HawaiiThreads Trivia Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game

Here are the questions for Day 19, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 22.

question 1
    category: food
    My friends rant and rave about a delectable hazelnut torte they get at their favorite dessert spot on Waialae Avenue. What's the name of the establishment and who is the talented chef who whips together that delicious dish?

question 2
    category: body
    On Thursday, I banged my elbow on a door (yes, I'm a klutz, but then I'm a teacher and I'm always hurrying from one classroom to another and can't always be bothered with doors that swing shut too quickly!). It was a bit sore, but the soreness didn't last more than a few minutes.

Then, on Monday morning, I woke up with some achiness in the same elbow. It got progressively worse through the day, and by 8:00 Monday evening, what looked like a sac the size of a small egg-yolk had formed on the elbow and it was semi-painful just moving my arm.

I saw a doctor who stuck a needle in the elbow in order to drain fluid, but there was very little (if any) fluid to be drained, which he said was good. He prescribed an antibiotic called Cephalexin and said I should be fine in a few days. What was his diagnosis?

question 3
    category: music
    What do drummers in Styx, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Hanoi Rocks, and Spinal Tap have in common?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 22.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      Mel, Kimo55, Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, and Moto correctly submitted Nehoa Street, Prospect Street, Iolani Avenue, School Street, and Middle Street as the names this bizarre roadway ticks off as you drive in the Ewa direction.
      This is several questions back, but I just wanted to say, this is probably one of the best "local trivia" questions I've come across in a long time. There's a lot of good stuff tied to nostalgia and the good ol' days, but something that highlights a notable island factoid that's still true today is even better. It got me to thinking about all the other streets that change names more than once... though I suppose that's a topic for Route 808.

I'm not playing, but I'm enjoying reading. Keep it up!

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 19: The Day of My Sore Elbow.

question 1
        My friends rant and rave about a delectable hazelnut torte they get at their favorite dessert spot on Waialae Avenue. What's the name of the establishment and who is the talented chef who whips together that delicious dish?

If you haven't made a little after-dinner stop at Cafe Laufer (right next to Big City Diner on Waialae), you must. Chef Cyrus Goo creates some amazing work, not the least of which is his hazelnut torte. He's a heck of a nice guy, too. Extra chocolate sauce goes to Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, and EastCoastTropics for putting the cherry on that one.

Oh, and don't forget to have some coffee while you're there. Chef Goo's pride and joy is this European coffee press that makes the most killer cup of joe I've had on this island. I believe he's become a servicer and distributor of the machine, too, so there should be other places on the island to get this great slurp.

question 2
        category: body
        On Thursday, I banged my elbow on a door (yes, I'm a klutz, but then I'm a teacher and I'm always hurrying from one classroom to another and can't always be bothered with doors that swing shut too quickly!). It was a bit sore, but the soreness didn't last more than a few minutes.

Then, on Monday morning, I woke up with some achiness in the same elbow. It got progressively worse through the day, and by 8:00 Monday evening, what looked like a sac the size of a small egg-yolk had formed on the elbow and it was semi-painful just moving my arm.

I saw a doctor who stuck a needle in the elbow in order to drain fluid, but there was very little (if any) fluid to be drained, which he said was good. He prescribed an antibiotic called Cephalexin and said I should be fine in a few days. What was his diagnosis?

Ouch. Bursitis of the elbow, which my doctor says is just plain bad luck. Sometimes you get it after a bang to the elbow and sometimes you don't. Surfingfarmboy and EastCoastTropics get a full point for elbowing their way through that diagnosis. ZZType gets a half for saying "infection."

question 3
        What do drummers in Styx, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Hanoi Rocks, and Spinal Tap have in common?

Styx's John Panozzo (liver), Led Zep's John Bonham (choking on own vomit after 40 shots of vodka in 4 hours), the Who's Keith Moon (overdose of prescription drugs), Hanoi Rocks's Razzle (accident in car driven by Motley Crue's intoxicated Vince Neil), and countless Spinal Tap drummers (see below) all died while still in their respective bands. Miniature Stonehenges to Surfingfarmboy, Moto, Kimo55, and ZZType for sticking that one.

Here are a few things some of you have had to say in the past few days.

