Box jellyfish/Portuguese man-of-war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box jellyfish/Portuguese man-of-war

A recent thread about beaches on Oahu leads to a mention of Portuguese man-of-war which they and the Box jellyfish tend to wash up on south Oahu shores 10 days after a full moon (which was last night). Granted it took a while for someone to figure out that they do (washing up on shore) this every 28 or 29 days but has anyone figured out where they hang out the other days?

Also has any other island experience this as well? I don't remember anything like this has happened on Kauai when I was growing up in the 1970's.

Re: Box jellyfish/Portuguese man-of-war

Originally posted by helen
    A recent thread about beaches on Oahu leads to a mention of Portuguese man-of-war which they and the Box jellyfish tend to wash up on south Oahu shores 10 days after a full moon (which was last night).
    I'm 99.999% sure that it's only box jellies which do that, and not PMOW's. PMOW's are driven solely by the wind, which is why they're mostly seen on our windward shores.
    Box jellies don't like bright sunlight, so the when they're here each month they're close to the beach nearest sunrise and sunset, and during midday hours they head to deeper water.
    It was a Waikiki lifeguard, as I recall, who figured out their monthly pattern. The area seems to be increasing, too. Used to be just Hanauma Bay to Pokai Bay, but for the past year or so they've also started monthly appearances on the north shore.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Since this post is pretty old, I would like to ask, have the sighting of Box Jellyfish increased?

As far as I know, the Box Jellyfish are very dangerous and I am assuming this has been causing some stir up when they are found.

Comment

I could be wrong on this, but I think the box jellies you are thinking of are showing up in Australia. These are a different variety than in HI. Not that the ones that show up here don't sting, but they aren't deadly like the ones in Australia. And some people are more susceptable to the sting of any jellyfish than others.

There are also some micro-organisms that show up occasionaly that you should be aware of - especially if you have an open wound. I believe they carry (?) the vibro bacteria similar to the sea urchins. I don't know if anyone has noticed a pattern with that. Does anyone else know?

Comment

Box jellyfish are not to be taken lightly. They pose the same dangers as the ones at Australia. They DO sting and can cause some prety serious health conditions.

Irukandji jellies are even more nasty, but stick mainly to the north west waters of Australia.
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
            Box jellyfish are not to be taken lightly. They pose the same dangers as the ones at Australia.
            Actually, no they don't. AcousticLady was right in saying that our BJ are indeed different than the ones in Australia. The only chance of a fatality here would be the extremely rare case of an individual having a specific allergic reaction.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

hhh, I got ya. I see now where they are refering to the type box jelly I was thinking of as a sea wasp. Thanks for the info!

Either way, I don't want a run in with any of 'em!
              flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

I hates jellyfish from my days bodysurfing. Came up twice on the same man-o-war and got blasted on my face and neck. Someone had to drive me to Kahuku Hospital for treatment. I don't think I'm allergic to the toxin, but got stung bad enough that the pain caused some distress. My cheek, under my eye, turned greenish black and hard enough to tap my finger nail on and I had welts all around my neck and upper chest which took weeks to clear up.

Whenever we go to the beach, I always pack along Adoph's Meat Tenderizer or a small bottle of vinegar and a bottle of a liquid antihistimine.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                  I hates jellyfish from my days bodysurfing. Came up twice on the same man-o-war and got blasted on my face and neck. Someone had to drive me to Kahuku Hospital for treatment. I don't think I'm allergic to the toxin, but got stung bad enough that the pain caused some distress. My cheek, under my eye, turned greenish black and hard enough to tap my finger nail on and I had welts all around my neck and upper chest which took weeks to clear up.

Whenever we go to the beach, I always pack along Adoph's Meat Tenderizer or a small bottle of vinegar and a bottle of a liquid antihistimine.
                  OUch! The ones I hate are sea urchins. Smacked the back of my hand into one once. Got spines embedded in my knuckles. I used Adolph's on it right away and didn't hurt. But man, did I get sick from it about a week or so later. Had to go on antibiotics - which for me is a big deal. Then my finger swelled so bad I had to have my rings cut off. Apparently there was still some of the vibro bacteria (learned a lot about sea urchins however) in my knuckle that got released into my system which was already weak from the first go around. Anyway, you get the idea - I hate sea urchins!

Comment

Actually the weird thing is last week I met someone that just moved from Hawaii and she said they used to catch one of the jellyfish and keep them in a bottle on their desk to show people what they look like.

She said they sting but are harmless - one less worry on my mind now.

Comment

One last note..

Surfing + Sharks + Adoph's Meat Tenderizer = horror thoughts of tempting sharks.

Comment

Maybe we can eat our way out of this growing problem: http://www.deependdining.com/2007/03...e-time-pb.html
                        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/...feguards-busy/

It must be jellyfish because jamfish don't sting like that.

Comment

Jellyfish sting over 150 off Oahu; teen taken to hospital (staradvertiser.com)

Sting that hurts.

Comment

Working...
                            X