This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Court rules against Kamehameha Schools admission policy

Postmortem reports from this morning's Advertiser. I especially like the comment from Robbie Alm, a haole living on Oahu, who said he never envied his Hawaiian friends who entered Kamehameha.

"I knew I had other options," he said.

"As a child, I had learned from my parents that we all get gifts in our lives but not always the same gifts.

"And you do not covet the gifts of others."

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Why does a non-hawaiian want to attend Kam anyway?

Hmm... why did a black student want to attend the University of Alabama?
      The KSBE trustees sound just like George Wallace.

What special privilage gives him the right to attend a Hawaiian school?

Uh... The U.S. Constitution? The 14th Amendment to that constitution, the Equal Rights Act of 1964, equality before the law?

What, Punahou not good for him?

Kam is cheaper than Punahou - anway, again there were plenty of black colleges, so why did some blacks demand admission to University of Alabama?

The decision in Rice vs. Cayetano opened up voting rights to ALL of Hawaii's citizens. The racist, segregationist, Jim Crow days are over - get used to it.
      Hawaii's apartheid days is numbered, thank goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by forextrader

Uh... The U.S. Constitution? The 14th Amendment to that constitution, the Equal Rights Act of 1964, equality before the law?

these are haole laws used to take away what little remains for and of kanaka maoli.
        never justifies the continual thievery.
        foreigners just gotta destroy everything.
        damn them.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          these are haole laws used to take away what little remains for and of kanaka maoli.
          never justifies the continual thievery.
          foreigners just gotta destroy everything.
          damn them.
          Uh, will the revolution be televised?

Comment

The racist, segregationist, Jim Crow days are over - get used to it.
            I bet you're haole, huh? Figures. So am I, and I wish I weren't, because this is the kind of crap that embarrasses me. I suggest you go back to whence you came if this is the kind of attitude you have.
            Last edited by Kilinahe; August 7, 2005, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy Tuesday
              Uh, will the revolution be televised?
              yea and i will be there to happily document it.

Comment

it does seem kinda racist to have only kanaka maoli enter kamehameha schools. but its sorta the same thing as , private catholic schools for catholics. or even the united negro college fund. [no offense to blacks , sorry if it comes off as racist]
                Ebb And Flow

Comment

the term 'racist' no longer has meaning, it is being misused, abused and misapplied to such a degree now. and ohmigawd, it's soooo politically incorrect to point it out.
                  the term has no place in the discussion of the Kamehameha schools current problem. It is being overused to justify the travesty.

Comment

• insurgencies against justUS

Why does a non-Hawaiian want to attend Kam anyway?
                    Attend kam what?
                    Kamera sessions on behalf of predatory corporate lawyering firms' principals in delusionary pursuits of making sure (and, "naturally", receiving $$ for perpetration of malicioUS law$uits**) that no remnants of organized, or otherwise significant, non-militant anti-justUSness exist within the borders of US's "states", territories, possessions and militarist occupations?

In the justUS crusade --now having been perpetrated for centuries in the Americas; for more than a century in the Pacific Basin and Eastern Asia; for closing in on a century in the Middle East; and, now gawd bless US, Central Asia is unfolding for justUS with seldom a shot being fired! !!if of course one excludes, the presently 'somewhat' disturbingUS insurgencies against justUS in Iraq and Afghanistan-- there is a zero tolerance for that which is not justUS.

In Goemans and Grants John Dough vs. Kamehameha Schools law$uit, win or lose for the attorneys, they could do, and do do, worse than if either one, or perhaps there is room for both, were to continue as agent$ for John Dough on the big payoff side of US celebrityhood: being a winner in Corporatist Idol, American Idol, Sports Idol, Idol justUS or whatever$. " Kamera! Ready?...!! ACTION

I heard George Wallace speak at the Houston Astrodome Convention Hall in 1968, and the only similarity in sound between the two entirely distinct ideological spheres is that each predominantly employs Americanized English to communicate in the public realm.

"What special privilage gives John Dough the right to attend a Hawaiian school?"
                    Privilege never extended by justUS to Hawaiians: suing for redress of wrongs, harm and irreparable damage.

" ...The 14th Amendment to US Constitution?... "
                    The U.S. Civil War victor's Reconstruction Amendment declared ratified in a proclamation by the Secretary of State, July 23, 1868 allegedly to facilitate the material and political enfrancisement of newly "liberated" slaves in the "The American Dream" of Caucasian, European imperialist/colonialist, capitalUSt "Americans".

" There were plenty of black colleges, so why did some blacks demand admission to University of Alabama?"
                    Alabama blacks paid taxes that enabled the University of Alabama to exist; they had a right to expect to attend the institution.

The decision in Rice vs. Cayetano opened up voting rights to ALL of Hawaii's citizens.
                    Office of Hawaiian Affairs is a justUS-sired offspring of US's State of Hawaii. OHA was among the last of the 'take it or leave it' ' governmental options' /dictates pressesd upon Hawaiians by the justUSness of the days and years subsequent the militarUSt, capitalUSt corporatUSt US tentacles enveloping the United States, Hawaii, indeed the World.

Hawaii's apartheid days is numbered
                    Yes, justUS cannot continue to oppress Hawaiians.
                    Last edited by waioli kai; August 7, 2005, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• Profiling=Preference

Profiling=Preference
                      kimo55: "the term 'racist' no longer has meaning, it is being misused, abused and misapplied to such a degree now. and ohmigawd, it's soooo politically incorrect to point it out.
                      the term has no place in the discussion of the Kamehameha schools current problem. It is being overused to justify the travesty."