Surfingfarmboy cracked me up with the prelude to his Cafe Laufer answer:
        This is sssssoooooo unfair! I am a marathon runner! The only time I ever eat any desserts is the time shortly after running a 26.2 miler, like the HNL Marathon. Even though I am a runner, am 5' 11" tall and weigh 130 pounds, and have every "right" to consume calorie laden sweets, I still have to keep my weight artificially low in order to complete marathons at a semi-decent pace. So as for desserts, I am clueless by reason. And, in the name of competion, this question is a darned good one..I like questions where #1) somebody has to have a little first-hand from experience knowledge about Hawaii or #2) questions that are essentially "equalizers"..nobody knows everything about everything, thus giving all competitors in this contest a sporting chance. For me, this question combines a bit of both traits for me.

So, with this in mind, I had to debate between 2 possible answers: The Cafe Laufer or JJ French Pastry, both great places for dessert on funky Waialae Ave. in Kaimuki.

Moto made my day with his summation of my whole reason for doing this every night: "Right or wrong, this is great stuff...."

Helen cleared up a mistaken impression I had about that Happy Days question yesterday: "There was a reunion special on Happy Days about a month ago. And while I was old enough to watch the original airing of Love American Style, the reunion special showed Harold Gould playing Howard Cunningham."

Creative answers to the drummer question: "Their drums were made by the same company" (Helen), and "They’re all men!" (EastCoastTropics).

Finally, from Everything2, a great rundown on the Spinal Tap drummers:
        • John "Stumpy" Pepys -- died in 1969 in a bizarre gardening accident.
        • Eric Childs -- died 1974, choking to death on someone else's vomit.
        • Peter "James" Bond -- spontaneously combusted on stage in 1977.
        • Mick Shrimpton, who replaced Bond, disappeared and is presumed dead, as his brother Ric replaced him in 1992 and interviews with Ric make reference to other Tap members saying "We're not sure we want to put your mum through this again." (Rip, June 1992). I can't find a cause of death stated anywhere, though.
        • In an interview on the Arsenio Hall Show in December 1992, David St. Hubbins referred to a drummer he did not name who had been accidentally packed with the band's equipment and never seen again. St. Hubbins also claimed then that the band had had 12 drummers.

Here are the current scores:

42.5: Surfingfarmboy
        39: ZZType
        33.5: EastCoastTropics
        22.25: Helen
        13.5: Mel
        13: Moto
        7: Linkmeister
        6: Kalei99, Kimo55
        5: Kilinahe
        3: LikaNui
        1: Glen Miyashiro

New questions, next post!
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 20, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 23.

question 1
          category: games
          In Texas Hold 'Em, if the large blind is a hundred bucks, what is the small blind?

question 2
          category: Hawaii
          For whom is Cartwright Field in Honolulu named, and what is historically significant about him or her?

question 3
          category: literature
          What local periodical holds a short-fiction contest every year and awards a thousand bucks to the winner?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 23.
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 20: Have we been doing it this long?

question 1
            category: games
            In Texas Hold 'Em, if the large blind is a hundred bucks, what is the small blind?

The "blinds" in Texas Hold 'Em are early bets placed by the first and second players to the left of the dealer before the cards are dealt. Generally, the large blind is twice the small blind, so if the large blind is a hundred bucks, the small blind is fifty. Pocket ladies to Surfingfarmboy, Moto, ZZType, and EastCoastTropics!

question 2
            For whom is Cartwright Field in Honolulu named, and what is historically significant about him or her?

Alexander Joy Cartwright is sort of the Johnny Appleseed of American baseball. He is generally credited with establishing the size and shape of baseball (90 feet between bases, three outs per inning, nine innings per game, that kinda thing). As he roamed west, he brought the game with him, establishing teams and leagues, as he did when he found himself in Hawaii. If you're wondering why Hawaii has such a long, colorful baseball tradition, here's your first clue. Cartwright is buried at Oahu Cemetary in Nuuanu. Dodger-Dogs and nachos to Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, EastCoastTropics, and Moto for not striking out on that one.

question 3
            What local periodical holds a short-fiction contest every year and awards a thousand bucks to the winner?

It's now co-sponsored by Starbucks Hawaii, who kicks in several hundred dollars' worth of Starbucks merchandise, but it has been known as the Honolulu Magazine Short Fiction Contest for a long time, which Helen, ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, EastCoastTropics, and Moto knew.

This is as good a place as any to say that I earned honorable mention in this year's contest, the winners of which will be announced in the April issue. I'm quite pleased. Next year, I'm shooting for show.

45.5: Surfingfarmboy
            42: ZZType
            36.5: EastCoastTropics
            23.25: Helen
            16: Moto
            13: Moto

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              Honolulu Magazine Short Fiction Contest.

