• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where to go for breakfast?

Originally posted by stumphurple
    how did NOBODY mention

ZIPPY'S!!!

the antidote to hunger
    LOL! Really! How could we have forgotten about that!

BTW, alohacandy, is the Kaneohe Koa run by the same people as the other Koa
    Pancake houses? I tried the one in Aiea once and wasn't too impressed...

Comment

There's a really good (and inexpensive) place on Sand Island Access Road called (I think) the Lunch Box. Opens at 5:00, I think, and it's good. The girl who works the counter in the early mornings is cute, too. Can't complain about that.

I'm going to second Lynn's suggestions. Pancake House at Dillingham and Waiakamilo is so popular, there's almost always a line outside. BBQ Hut is wonderful, too, for its prices and friendly people; stay away on warm mornings, though -- that place can be an oven. It opens super-early, too. I can also vouch for Uptown Cafe and Jane's Fountain -- both very reasonably priced and good food, too.

My project for the next couple of months is to try all those good-looking breakfast places in the Airport Industrial area. I tried on place (the place with no line!) and was really disappointed, but with all those hard-working people in the area, you just know a few of these places has to be good.

Eggs & Things in Waikiki is very, very good, but it's not cheap.

Finally, while it may not be a popular suggestion among this crowd, I have to say that I just love breakfast at Denny's. Steak and eggs with home-fries? Yummo.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Count me as another vote for the Koa Pancake House, and I'll also chip in Brent's Deli in Kailua.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          Count me as another vote for the Koa Pancake House
          Oh, yeah! Last time I was back visiting family in Kane`ohe (their house is my #1 choice, but there isn't room for all of you, sorry...), one of the record company folks I met with suggested we have our "meeting" over breakfast there - memorable! (For all the right reasons.)

Comment

Originally posted by Shan-n
            Cinnamon's in Kailua is so delicious! Nice atmosphere and inexpensive. Plus they have da best pancakes!
            Another vote for Cinnamon's. Their carrot cake pancakes are awesome and I love their skillets, too!

Comment

I've never been here, but they seem to have an intriguing special:

The Grill at Luana Hills Country Club
              770 Auloa Rd, Kailua
              262-2139 ext 245
              Open to public
              from 6:30am

Early Bird Special on Sat & Sun:
              $2.99 for 2 pancakes, 2 strips of bacon, and 1 egg

Comment

Anybody out here in the "country" will find it worth their while to look up Rocky's Coffee House in old Waipahu. Awesome banana pancakes and a killer fried rice omelet. A recent renovation has made it much less of a dive than it used to be, but honestly that was part of the charm. We're flying home to the Bay Area tomorrow after a great one month stay at the in-laws and Rocky's will be our farewell breakfast.

Comment

Hmm, both The Grill at Luana Hills in Kailua and Rocky's are new to me. Kind of nice to hear about these little 'secret' spots that still exist. Sounds ono.

Gotta go try'em.

BTW, everybody that suggested Cinnamons was right on the mark. Went there for breakfast today and the omelette was awesome. So much stuff on the menu that it'll take many trips back to try'em all(not that I mind )
                  Thanks for the great suggestion!
                  Last edited by Vale46; January 5, 2006, 12:40 AM.

Comment

My friend and I was suppose to have breakfast at Big City Diners this morning but unfortunately we got there right when they changed over. I hear that the apple pancakes there are to die for. One of my favorite places to have breakfast is Flamingo's on Kapiolani blvd. The Hawaiian beef stew is yummy, its served only on weekends and they often run out. The japanese breakfast is great too.

Comment

Another vote for Anna Miller's. Can't say they've got the best "bang for the buck," or even neccessarily the best breakfast, but as a reliable stop for pancakes or eggs? You can count on a good meal there. The best part? The fact that you can get "breakfast" whenever you want.

After I fell in love with Ken's House of Pancakes in Hilo, Anna Miller's became the nearest equivalent in Honolulu to me. Yeah, the lines get long if you try to go at peak times, particularly of course Sunday mornings, but... 2 a.m.? Golden.

As for less-known, sentimental favorites? My dad turned me onto Jack's in Aina Haina Shopping Center. Across from the McDonald's, a few doors down from Chuck E. Cheese's. Very, very small place, limited hours, but it's great eats. The restaurant has a long history and tradition of keeping skilled folks in the kitchen... passed down to folks who know how to make a good biscuit.

Oh... Wailana Coffee House? A place I consistently gravitated toward when I was a troublemaker in Waikiki. We'd end up there after midnight, the servers would be grumpy, and the bread stale, but we went anyway. We stopped going after two friends had their cars broken into there in separate incidents within a couple of months.

Comment

Here are a few more:

Bogart's
                        --great list of bagels, omelets, etc in the morning, as well as yummy sandwiches, pizzas, salads, fruit etc at lunch
                        --gets crowded because it's a popular place
                        --3045 Monsarrat Avenue
                        --739-0999

Mi Casa Taqueria
                        --across the street from Bogart's
                        --Mexican place that now serves what I presume are Mexican-style breakfasts
                        --haven't had their breakfast items but their regular menu is great

Boston's Waffle Shoppe
                        --"Manoa's Sweet Spot for Weekend Brunch"
                        --Extended hours/expanded menu
                        --8am to 12:30pm
                        --2740 E. Manoa Rd
                        --358-7189

Comment

I don't think anyone mentioned "Boots & Kimo's" in Kailua, so I hope it's still open. Their banana pancakes with macadamia nut sauce are exceptional! The rest of the menu is ho-hum, though.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                            I'm in there often with my mom. If you see a "Local" Haole guy and a sweet little grey haired lady, stop by and say... Menehune Man?

P.S. I love it!
                            Shucks, I should have read the message board sooner.... I was just at Cinnamon's on Saturday morning. Were you there Menehune Man?? I had the S.A.N.D.!!! YUUUMMMMYYYY!! I'll be on the lookout for you next time...

Comment

Originally posted by Vale46

BTW, everybody that suggested Cinnamons was right on the mark. Went there for breakfast today and the omelette was awesome. So much stuff on the menu that it'll take many trips back to try'em all(not that I mind )
                              Thanks for the great suggestion!
                              Glad to hear you enjoyed it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vale46
                                LOL! Really! How could we have forgotten about that!

BTW, alohacandy, is the Kaneohe Koa run by the same people as the other Koa
                                Pancake houses? I tried the one in Aiea once and wasn't too impressed...

I'm not sure if they are owned/run by the same people.

Oh yes...forgot bout Jack's in Aina Haina Shopping Center....good, reasonably priced, fast service, large servings.

Comment

Working...
                                X