The Department of Homeland Security and its myriad of branches of securUSty agents and their bosses repeat ad nauseum the mantra " Profiling is not racist." One can only conclude, therefore, that DHS and other US national security conscious federal and state departments operate under the presumption that their policy of preferencing (the flip side of "profiling") is not racist, does not violate civil rights, does not violate the U.S. Constitution. In other words, it is okay for U.S. law enforcement and security agents to give preferential treatment to fair skinned peoples in Chri$tian attire.
                      Last edited by waioli kai; August 7, 2005, 05:07 PM.

Comment

oh yea. that's related.

Comment

Why does a non-hawaiian want to attend Kam anyway?

Hmm... why did a black student want to attend the University of Alabama?

What, Punahou not good for him?

Kam is cheaper than Punahou - anway, again there were plenty of black colleges, so why did some blacks demand admission to University of Alabama?

The decision in Rice vs. Cayetano opened up voting rights to ALL of Hawaii's citizens. The racist, segregationist, Jim Crow days are over - get used to it.
                          Ya just don't get it, do you? It's NOT about racism; it's about nurturing a culture that was doomed to extinction and honoring the wishes of a Hawaiian Princess. Even the US government recognized in 1993 that a hundred years previously, in 1893, the sovereign kingdom of Hawai'i was wrongfully seized. In 1898, the last ruler of Hawai'i relinquished her crown and the sovereignty of the Kingdom of Hawai'i to America because she knew if she resisted, she would have been the cause of the extinction of the Hawaiian people. This is totally opposite popular AngloAmerican mores...Anglos will fight to take whatever they can by force; any casualties are called "collateral damage."

As for the KSBE cases, it's all about the money. Every parent wants the best education s/he can afford for his/her child, only some parents want to freeload off a school that was set up to assist children of Native Hawaiian heritage, to help preserve the culture that many touristas now enjoy when they visit Hawai'i. Would Hawai'i have the same appeal if there were no Hawaiians left to greet tourists with the flower leis? How can you say apartheid, when the kanaka maoli have had just about everything else that is their birthright taken away by the US government? A non-Hawaiian kid wants to attend Kamehameha School right now because s/he can get the same quality of education as s/he can from a Punahou--for about a tenth of the cost of Punahou.

IF push comes to shove, and KSBE is forced to enroll non-Hawaiian students over similarly qualified kanaka maoli students, that will create a quota system, which is clearly illegal under the civil rights laws in this country. The current admissions policies of KSBE say a preference is given to qualified Hawaiian students but not to the exclusion of non-Hawaiian students. What people who say "good riddance to a bad policy" seem to forget is that there are many, many deserving students of Hawaiian heritage who also are denied admission because there is simply no room in the school for them. Not for reasons of race: just the simple fact that there are more gifted students of Native Hawaiian heritage than the school can accommodate, let alone non-Hawaiian students.

As I said previously, perhaps the best thing to do, for the sake of harmony, is for KSBE to consider opening the school up to ANY qualified student. Announce publicly how many slots will be available for a certain class, and then choose the students to fill those slots based on the teachers' evaluation of the applicants' academic and moral character, as well as the references and personal interview. Then, award scholarships to the students who can prove they are of kanaka maoli heritage. Those who can't prove they are Hawaiian or part Hawaiian can still attend, if they are willing to shell out the $30k annually which is the true cost of a Kamehameha or Punahou or St. Louis or Iolani education. Then see how many non-Hawaiian parents complain that that's unfair. Sorry, KSBE is a private school that doesn't accept governmental funding. Private schools can have restricted scholarships. And these restricted scholarships are the legacy of a Hawaiian princess' will. No court would dare overturn a will, because that would jeopardize every single will that was ever written by anyone in the US.

You're also forgetting that the University of Alabama is a state funded (paid for by the taxpayers of the state of Alabama) institution of higher education; KSBE is a PRIVATE K-12 school that does not receive any outside funding. Attending an institution of higher education is optional; attending school through grade 12 is required in most states.

Regarding the outcome of the Rice v. Cayetano case, what makes a non-Hawaiian (specifically a haole) think he knows what's best for the kanaka maoli? Just because Fred Rice is from a family that has been in Hawai'i since the time of the missionaries doesn't mean he should make decisions for the kanaka maoli. Isn't that just a wee bit paternalistic and sort of the old plantation mentality? This is the same kind of crap that the brothers of the kanaka maoli, the Native Americans, have had to endure for over 100 years, too. If anyone really thinks the BIA has ever done anything good for the First People of America, they'd better go back to their history books. Oh wait, I forgot. All the history textbooks used in this country kinda present a revisionist history of how the West was won, so I guess that wouldn't work either. Most of the good things that the Indians have achieved is through their own efforts, not through handouts from the government. They learned their lessons well from their oppressors and are now using white man's laws to their advantage.

The Native Hawaiians are plenty smart; all they are asking for is the chance to make their own decisions for what's best for their people without interference from a government that has consistently eroded the birthrights of all the indigenous people it has ever come into contact with.

Miulang

P.S.: I really hope you don't call yourself a liberal or a progressive, speaking on behalf of "equal rights". People with opinions like yours deserve a party of your own. I also hope you don't currently live in Hawai'i, and if you do, that you keep your opinions to yourself. Many non-Hawaiians who live in Hawai'i and elsewhere agree 100% that KSBE should be able to create its own admission policies without interference from a government that the Native Hawaiians never agreed to be part of.
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• The Maui Rally

The Maui News reported today that at least 2,000 people showed up on the MCC campus to protest the KSBE decision. The turnout was even larger than the one last month to protest against the assaults of elderly people in Kahului.

Miulang

Comment

well said, Miu.
                              You should submit to da pepahzzzz!

Comment

Ditto on what braddah Kimo just said!

OMG! Did I really just say that?

Comment

Working...
                                X