This is as good a place as any to say that I earned honorable mention in this year's contest, the winners of which will be announced in the April issue. I'm quite pleased. Next year, I'm shooting for show.
              Seriously, congratulations! This is what I call a case of a teacher putting his money where his mouth is. You must be some kind of teacher. Best of luck for next year's shootout.
              Blaine
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 21, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 24.

question 1
                What is the name of the Molokai bakery where you can get delicious "hot bread" late at night when the bakery's supposed to be closed?

question 2
                What Japanese classic is considered by many to be the first novel ever written?

question 3
                category: religion
                According to a story in the New Testament of the Bible, who climbed a tree in order to get a better look at Jesus, and why was it something of a scandal when Jesus invited himself to lunch with this man?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 24.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm with ZZ on this. I'm going to have to get a copy of Honolulu Magazine..there is a newsstand about 5 miles from me that actually carries it here..so I can see your honorable mention. And when you finally do win the big prize...I can tell my freinds and ohana..."Yep...I know him personally!!"

Comment

Indeed! Congrats, Scrivener. Another good friend of mine (and a user here) got a similar accolade a few years back. It is a big deal! Do "honorable mentions" get their pieces printed? Posted online? If not, be sure to let us know how we can read it! If I get a Honolulu magazine, I want your autograph!

Comment

Aren't you folks members of HPR? You should get a free Honolulu Magazine subscription with your $50 annual membership.

And congratulations on the HM!
                      Last edited by Linkmeister; March 24, 2005, 07:12 AM. Reason: Add my congrats!
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Congrats, Scrivener!! Hope to be able to read it online!
                        Lovena

Comment

Thanks for all the congratulations! Appropriately, the honorable mentions don't get their stories printed--in fact, I think only the grand prize winner gets that, and that's a good thing, I think. It adds to the prestige. I won't be posting the story online, since with a little work it might be good enough to submit for publication elsewhere, but if you'll send me a private message containing your email address and the words "I promise not to distribute this story electronically without your permission," I'll send it along as an MS Word attachment (or an RTF attachment, if you prefer) around the end of the month.

Now, here are the answers for Day 21!
                          question 1
                          What is the name of the Molokai bakery where you can get delicious "hot bread" late at night when the bakery's supposed to be closed?

That would be Kanemitsu's. Oh, man, if you haven't tried hot bread, you really need to. Get it with cream cheese and jelly if you really want to be sinful; otherwise, butter and cinnamon's pretty good, too. Surfingfarmboy, Miulang, ZZType, EastCoastTropics, and Moto rose to the occasion and nailed that one. Additionally, there were a lot of interesting comments.

Surfingfarmboy: "I've been there, done that! I remember buying bread there late one night, "after hours", and the whole process of buying my single loaf of bread, with cream cheese and liliko'i butter slathered into the middle of the loaf, seemed almost as if I was partaking in an illicit transaction..kind of like buying a bottle of rum from a speakeasy in Chicago during the Prohibition era. Now mind you, this was a few years ago, before all the tour books and guides about Hawai'i "discovered" this late night tradition on Moloka'i. Nothing wrong with their discovery, but now days, I get the impression that one lining up for bread late night at Kanemitsu's now is just as likely to be in line with tourists from Houston as he/she would be with locals from Kaunakakai. Again, nothing wrong with that..it's just not the "locals only" event it seemed to be at one time. In any case, their bread is good..at least what I remember of it..and well worth the trip wherever one calls home on this unique planet we all share!"

Moto: "I remember when they had a shop in the Pearl Kai Food Court, used to be one of my favorite stops."

Miulang: "yummy long johns, too!"

Here's my memory of hot bread: I was in college in 1992 and doing a week of Vacation Bible Schools at Kaunakakai Baptist. On our first day, I asked the fifth- and sixth-graders what their favorite food was, and almost all of them said, "Hot bread." I acted like I knew what they were talking about. A few nights later, someone from the church took me and my team-mates downtown at about 10:30. We parked on the main drag and walked past Kanemitsu's. As we strolled past, cars parked nearby had their doors open, their stereos blasting and their teenaged owners draped over the open doors, not holding forty-ounce bottles of cheap malt liquor, but holding round loaves of bread, fresh out of the oven and slathered with various combinations of butter, cinnamon, cream cheese, and jelly. I recognized some of the teens from the night-time church activities we held for the older youth, and they gladly offered bites of their loaves so my friends and I could see what the big deal was. People on Molokai--they share whatever they've got, I tell ya.

So our guide led us around the building and down a little alley strewn with trash cans. She knocked on the door and we waited a few long minutes for a tall, thin guy with stringy hair to open the top-half of the door. "Yeah?" he asked, as if he had no idea what we were there for. We placed our order. The guy slammed the door shut. A few minutes later, he was back with our order, collecting four bucks from each of us. I could immediately see why it was everyone's favorite food. It'd be mine, too, if I had regular access to it!

question 2
                          What Japanese classic is considered by many to be the first novel ever written?

