• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Originally posted by Miulang
    Hey Arturo:
    That Longs Drugs is in Lynnwood (3815 196th SW, Lynnwood, WA 98036
    In the Alderwood Village Shopping Center...Mailing Center avail.
    Store Phone: 425-775-8400).

You can also get Zippy chili and other local kind grines at Uwajimaya (for sure in the Seattle store down in the International District, dunno about the Bellevue store) or at Central Market (up on Aurora Ave in Shoreline). Uwajimaya is like Shirokiya on steroids. . There's an Aloha Plates take out place in the Uwajimaya food court, too.

There's an L&L near the Lynnwood Longs Drug too (in the strip mall that's on the corner of 196th sW and Highway 99 that has the Safeway Market in it...19709 Highway 99 North, Suite F&G
    Lynnwood, WA 98036 Phone: (425) 771-7629).

You like fresh poke? Lei's Family Restaurant in Duvall (out to the East of Bothell) has fresh poke on weekends and the best mac salad I've found in this area.

There's a really good Indian buffet in Redmond (not too far from the main campus of Microsoft) called Kanishka that a lot of Bill's employees eat at. Good selection of food there and relatively inexpensive.

Let me know if you need info on more places to shop/eat. I've tried most of the larger local grind kine places in the Greater Seattle area.

Miulang
    Awesome! That should be plenty for now. But I now know who to go to for local grinds! Thanks!
    Arturo

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      I go to Walgreens for convenience (there's one right down the street and seems to be one about every other block in my neighborhood, and some are open 24x7) but for real "shopping" I always make a trek to my local Longs.
      I wish I could convince myself to go to Walgreen's more often (the downtown Seattle one is half-a-block from my office), as my daughter is an employee (in the Midwest) --- but frankly, it can be a scary place sometimes (crowded narrow aisles, messed-up shelves, the charming downtown clientele), so I go to the regional Bartell's chain instead.
      I haven't been in one of the area's Longs for quite a while, either.

Comment

But sentimentality and loyalty goes only so far. And sometimes I translate the CHARLESTON code on Longs' price tags, and it's enough to get me across the lot to WalMart again. [/COLOR]

how do you interpret that code on their stickers? I know it tells you their cost...anyone help?
        Last edited by gfunk91; June 14, 2006, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk91
          But sentimentality and loyalty goes only so far. And sometimes I translate the CHARLESTON code on Longs' price tags, and it's enough to get me across the lot to WalMart again. [/COLOR]

how do you interpret that code on their stickers? I know it tells you their cost...anyone help?
          Each letter represents a number starting with 1. So 'C' is '1' and 'H' is '2' and so forth (and 'N' is '0'). So if the sticker shows CEO then the price would be $1.69. And this "price" is "cost + 10%" meaning whatever it costs for Longs to purchase the product plus 10%. It also represents the price of the product for employees.
          Arturo

Comment

I rememeber the CHARLSTON code from back in my hana buddah days when even at six candy bars for 23-cents was a lot after translating the code on the Longs price sticker.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

As a long time Walgreens Pharmacist and a local girl raised in Manoa Valle, transplanted to Washington, I would love to move home and stay with my parent company. One of the things that I can tell you is that we consistantly get transfers from the Longs here in Federal Way because of the lack of customer service. Customer service is a huge deal in the Walgreens corp. I think that Longs will always hold the people in Hawai'i just because they've always been there. But is doing something the same way forever just because "it's always been that way" make sense everytime? Besides, a little competition in the "smaller" drug store arena may force Longs to lower thier prices and to clean up thier attitudes in some stores. That makes it a win-win situation for all. Longs gets to keep/gain customers and everyone wins by getting lower prices and better customer service. Just my two cents anyway.....gotta go iron my lab coat and go to work......Mahalo

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                I rememeber the CHARLSTON code from back in my hana buddah days when even at six candy bars for 23-cents was a lot after translating the code on the Longs price sticker.
                my 2 cents.

cent #1. Walgreens doesnt use charlston, but im not at liberty to disclose their true code.

cent #2. Walgreens will flourish because of mainland tourists. No longer will they have worry about getting their drugs before they leave. Walgreens can transfer your prescription instantly to any other Walgreens (except controlled substances that have been transferred once already).

