Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hobbit

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
    He's making two Hobbit movies?! I'm guessing that they've realized that you can't cram the entire story into one 2-hour (or even 3-hour) movie, so it's being split in two. I wonder where the dividing line will be drawn?
    Maybe one of the movies would expand on the creation of the ring itself, maybe Gollum before he encountered the ring, or about Middle Earth itself.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
      I'm disappointed that Jackson won't be directing.
      QFT. Unless he has a prodege director under his wing for some time.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Seems odd that they would cite one bad movie as the reason they don't want him on another one. . . You know, considering all the questionable films he worked on prior to LotR.

Phantasm
        Dead Alive
        etc.

Maybe one of the movies would expand on the creation of the ring itself, maybe Gollum before he encountered the ring, or about Middle Earth itself.
        They really shouldn't mess with it, IMO. Tolkein's classics are fine the way they are, no reason to go out and create story just to make a few bucks. If they wanna do another Tolkein movie after the Hobbit they should do Silmarillion.
        Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

You know, considering all the questionable films he worked on prior to LotR.

Phantasm
          Dead Alive
          etc.
          Hahahahaha... I always forget about all those pre-LOTR flops! And then King Kong was pitiful... but Middle Earth is what Jackson does best so I do wish he was in the Director's Chair...
          Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

I honestly don't know which Phantasm film he did, but AFAIK, New Line did not distribute Dead Alive (original title Braindead) in the US.

They can cite King Kong (2005) because New Line put money into that one.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              The buzz is the second movie will involve a story that links the Hobbit with the LOTR trilogy.
              What the Sequel Might Look Like

MGM’s original idea seems to have been to make The Hobbit in two parts. That would make sense. Of course, Tolkien’s first novel is shorter than Rings, but a lot had to be left out of the trilogy in the adaptation. The Hobbit breaks into two almost equal halves, with the break coming where Gandalf leaves Bilbo and the Dwarves at the edge of Mirkwood. Making two three-hour parts would allow the filmmakers to adapt the book without eliminating much of anything. Despite its episodic quest/journey form, The Hobbit is actually quite carefully structured, and there are no incidents that can simply be eliminated as neatly and cleanly as, say, the Tom Bombadil portion of Rings.

Still, the announcement is for a one-film adaptation and a sequel that takes place before the action of Rings. That’s a gap of sixty years, years about which Tolkien left only the sketchiest of indications. Such events as we know of come primarily from mentions in Appendices A and B and in exposition given by Gandalf in the “Shadow of the Past” chapter in Rings and by various characters at the Council of Elrond. On TORN, Corvar has helpfully summarized what those events are:

* The White Council meets to discuss The Necromancer (aka Sauron)
              * The White Council (including Saruman and Gandalf) attack The Necromancer’s stronghold at Dol Guldur. This is to prevent Sauron from searching the river for the Ring. Sauron abandons Dol Guldur and takes up residence in Mordor.
              * Gollum leaves the mountain, searching for the “thief” Baggins.
              * Sauron declared himself openly, starting to gather power to Mordor.
              * Aragorn searches the wilds for Gollum.
              * Aragorn’s engagement to Arwen.
              * Frodo’s birth.
              I'm glad it's being made.

SOURCE
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

I hope a lot of the actors will be able to reprise their roles, like Ian McKellan and Christopher Lee

Comment

Don't they have to take Christopher Lee out of cold storage?

Just kidding. I, an old-timer, shouldn't make fun of older old-timers.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    Don't they have to take Christopher Lee out of cold storage?

Just kidding. I, an old-timer, shouldn't make fun of older old-timers.
                    LOL! He's thawing as we speak....Dick Clark has been thawing since Halloween and should be ready tonight

Flickr

Comment

Sorry, I no can make fun of America's Oldest Teenager since he had a stroke that hasn't given back complete mobility and speech (as in before the stroke).

Comment

The latest from EW .....
                        It's back to Middle Earth for Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and the boys from New Line. Finally, the years of disputes have ended, and the partners (including co-producer and co-distributor MGM) are gearing up for two new Hobbit movies. EW investigated, talking to the parties behind the negotiations to uncover how everything got resolved, and to get an idea of what viewers can expect of these adaptations of J.R.R. Tolkien's original literary masterpiece. Here's the lowdown:

Jackson and his life/creative partner Walsh have always envisioned the big-screen adaptation of The Hobbit as two movies. The first would deal with the 80-year old novel. The second, imagined entirely by Jackson and Walsh, would link the conclusion of The Hobbit to the start of the first Lord of the Rings book, The Fellowship of the Ring. New Line and Jackson will develop the properties over the next year with hopes of entering into pre-production by 2009 for a 2010 and 2011 release. No writers, including Jackson, Walsh, and their longtime partner Philippa Boyens, have been commissioned. (None can be, because of the strike.)
                        It's a go Folks

SOURCE

Flickr

Comment

Yeah, alohabear. It's old news, courtesy of Kiwidiva.

I'm still waiting who will direct the films. So far, PJ is only taking the executive producer role.

Comment

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4379195a1860.html

Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back instalments of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit, which is being co-financed by New Line and MGM.
                            My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Correction: I'm still waiting for PJ to officially direct the films.

Comment

Correction: I'm still waiting for PJ to officially direct the films
                                No matter who "officially" directs the films - PJ will be the "unofficial" director - IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X