Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Downtime Announcements

We're back. I think. Whew.

So. As noted above, we'd been struggling with server load. HawaiiThreads, as well as the many other domains I manage, were starting to bog down (both for all of us, as well as hundreds of other sites hosted on the same machine). In the past week, I've upgraded twice to improve capacity and performance. First from an old machine to a newer one, and then from that newer one to a "virtual private server" (which has strictly segregated resources and fewer tenants overall).

That last move, the big move, was supposed to take an hour. And it started 30 hours ago.

Part of it, no doubt, was my fault, given that I'd configured many of my sites years and years ago, before I knew what I was doing, with bizarre dependencies and user permission quirks I'd long forgotten. Meanwhile, my webhost was -- and still is? -- having severe problems with a DNS DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack that is rendering its machines unreachable. Chances are, they were more distracted by that than anything.

In any case, I sincerely apologize for this extended outage. It was supposed to be so quick, the downtime would be indistinguishable from some of the outages we've seen lately. I was finally investing the money to give HawaiiThreads.com and its siblings a better home, and in the end, it took things down longer than they'd ever been down.

Thanks for your patience. The upside of all this is, hopefully, more reliable performance overall. At the very least, I'll have finer, direct control over everything. I'll still set a load limit that will require people to log in at peak times (i.e. limiting guests and search engine robots), but that may be slowly raised as well.

Comment

No apologies needed...Thanks for your diligent work!

Is there anything we could do to help?

Comment

I'm sure we're all sorry that you have to go through all that aggravation, Ryan. Just know that we also appreciate the heck out of it!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

...and thank you for the temporary link to another site, where you were able to explain the situation.

Comment

I just read the archives that I didn't get around to reading in order to get my HT fix. Threads with names of celebrities for the people section just reminded me of who passed away.

Comment

I never got the temporary link to the other site but thanks for all you are doing Ryan. It's much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                So. As noted above, we'd been struggling with server load. HawaiiThreads, as well as the many other domains I manage, were starting to bog down (both for all of us, as well as hundreds of other sites hosted on the same machine).
                Hmmm, that means it's becoming popular - and that's a good thing, right? <hope>

Part of it, no doubt, was my fault, given that I'd configured many of my sites years and years ago, before I knew what I was doing, with bizarre dependencies and user permission quirks I'd long forgotten.
                I empathize. It's one of the perversities of computers - you need the experience up front when you set things up so you know how to do them right, securely and not create traps for yourself. But of course you don't get that experience until you've been doing it awhile.

Meanwhile, my webhost was -- and still is? -- having severe problems with a DNS DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack that is rendering its machines unreachable.
                For the non-techie, you're just collateral damage in a digital war zone. Not much you can do about it expect find a zone that doesn't have a war going on.

In any case, I sincerely apologize for this extended outage.
                No, Thank YOU!

Comment

Thanks for your good work and investments, admin!

Comment

Thanks for all the hard work you do! And I'm sure glad you're back!

Lovena
                    Lovena

Comment

Yes thanks sooooo much!
                      It really kinda amazes me how much I'm at a loss when I can't get a HT/GPSHawai'i fix.

Sometimes various things in life get in the way and I'll notice myself thinking,
                      I wonder what's going on in (this or that) thread? HaHa!
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                        I never got the temporary link to the other site
                        For a short while, Ryan was able to set it up so that you would be directed there when you tried to access HT; then HT was up and running again. It was a nice extra step on Ryan's part.

Comment

I'm getting a "500" error a lot on HT today ---

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@hawaiithreads.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Comment

Same as above

Comment

I got the message a couple of times yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                I got the message a couple of times yesterday.
                                Sends Admin some $'s to pay the rent Joking of course. He works hard to keep this forum in tip-top condition. I know that this is appreciated by everybody.

Comment

Working...
                                X