Weather updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weather updates

Rain stopped, thunder stopped, still zero wind (so could it be any more humid?!?), and the sky looks to be clearing. Radar images look good at the moment.
    I/me/myself will keep my fingers crossed.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      You don't say, "it was not me", you say, "it was not I"...
      Actually, I do say "it was not me". Therefore, according to your principle, I was correct to say "Not me".
      Greg

Comment

You put your answer in the context of a complete sentence, that is the principle. You don't say, "it was not me", you say, "it was not I"...in the context of "I was not it"....not "ME was not it." It is basic grammar, which even matapule understands.
        Originally posted by GregLee View Post
        Actually, I do say "it was not me". Therefore, according to your principle, I was correct to say "Not me".
        Here ya go!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          And there's also an existing Grammar Thread here on HT at this link.
          So, back to the weather. Over here, no rain, cloudy, very light tradewinds.

Comment

I'm sorta sad that I missed the thunderstorms. I haven't seen clouds too often in southern california.
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Here we go again, at 5am Saturday. Thunder, lightning, heavy rain, tradewinds at 20 to 25. It's baaaack!
              I didn't know until I watched the news last night that we also had HAIL yesterday morning, in several places around Oahu including here in Kaneohe. Lots of pictures on the TV news shows, which you can probably see on their websites. Hailstones were the size of large peas.

Comment

You can say, "it was not me" all you want but it does not make it grammatically correct. The correct usage is, "it was not I" and therefore "not I."

Read Tutu's link, it explains it all there.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Read Tutu's link, it explains it all there.
                  I did read it (well, some of it). The trouble is that it doesn't give reasons -- it's just a serious of unsupported statements about what the author thinks is correct. Why should I believe it? If I made a web site saying what I think is correct, would you believe me?
                  Greg

Comment

Who thinks the weather this morning indicates a great beach day? (It is) Not I. Now, in defense of you, Greg, while that link supports matapule it also states:
                    ...but fortunately most grammarians forgive you for not following the rule. In her aptly titled book Woe Is I, Patricia O'Connor notes that almost everyone says, “It is me,” and that the “It is I” construction is almost extinct...
                    Me just noticed that it's raining in Manoa Valley!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Me just noticed that it's raining in Manoa Valley!
                      I know that's a joke, but the "Me" in that sentence is not acceptable in contemporary English because it is an unconjoined subject of a finite verb, which according to a rule formulated by the linguist Edward Klima, is the only place we still have subjective (or "nominative") forms in English. I think the only real case of disagreement among English speakers, not counting those trying to follow a now archaic standard, is the case where a finite verb is understood. In "He is taller than I am", where "am" is explicit, you only get "I" and never "me". But in "He is taller than I", where "am" is understood, many English speakers say "me" instead of "I".
                      Greg

Comment

Anyone else think our main daily should drop their worthless weather page?
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I think the only real case of disagreement among English speakers, not counting those trying to follow a now archaic standard, is the case where a finite verb is understood.
                          One person's archaic standard is another person's correct grammar. Which just goes to show how nonsensical it was to jump all over SusieMisajon for her grammar.
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I did read it (well, some of it). The trouble is that it doesn't give reasons -- it's just a serious of unsupported statements about what the author thinks is correct. Why should I believe it? If I made a web site saying what I think is correct, would you believe me?
                            Certainly not, because your use of incorrect grammar shows your ignorance.

It gave plenty of explanations! Did you not understand them?
                            The part you should have read was:

"In standard written English, the personal pronouns in the predicate nominative are the same as they would be in the subject. Most Americans do not speak this way, but it is grammatically correct.

In standard written English, the personal pronouns in the predicate nominative are the same as they would be in the subject. Most Americans do not speak this way, but it is grammatically correct.
                            (...)
                            Even though we may often say, "It's me" the grammatically correct way is "It's I." "

This relates to your "Not me" argument. You can use incorrect grammar if you want, but if you insist that incorrect grammar is correct, it makes you look stupid.

FWIW, you seem to be more concerned with stroking your ego by winning arguments than learning something and admitting you can make a mistake.

That attitude will not get you far here.

This message is cross-posted to The Grammar Thread, and should be continued there, not here.
                            Last edited by Kaonohi; June 4, 2011, 05:41 PM.
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

But in "He is taller than I", where "am" is understood, many English speakers say "me" instead of "I".
                              Yes, knowledge of proper English is going down the tubes, making us look like a nation of idiots.
                              Getting back to the TOPIC of this thread - we have had rain going down OUR tubes each morning for the last two days. Each day accompanied by extensive thunder and lightning, enough thunder to shake the house, some closer than five miles.
                              The waterfalls are spectacular, the stream is overflowing, and now at 5:30 PM it has started raining again.
                              Will this be another 40 days and nights of rain?
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Here we go again, at 5am Saturday. Thunder, lightning, heavy rain, tradewinds at 20 to 25. It's baaaack!
                                Hey, quit hogging the fun stuff and send some town side once in a while!

Comment

Working...
                                X