valenti Ng Pack)
                        • "Pig" for State Farm Insurance (Milici Valenti Ng Pack)
                        Retail:
                        • "Nice Gig" for MidWeek (Harris Agency)
                        • "Ipod Multi" for Central Pacific Bank (Hendrix Miyasaki Shin)
                        • "Car Guys" for McDonalds of Hawaii (Milici Valenti Ng Pack)
                        • "Test Drive" for McDonalds of Hawaii (Milici Valenti Ng Pack)
                        • "Fashion" for Whalers Village (Ostrander Chu)
                        • "Office" for Body Mint (Vertigo Projects)
                        For those who look, one company's ads are actually available online. I should search to see if any other local ads - Pele finalists or not - are online as well.
                        Last edited by pzarquon; February 24, 2006, 02:43 PM.

Comment

My question is how in the world would SAG be able to find some of these actors that appeared in these locally produced ads. If they appeared only once then I doubt they are SAG members anymore. Some of this footage is 25 plus years old I have, I know it would be neat for an actor to see themselves again in an ad but I think finding them to let them know they could have a piece of the pie will be very hard.

I also have old newscasts with Bob Sevey, Les Keiter and Joe Moore!

KalihiBoy

Comment

My question is how in the world would SAG be able to find some of these actors that appeared in these locally produced ads. If they appeared only once then I doubt they are SAG members anymore. Some of this footage is 25 plus years old I have, I know it would be neat for an actor to see themselves again in an ad but I think finding them to let them know they could have a piece of the pie will be very hard.

I also have old newscasts with Bob Sevey, Les Keiter and Joe Moore!

KalihiBoy
                            If someone appeared only once I doubt they ever joined SAG. However, they are on record forever with the SAG office via a Taft-Hartley.

Finding talent, even a year after they shot a commercial when they're due another payment, is a problem. SAG, talent agents and non-union companies have stacks of checks that have been returned because people don't think to inform the union or their agents about a change of address. Many people lose their SAG memberships because of this; they never receive the bill for their dues, don't think to pay it and end up terminated. With SAG jobs I'm pretty sure you'd at least need to make contact with the office to find out what the process is for what you want to do. But first, if I were in your shoes, I think I'd try to find out if there is, in fact, a statute of limitations or, what Kimo mentioned, a public domain situation. I wish I had some details for you but I don't.

And, just for the record and for the sake of this discussion, I'm talking principals, not extras!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              Man, the world can't get much smaller. Met a guy at lunch who just happens to be a "marketing fanboy." The Pele finalists from the big dinner are below.

For Tutusue, I'll spoiler it for folks who don't want to ruin the surprise.
                              [...]
                              For those who look, one company's ads are actually available online. I should search to see if any other local ads - Pele finalists or not - are online as well.
                              Ah jeez...didya really think I could resist effortlessly clicking a button to satisfy my curiosity? Must admit I'm happy about many of them and, as usual, scratching my head over others! Regardless, one of my 2 all time favorite casting projects made the list.

I'm not privvy to what's negotiated (or not negotiated, as the case may be!) in the <10k category because those jobs are usually cast in house. But the >10k categories usually have a talent rate breakdown that includes a separate payment for web use. I'll be interested to know if you find any others online!

Ok, I give. What's a marketing fanboy?!

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                                About that Lost themed KFC ad. I arrived home kind of late tonight around 7:40 pm, turned on the TV, tune in to KITV and started to get my dinner ready. I saw the commerical thinking it was a Lost episode, the girl playing Shannon was dead on (pardon the pun), the Hurley character was okay up until the knife hit the tree next to his head, then I knew something was up.
                                A late follow-up to this thread and the KFC "LOST" ad. I noticed someone uploaded it -- with full clearances and permissions I'm sure (cough cough) -- to YouTube. So, if you haven't seen it (or aren't in Hawaii and couldn't have), you can see it online... or at least a grainy, blurry, Flash-compressed facimile.

Comment

Working...
                                X