Also, not being from Hawaii, does Longs accept insurance? Not only commercial insurance, but tricare and medicaid as well?

Comment

Aloha! De-lurking here, have been reading the threads here, would like to join the convo!

It looks like Walgreens have purchased the real estate of the former Tower Records locations. I'm sharing a recent posting over at the Tower Records thread, as someone beat me to it; Walgreens is coming to Hawaii.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...1&postcount=89

Comment

Originally posted by azrakos View Post
                    my 2 cents.

cent #1. Walgreens doesnt use charlston, but im not at liberty to disclose their true code.

cent #2. Walgreens will flourish because of mainland tourists. No longer will they have worry about getting their drugs before they leave. Walgreens can transfer your prescription instantly to any other Walgreens (except controlled substances that have been transferred once already).

Also, not being from Hawaii, does Longs accept insurance? Not only commercial insurance, but tricare and medicaid as well?

yes they do...is there a reason you would think that they didn't?

Comment

So will Walgreens just use the present buildings on Keeaumoku St. for their new store or will they tear them down and redevelop the property. It would be good sense for them to maybe also acquire the KFC property if they plan to build something new. Parking for Tower Records Keeaumoku has always been limited. Perhaps Walgreens like Tower may depend on the foot traffic coming and going from Ala Moana Center.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Walgreens seems to be more of the "neighborhood" drug store...

The place where you walk to go get your prescription. I think with all the apartments and condo's in the area it's a good location and I don't think they will need much parking.

Have you seen the Walgreens in Downtown Vegas? I don't think there is a single stall!

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h View Post
                          Each letter represents a number starting with 1. So 'C' is '1' and 'H' is '2' and so forth (and 'N' is '0'). So if the sticker shows CEO then the price would be $1.69. And this "price" is "cost + 10%" meaning whatever it costs for Longs to purchase the product plus 10%. It also represents the price of the product for employees.
                          Arturo
                          X also represents repeat. I dont recall it being cost+10, I used to put the cost of the item. Markup of most items used to be 25%. This was enough to be competitive, but I guess with giant box stores like walmart its harder to be competitive, since Longs buys alot of its items from local vendors.
                          (If you dont have a retail background, this means that walmart buys in massive quantities or makes things and ships to all its stores while buying from a local vendor means that youre buying from middlemen)
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                            Walgreens seems to be more of the "neighborhood" drug store...
                            There is no hotel or housing for at least a bock. There is some housing on the other side of Wal-mart, but not much. I don't think there's any sustainable levels of housing until you get at least 3 blocks away. On the other hand, Wal-mart is across the street and Longs is in the shopping center.

I just don't see this location as being all that good for them.

Comment

What do you mean? There's like residential condos a block away behind First Hawaiian Bank and such. I think they will do fine, especially if they have late nite hours for people who need to hit a pharmacy. As for parking, guess they could build a multi level structure to increase parking. I don't see them using the existing structure because it's too small, not to mention Tower Records and Video were in two separate buildings. My only question would be is if they bought out KFC or have worked out a deal to co-develop the plot so they both can increase their parking.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                                There is no hotel or housing for at least a bock. There is some housing on the other side of Wal-mart, but not much. I don't think there's any sustainable levels of housing until you get at least 3 blocks away. On the other hand, Wal-mart is across the street and Longs is in the shopping center.

I just don't see this location as being all that good for them.
                                Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                                What do you mean? There's like residential condos a block away behind First Hawaiian Bank and such. I think they will do fine, especially if they have late nite hours for people who need to hit a pharmacy.
                                i live in makiki, and let me tell you, i don't go to either long's at AMC or walmart for pharmaceutical needs at all. AMC long's is too crowded and if you unwisely drop your prescription off at the counter, you usually have to wait an hour or maybe two for it to be filled. walmart always has this tense vibe about it (prolly bcs of the pissed off iwi in the trailer) so i don't go there unless it has something long's doesn't have or walmart's price is waaaay cheaper. besides, walmart's shelves are poorly stocked and a good quarter of the time. they don't have the specific shampoo, soap, razor, or facial care product i want so what do i end up doing? i drive to long's moiliili.

soooo...a walgreen's on that corner will be something i'd welcome. i'd say that many of the other 29,699 odd of my neighbors who also live in makiki would likely agree.
                                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                                X