Michelle Wie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michelle Wie

She was leading the tournament today for a while, then ended the round in second place... at which time they informed her she had been disqualified for not signing her scorecard yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Something about how she had stepped in and then outside the marked area before she turned in her card.
    SHEESH.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Details from ESPN:http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3496673

Very unfortunate.

Comment

From KGMB9.com

Wie Disqualified After Great 3rd Round at LPGA State Farm Written by KGMB9 News - news@kgmb9.com
        July 19, 2008 11:07 AM

Punahou grad Michelle Wie looked to be in great shape after shooting a round of 5-under par during Saturday's Round 3 at the LPGA State Farm Classic. The 18-year-old had the outright lead for a period of time, before bogeying the 18th hole to fall into 2nd place.

However, after her round, she was informed that she was disqualified from the tournament because she failed to sign her score card after Friday's Round 2.
        I don't follow golf or sports all that closely, but then I was hoping Michelle would at least finish with good rounds given play of the last few days. Now to hear about not filling out a simple card.... how stupid can that be? How many tournaments has she been in?

I mean it would not be a big deal if she was in her usual 132nd place, but in the top 10 and at #2 yesterday and again today? Only to blow it on a simple technicality.

Sad indeed.

Does Michelle Wie have a coach or support staff to make sure these details are taken care of?
        Last edited by mel; July 19, 2008, 11:54 AM.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Too strange. After reading the thread (after I read the story re the forgotten card) I cannot begin to understand why this girl did what she did. Especially when she was doing well, and her tournament DEPENDED on her signing her scorecard. She was in the tent, (IN THE TENT, NOW) I would think for the direct purpose of signing said card.

It's difficult to find any sympathy for this. Am I missing some other reason?

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
            Too strange. After reading the thread (after I read the story re the forgotten card) I cannot begin to understand why this girl did what she did. Especially when she was doing well, and her tournament DEPENDED on her signing her scorecard. She was in the tent, (IN THE TENT, NOW) I would think for the direct purpose of signing said card.
            It's difficult to find any sympathy for this. Am I missing some other reason?
            Every parent of a teenager can understand what Michelle Wie is thinking (or not thinking) and why she makes the mistakes she's made...

I find it pathetic interesting that for some "unfortunate" reason the tournament directors just weren't able to discover what was happening in their own scoring tent until the second round had already gained a full house of free-spending customers started... I'd like to see your average tournament director wait until the end of the round to tell Tiger Woods or Fred Daly that they'd just wasted all that effort.

"Now, Fred, big fella, maybe you should just put the putter down... Fred? Hey!!"
            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Hey, XXit happens. It shouldn't have, but it did.
              I hate golf, but I would like to see MW succeed and she'll have to suck it up extra on this one and put it behind her.
              It's got to play on her mind, tho, after finally getting it going. What a drag!

Break and clear! Go girl!
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                I'd like to see your average tournament director wait until the end of the round to tell Tiger Woods or Fred Daly that they'd just wasted all that effort.
                I have to speak as an avid golfer as well as a rabid golf fan (these are not the same thing, btw.) I'm guessing you are not a fan yourself, as I'm pretty sure you're trying to refer to John Daly, rather than "Fred."

"Your average" tournament director would do exactly what this one did, and every professional tournament director would do. They're following the rules of their tour, and by extension, the USGA Rules of Golf. These rules are not, as any golfer will tell you, necessarily "fair" to any one golfer, however they are designed to ensure that there is a completely level playing field. In essence, that makes it "fair" to every golfer.

The LPGA officials (as opposed to the tournament staff - these are two separate entities) were not made aware of the violation until midway through her round, so no action could be taken until it was complete. You see, there's also a rule that allows the golfer to tell his/her side of the story before the committee makes its official ruling. It wouldn't be fair to Michelle to notify her mid-round that she'd have to account for her actions the day before - that would be a huge distraction, and what if after her interview she was then not disqualified? You may recall when she was DQ'd from another tournament a few years back. This again was only after she was given the opportunity to describe the situation before a penalty was levied.

Golf is funny in that it's the only sport that depends upon its own participants to call penalties upon themselves. It's a large part of what makes it a game of honor. Much as I'm disappointed for Michelle myself, I'm quite sure that she would be the first to say that she broke the rule and she should suffer the consequences. Again, it's not "fair," but it is fair.

As many of you know, this isn't even the most tragic example of a Hawaii golfer getting disqualified for a tournament over a "technicality." In 1957 Jackie Pung had apparently won the US Women's Open, but she was later DQ'd for signing an incorrect scorecard. Short write-up on it here.

Comment

She'll never make that mistake again. I swear, it is such a hard way to learn a lesson. She has to move on.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                    Some people have been so vicious when MW was playing poorly. Now that she's been doing well, they're NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!
                    *points to oceanpacific*

Found one.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I thought she made that mistake before. Then her caddy was fired after that. Someone may have more Michelle Wie knowledge.
                      just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

I can imagine what the fallout will be. Yet another Wie caddy will bite the dust.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Yeah! I was thinking this was a repeat offense too, and that her caddy will pay. But she has to accept the blame as well this time, and just focus on getting on with it.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Those tournament officials wouldn't DQ Happy Gilmore. He even had a fistfight with Bob Barker.

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
                              I have to speak as an avid golfer as well as a rabid golf fan (these are not the same thing, btw.) I'm guessing you are not a fan yourself, as I'm pretty sure you're trying to refer to John Daly, rather than "Fred."
                              Gosh, I guess using the wrong name does totally invalidate the point I was trying to make-- never mind.

It makes just as much sense as correlating a golfer's tournament performance with how far away they're allowed to get from their card before they sign it. But hey, if that rule is important to the sanctity of the sport then she'll learn to remember it. Or, inferring from some of the other comments, someone will remember to remind her to follow it...
                              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                                *points to oceanpacific*

Found one.
                                Of course they're coming out of the woodwork now that she's blundered again. This is her second DQ. The first time, she took relief WITHOUT consulting a rules official - she essentially signied an incorrect scorecard because it didn't include the penalty strokes she was later assessed.

Comment

Working...
                                X