Hurricane fund being hijacked by Abercrombie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hurricane fund being hijacked by Abercrombie

On further reflection - wouldn't it have made more sense to create a bill to take funds from the tobacco settlement fund, rather than the hurricane relief fund?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      On further reflection - wouldn't it have made more sense to create a bill to take funds from the tobacco settlement fund, rather than the hurricane relief fund?
      I cannot find ... it is like a maze .... where to get info on how the tobacco settlement fund is spent. But I think the legislature already does take a large portion for "other" uses.

I agree with you in the concept of is it wise to take money from the hurricane relief fund if other sources are there?

And for thought for the legislature and governor: Should the state work harder on "balancing the budget" through how it spends money, rather than draining funds that are in place for other purposes?
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

The previous administration left behind a big hole called a huge deficit. I think the current administration is trying to plug that hole in whatever way they can. The state constitution requires a balanced budget. Raiding the different funds is often how that balancing takes place, especially in circumstances like the present. The revenue projections that the previous adminstration relied on were revised downward.

Legislators work for US. We elect them and we need to stay on top of them so that they listen to their constituents. Without community input, they really don't know what they are doing. I'm very fortunate in that my Rep is very approachable and actually listens to her district. Our responsibility as members of the community is to communicate our thoughts and wishes to them so that they can take appropriate action. Voter apathy affects so much more than just the numbers on election day.

So, instead of complaining or questioning here on HT - pick up the phone & call your representatives. or send an email. Anything - just participate.

Lets face it - many of us on HT have very strong opinions and we argue a lot. We also come up with some good ideas.

But...........I don't really think our politicians are reading any of this.
        Last edited by anapuni808; June 4, 2011, 03:22 PM.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

So, instead of complaining or questioning here on HT - pick up the phone & call your representatives. or send an email. Anything - just participate.
          Again we agree. Being involved is why I give testimony, contact my legislator, vote, AND QUESTION.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I don't own a home but I'm sure this factors into the amount of rent I pay each month. How much of your insurance premium goes into this fund?

My understanding was that the majority of the funds were contributed by the insurance cos. themselves and also from recording fees. My understanding is that individual homeowners can buy their own policies but this fund covers everyone, privately insured or not.

Where do the insurers get a great deal of their money? Premium income, of course! From us homeowners, landlords included.

The speed at which the hurricane fund is to be depleted is astonishing.

Comment

anden Schatz has the gall to remind us to be prepared for Hurricane Season. So this is the progressive democrats eh? Dan where are you!
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
              X