As a student of literature, I must say that Murasaki Shikibu's Genji Monogatari is not that great a story, and not a very good example of a novel, either, but then I consider the novel to be an American art form. Don't tell my literature professors. Banzais go to ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, and EastCoastTropics for their literary smarts.

question 3
                          category: religion
                          According to a story in the New Testament of the Bible, who climbed a tree in order to get a better look at Jesus, and why was it something of a scandal when Jesus invited himself to lunch with this man?

"Zaccheus was a wee little man, a wee little man was he. He climbed up in a sycamore tree for the Lord he wanted to see." As for the scandal part, Zaccheus was a tax-collector and therefore probably a total sleaze-ball, collecting what Caeser was supposed to get plus enough to line his own pockets. Observers thought it scandalous that Jesus would choose to associate with such a man, but those were lame observers. One of his own apostles, Matthew, was a tax-collector, so how this could surprise anyone is beyond me. Gold stars and extra Kool-Aid to ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, and EastCoastTropics. Half-points to Moto and Miulang for identifying Zaccheus but not the scandal.

48.5: Surfingfarmboy
                          45: ZZType
                          39.5: EastCoastTropics
                          23.25: Helen
                          18.5: Moto
                          1.5: Miulang

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 22, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 25.

Today: The All-Locals-in-Television Edition!
                            I was going to apologize for all the television questions, but what the heck. They're easy to come up with for some reason, and if I focused on the stuff I'm really passionate about (I'm not really that much of a TV watcher, believe it or not), this would get boring. Each day, the questions would be about rock and roll, baseball, and literature.

question 1
                            category: Korean Conflict
                            Which M*A*S*H regular is from Hawaii?

question 2
                            category: P.I. (not THAT P.I.!)
                            In the final episode of Magnum, P.I., who plays the minister at Rick's wedding?

question 3
                            category: Traffic
                            In several episodes of Hawaii Five-O, cars are seen tearing down the driveway of the police station and taking a right turn. As specifically as possible, why is this an odd sight?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 25.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 22: Too Much Television!
                              question 1
                              category: Korean Conflict
                              Which M*A*S*H regular is from Hawaii?

She cute, smart, witty, and sweet, and the only M*A*S*H nurse to have an extended run as a member of the cast. That HONOLULU sign on the signpost was hers: Kealani Kellye, usually referred to as Nurse Kellye, played by Kellye Nakahara, who is also from Hawaii. She's an artist in Los Angeles now, with her own gallery, and still makes the occasional M*A*S*H-related appearance. Two-day passes to Tokyo go to Surfingfarmboy, EastCoastTropics, ZZType, Kalei99, and Moto!

ZZType sends this link for those who want to find out which M*A*S*H character they are.

question 2
                              category: P.I. (not THAT P.I.!)
                              In the final episode of Magnum, P.I., who plays the minister at Rick's wedding?

Joe Moore, in a surprise part. Two days with the Ferrari for Surfingfarmboy, EastCoastTropics, ZZType, and Moto!

question 3
                              category: Traffic
                              In several episodes of Hawaii Five-O, cars are seen tearing down the driveway of the police station and taking a right turn. As specifically as possible, why is this an odd sight?

Iolani Palace played the role of the police station, and the street in question is King Street. As we all know, you can't make a right turn from Iolani Palace onto King Street. Well, you CAN, but I wouldn't recommend it--it's a one-way street in the other direction! Book 'em, Helen, ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, and EastCoastTropics! Supporting credit and a half-point to Moto for getting the reason right but the street wrong.

Here are the current scores!

51.5: Surfingfarmboy
                              48: ZZType
                              42.5: EastCoastTropics
                              24.25: Helen
                              21: Moto
                              7: Linkmeister, Kalei99
                              6: Kimo55
                              1.5: Miulang
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 23, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 26. Only six more days, after this set, left in the contest!

question 1
                                What class of instruments does the piano belong to?

question 2
                                In some countries, they're called shish-kebabs. In Japan, they're yakitori. What are skewers of meat called in Indonesia?

question 3
                                category: thrills
                                Which Disneyland ride is an indoor roller-coaster in the dark with cool laser-lights? Bonus question worth zero points: What rock album did I swear, when I rode this ride for the first time at age fifteen, I would bring with me the next time I was at the Magic Kingdom?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 26.
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X