American Idol Continues.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Idol Continues.....

I imagine you can't bring a bunch of islanders together this time of year and not have the conversation turn to American Idol. Three Hawaii talents made it into the top 32 (see Jonah Moananu), with two making the final twelve: Camile Velasco and Jasmine Trias.

After some harsh words from the judges, we finally lost Camile last week, but even Trias was in the bottom three, inspiring some conspiracy theories. Now we're down to the final eight. Even I can't resist watching now. (Thank god for TiVo.)

How far will Jasmine go? And who should be sent home next?

Re: American Idol: Resistance is Futile

i admit i stop everything and watch..... i think jasmine did fine last night. at least, others did worse! i think john stevens has totally got to go (MANDY!?!), even george huff had a bad night.

i think diana degarmo and john stevens are defanately in the bottom three i just hope the third isn't jasmine!!! shes getting better every week which is more than some of the other guys can say...

Comment

Wow. I'm trying not to follow this show too closely, but I suppose like a train wreck it still sucks me in. And tonight was definitely a train wreck. I mean, I hope for the best for Jasmine, but I can't believe her "group" was the top three. It included John Stevens, after all.

More shocking were the singers who ended up in the bottom set: the two "divas," Jennifer Hudson and Fantasia Barrino, that some squawkers were predicting would face off as the final two.

I'd like to think Jasmine and every other contestant except John Stevens will get to be in the top five - since natural selection clearly requires he be the next to go - but as long as senior citizens and middle aged grandparents keep him in for his "he's so nice" quotient, I guess anything goes.

Comment

its top five tonight!

i dont know why they had those three great singers in the bottom three but it shure got everyones attention!!! i dont think its racism tho-just their so alike i think if you like their style your going to split up the votes. i know john has GOT to go. WHO IS VOTING FOR THAT GUY???

so....... who else cant wait for channel 2 and goes to the fox forums or the one at the advertiser to see what happened already?

Comment

My wife is mad at me for getting her into this show.

Here are the recaps from the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and the Honolulu Advertiser. I think being compared to elevator music has got to hurt, but really, no one made it out of last night's show without a scar or two. Simon's take on John was great: "You and Latin music go together like chocolate ice cream and an onion."

Tonight we'll see if reason finally returns to put John Stevens out of his misery. My wife, however, is convinced some great power is at work and that the red-headed crooner everyone loves to hate will actually win this thing!

Comment

wow wow wow!!!! the AI boards are down AND the advertiser site went down and i was totally going nuts wanting to know what happens tonight! i found all the news way after it was all over on yahoo..... and all i can say is........................

if you dont want to know stop here!! but if your crazy like me just press the button

GROUP A:
            Diana DiGarmo
            Fantasia Barrino
            LaToya London

GROUP B:
            George Huff
            Jasmine Trias
            John Stevens

Group A is safe. Group B is the "bottom three" tonight. One is let off the hook early, and it's:

Jasmine Trias!

So it's down to either George Huff or John Stevens. Not too much suspense, I hope. Who's going home? Ryan Seacrest says:

John Stevens!

hope this works or everyones going to be mad!!

Comment

so yea john stevens is gone, finally!!! hes such a little puppy dog face tho i think everyone felt bad for him anyway.... well see him in a diet pepsi ad or something pretty soon i think hes defanately going to be remembered!

with him gone i dont know who goes next. i like george so i say diana. but i think george, diana and our jasmine are all worried now!!! next week is BIG BAND NIGHT...... i wonder what songs jasmine will have to pick from since shes always singing slow stuff.

Comment

Being an old fut, I was thinking last evening about all this fuss over "American Idol" and wonder if the show (which I've never seen and will probably never see) any different from the old Ted Mack's "Original Amateur Hour" in the early days of television?

Comment

My wife, however, is convinced some great power is at work and that the red-headed crooner everyone loves to hate will actually win this thing!
                  I did my fair share of picking on J.S., but seriously; I feel really bad now. Yeah, he's a bit inexperienced, but he was such a good kid. I think, in a few years, after he's had some lessons and gained some perspective, he'll be more famous than Kelly (who?) or the creepy kid from last year.
                  Last edited by Kilinahe; April 30, 2004, 10:05 AM. Reason: add quote

Comment

American Idol Continues.....

Hawaii's own Jasmine Trias survived another week of American Idol to make it to the top 4 finalists. No matter where she ends up, Hawaii will have contributed to the national roster of up and coming recording stars via this very popular TV show. And as was pointed out in earlier discussions at the old Hawaii Radio & Television Guide Message Board site and elsewhere, American Idol has been nothing but a ratings success for both local affiliate KHON TV 2 and the Fox television network. This is the topic where you can continue to discuss all things relating to American Idol.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: American Idol Continues.....

The trick is not to guess how we individually would vote but instead to try to figure out the mindset of all the viewers.
                      The judges knock Jasmine and Diana for being too young, and Jas kinda reinforced that by wearing jeans for the Big Band show... oops. She's gotta move beyond just singing the songs and get into the spirit of each week's theme or she's gonna be gone.
                      LaToya has to lose her smug, superior attitude, and Fantasia has to stop scowling and looking mean (and stop with the helium voice); both of those attitudes affect the voters.
                      I still think Jasmine has the most 'appeal', though not the best voice... kind of a Brittney Spears thing. Jasmine is young and cute and has at least a good voice, so given the young age group of the voters those attributes could well carry her into the final two. You've gotta think "Which one of the four would teenagers go to see in concert, and whose CD would they buy, and who can they relate to the most as a role model?" and frankly, Jasmine is the choice, even with perhaps the weakest voice of the four.
                      The disco theme is going to be tough, especially for the younger ones, Jas and Diana. LaToya will pull it off like a pro, but being too pro might be her downfall (along with the diva attitude).
                      From here on out, song selection and presentation is absolutely critical.
                      Another aspect is where votes will go after the voter's favorite is gone. Who will get George's votes? Then who will get the votes from the next one off? Or, will those voters simply stop voting? Hmmmm...
                      My prediction:
                      Next week Jas and Diana will be in the bottom two, and Diana will go.
                      The following week, Jas and Fantasia at the bottom; Fantasia goes.
                      The final is Jasmine versus LaToya, and although I might disagree based on vocal skills alone, I think Jasmine might actually win it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

i dunno i get the feeling 'jazzy' is the next john stevens...... its like people need someone to hate and now its her. when she didnt get kicked off when it was her and george ppl were pissed!!!! im glad you think jasmine has a chance at the top...... but im afraid shell be the next to go.... even tho i think it should be diana!

Comment

Being far from home, American Idol is the one show I'll drop everything for, mainly because it takes me home, even if only for the few minutes that Jasmine is performing.

The advantage I see that the other ladies have over Jasmine is that they're all experienced in performing publicly. They know how to involve the audience in their performances, thus winning them over. Jas still seems unsure of how well she CAN sing, she doesn't show the same level of confidence the other girls do. As usual, I'll be glued to the television on Wednesday night rooting for her.

Send POI

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! i dont think i can watch tonite.....

http://forums.prospero.com/foxidol/messages

dont click if oyu dont want to know!

Comment

oooh, that was so painfull! it really really really really wasnt her night!!! and channel 2 started the show with a special plea from her begging for votes because it was going to be a tough week?!? when did they tape that? its like she jinxed herself! and she cried..... after everyone picked on camile for her tears it was still sad. of course now she might get the sympathy vote that john stevens had. who knows! lika might be right!

Comment

Working...
                              X